Federal Judge to Capital Riot Defender: Gore Was Man About Loss While Trump Isn't - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I absolutely agree with this federal judge. Gore also had more of a basis to challenge his election loss than Trump ever had. This judge is correct in calling this capital riot defender gullible for believing election lies spewed from republicans and Trump about the 2020 election. The capital rioters were just gullible.

By Hannah Rabinowitz and Holmes Lybrand of CNN wrote:A federal judge took aim at former President Donald Trump on Monday for lying about voter fraud during the 2020 presidential election, saying that former Vice President Al Gore had a better standing to challenge the 2000 election results but that he was "a man" and walked away.

"Al Gore had a better case to argue than Mr. Trump, but he was a man about what happened to him," Senior District Judge Reggie Walton said of Gore's decision to end his presidential bid following weeks of legal battles. "He accepted it and walked away."

The comments from Walton came during a plea hearing for Capitol riot defendant Adam Johnson, who was photographed carrying House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's lectern through the Capitol building. He pleaded guilty on Monday to a low-level charge of entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds.

"What concerns me, sir, is that you were gullible enough to come to Washington, DC, from Florida based on a lie," Walton said, "and the person who inspired you to do what you do is still making those statements, and my concern is that you are gullible enough to do it again."

Walton, who was appointed by the man who defeated Gore, former President George W. Bush, is the most recent to add his voice to a chorus of judges criticizing Trump for lying to his supporters. Last week, a federal judge also suggested Trump had some responsibility for the attack on the Capitol and called the rioters "pawns" who were provoked into action.

Johnson, 36, told Walton that he accepted responsibility for getting "caught up in the moment," and said that a "hard couple of years" led him to spend a lot of time "listening to a lot of information and reading things" online.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/22/poli ... index.html
What a pathetic little minded person this judge is. I can't believe how stupid some people are. So stupid that they fail to recognise Trump's political acumen. Trump's win in 2016 was incredible, absolutely incredible. Yes, yes I don't deny Trump had a very privileged start in life, but that still can't negate his amazing indeed staggering success in 2016. What on earth could he do for an encore. Now I'm not denying that Trump really wanted to win in 2020. If he had won again in 2020 it would have remarkable, just because it was him, a politician who had never held public office or position in the military. But still winning a contiguous second term would hardly have made him unique.

However what would be amazing is if he lost in 2020 and then came back to win in 24. in fact just to come back and be the party's nominee in 2024 would be amazing, when was the last time an American President got another run after losing? To have chance of coming back in 2024, Trump had to say that he hadn't really lost in 2020. he not only had to say it, but he had to convince a lot of other people that he hadn't really lost. I normally try and avoid swearing on the forum, so I'm sorry but this just needs the emphasis. Trump is a bloody genius. And he's incredibly brave as well. Trump had to push things so far that people really believed that he believed that the election had been stolen, but not quite so far as to end up in jail or getting himself barred from office.
Rich wrote:
What a pathetic little minded person this judge is.

I can't believe how stupid some people are. So stupid that they fail to recognise Trump's political acumen. Trump's win in 2016 was incredible, absolutely incredible. Yes, yes I don't deny Trump had a very privileged start in life, but that still can't negate his amazing indeed staggering success in 2016. What on earth could he do for an encore. Now I'm not denying that Trump really wanted to win in 2020. If he had won again in 2020 it would have remarkable, just because it was him, a politician who had never held public office or position in the military. But still winning a contiguous second term would hardly have made him unique.

Trump is a bloody genius.

And he's incredibly brave as well.

Trump had to push things so far that people really believed that he believed that the election had been stolen, but not quite so far as to end up in jail or getting himself barred from office.

That says a great deal about you, and nothing about that judge. Facts are stubborn things..

Trump is mentally ill, a sociopath, and foolish Americans joined his cult.

Actually, he struggled in school (his Dad bought his degree, basically). He knows how to con people, but that's pretty much all he knows.

Like all bullies, he's a coward.

