Biden Promises To Use Race And Gender To Pick The Next SCOTUS Justice - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Istanbuller wrote:In this case, this will not represent the population properly. African Americans will be overly represented if he picks an African American woman.

I am not talking about your weird math argument.

Right now, the SCOTUS ignores how its decisions affect certain minorities. Having a black woman on it may change that.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I am not talking about your weird math argument.

Right now, the SCOTUS ignores how its decisions affect certain minorities. Having a black woman on it may change that.

There is something called social justice in leftist spectrum. Why do you want African American people to be represented more than their share in the population?

Biden's thoughts sounds pretty offensive to Hispanic Americans.
Istanbuller wrote:There is something called social justice in leftist spectrum. Why do you want African American people to be represented more than their share in the population?

Biden's thoughts sounds pretty offensive to Hispanic Americans.

I think that you do not understand the leftist view of social justice.
Rancid wrote:This is why the Democrats will lose in 2024.

Fucking morons.

Black women voters are one of the most reliable voting blocs the Democrats have, so I can see why he'd do that.

That said, hell, I support him. I think it's hilarious watching white men lose their shit because the next nominee isn't just default cookie cutter white dude. I think one frat bro rapist is enough for the past decade.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Having a black woman on the SCOTUS would probably help regain some trust in the SCOTUS, since black people and women would feel they have some representation.

And there is also evidence from the business sector that having more diverse leadership is a good idea.

This is perfect Democrat action: representation without power. The one black dude we currently