Yeah, he let others take the fall, for his lie.
late wrote:That says a great deal about you, and nothing about that judge. Facts are stubborn things.

Well you could be possibly be right it could say more about my intelligence than his stupidity. But it seems like its you that has a problem with the facts. Trump is currently the front runner for the Republican nomination, even if he doesn't get the nomination its a remarkable achievement to be the front runner at the end of 2021 after losing the 2020 election.

Trump is mentally ill, a sociopath, and foolish Americans joined his cult.

Well 74 million voted for him in 2020. How many liberal experts told us he wouldn't last a year in office, never mind serve a full term, stand again and get 74 million votes. Who could have predicted that he'd actually be polling ahead of the President Joe Biden.

Yeah, he let others take the fall, for his lie.

Oh for God's sake. What top politician doesn't let others take the fall for him?
Rancid wrote:I think Republicans will be successful in stealing the election in 2024 if they lose again.

There's a good chance we will become a one party state.

You're already a one party state. It's just that one faction of that party now wants to eliminate its rival faction, in the same way that the Stalinist faction liquidated the Trotskyist faction of the Bolshevik Party in Russia in the late 1920s. You're in danger of becoming a one faction state, if you like.
Potemkin wrote:You're already a one party state. It's just that one faction of that party now wants to eliminate its rival faction, in the same way that the Stalinist faction liquidated the Trotskyist faction of the Bolshevik Party in Russia in the late 1920s. You're in danger of becoming a one faction state, if you like.

Fair enough.
tomskunk wrote:Gore also had more of a basis to challenge his election loss than Trump ever had.

He sure did. Rumour has it Gore took Florida. They wouldn't even allow a recount. And that isn't even discussing the confusing ballots which in itself could have been a challenge.

The truth is Gores era was just before the political warfare. When both parties respected each other and had etiquette. When the nation came first. The SCOTUS made a judgement and Gore accepted that judgement when clearly he was robbed. But since Trump has changed the rules of the game, every election is going to be contested from now on. There is no respect in US politics any more.
B0ycey wrote:
He sure did. Rumour has it Gore took Florida. They wouldn't even allow a recount. And that isn't even discussing the confusing ballots which in itself could have been a challenge.

The truth is Gores era was just before the political warfare. When both parties respected each other and had etiquette. When the nation came first. The SCOTUS made a judgement and Gore accepted that judgement when clearly he was robbed. But since Trump has changed the rules of the game, every election is going to be contested from now on. There is no respect in US politics any more.

Economics -- after the dotcom bubble popped the ruling establishment no longer had it comfy and they had to *scramble* to figure out a next-move, which *promotes* factionalism. And here we are today, still with no real GDP growth for over two decades now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble
Potemkin wrote:You're already a one party state.

Well arguably the problems, or rather the discontent that so many Americans seem to be experiencing is because the parties are too different, not because they are two similarly. America has only emerged as a proper two party system relatively recently. I argue that the two party system is bad, but America adds the two leader presidential system on top of this. I argue that the two leader system is even more dysfunctional and crass than the two party system.

The supposed selling point of the two party system is that it is supposed to provide a simple, real choice between 2 legitimate acceptable alternatives. its supposed to give the voter a real choice, but for the outcome to be acceptable to the overwhelming majority of voters even if their party of preferences is out of power. But the reality of the dumbed down discourse of the two party system is that one of the main ways the parties and their core supporters seek to win is by delegitimising the other party. Maybe you don't think much of us, but you have to vote for us because the other party / guy is totally unacceptable.

When Labour opened up its leader selection to non members, loads of Tory members purchased temporary membership and voted for Jeremy Corbyn. We then had to endure them criss crossing the television studios whining on and on about how they wished labour was an effective opposition. A similiar thing happened in America where the Clintons encouraged Trump to enter the Republican nomination race and the liberal media gave him as a soft a ride as they could possible get away with, because they believed he would damage the Republicans chances. Which he did. And then of course screamed blue murder when he actually won the presidency. Trump's refusal to accept that Biden won fairly is just a continuation or an intensification of the delegitimisation strategy.
Rich wrote:Well arguably the problems, or rather the discontent that so many Americans seem to be experiencing is because the parties are too different, not because they are two similarly. America has only emerged as a proper two party system relatively recently. I argue that the two party system is bad, but America adds the two leader presidential system on top of this. I argue that the two leader system is even more dysfunctional and crass than the two party system.

The supposed selling point of the two party system is that it is supposed to provide a simple, real choice between 2 legitimate acceptable alternatives. its supposed to give the voter a real choice, but for the outcome to be acceptable to the overwhelming majority of voters even if their party of preferences is out of power. But the reality of the dumbed down discourse of the two party system is that one of the main ways the parties and their core supporters seek to win is by delegitimising the other party. Maybe you don't think much of us, but you have to vote for us because the other party / guy is totally unacceptable.

When Labour opened up its leader selection to non members, loads of Tory members purchased temporary membership and voted for Jeremy Corbyn. We then had to endure them criss crossing the television studios whining on and on about how they wished labour was an effective opposition. A similiar thing happened in America where the Clintons encouraged Trump to enter the Republican nomination race and the liberal media gave him as a soft a ride as they could possible get away with, because they believed he would damage the Republicans chances. Which he did. And then of course screamed blue murder when he actually won the presidency. Trump's refusal to accept that Biden won fairly is just a continuation or an intensification of the delegitimisation strategy.

The two parties can delegitimise each other while still being virtual clones of each other, @Rich. After all, Stalin delegitimised Trotsky's Left Opposition, and then once they had been safely disposed of, he adopted their policy platform wholesale, and called it 'Stalinism'. :)
tomskunk wrote:I absolutely agree with this federal judge. Gore also had more of a basis to challenge his election loss than Trump ever had. This judge is correct in calling this capital riot defender gullible for believing election lies spewed from republicans and Trump about the 2020 election. The capital rioters were just gullible.

It's not a lie. A lie presumes someone can be logical but misinformed. Election fraud was just the justification for the emotional belief that as superior rightwing dipshits they deserve power and therefore a win by any non-GOP candidate is illegitimate.

People who go to church aren't "lied" to. The thousands of years of religious theory and historical research aren't lies either. Trump is just a demented Fox News grandpa who babbles to his audience about how the evil communist fascist leftists want to take away your burgers, functional toilets, and make your children stop calling you just because they're sensitive about a few words you keep calling their non-white spouse.

Trump could tell them Hillary manipulated the election from the moon or that North Korea used Chinese bamboo ballots to cast fake votes, they don't care, the point is that he is their preacher and representative of the one true belief of rightwing though: "I deserve to be an asshole who treats everyone else like shit and you must respect me for being so great."
tomskunk wrote:
The capital rioters were just gullible.

SpecialOlympian wrote:
It's not a lie. A lie presumes someone can be logical but misinformed. Election fraud was just the justification for the emotional belief that as superior rightwing dipshits they deserve power and therefore a win by any non-GOP candidate is illegitimate.

People who go to church aren't "lied" to. The thousands of years of religious theory and historical research aren't lies either. Trump is just a demented Fox News grandpa who babbles to his audience about how the evil communist fascist leftists want to take away your burgers, functional toilets, and make your children stop calling you just because they're sensitive about a few words you keep calling their non-white spouse.

Trump could tell them Hillary manipulated the election from the moon or that North Korea used Chinese bamboo ballots to cast fake votes, they don't care, the point is that he is their preacher and representative of the one true belief of rightwing though: "I deserve to be an asshole who treats everyone else like shit and you must respect me for being so great."

SO is right -- the Jan 6 rioters / looters had a *goal*, to deny the inauguration to Biden, so that was explicitly, consciously *political* and not a mere aw-shucks non-culpable 'gullibility' on their part.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I don't know who are you are referring to, but th[…]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]

In my opinion, masculinity has declined for all o[…]

@ingliz good to know, so why have double standar[…]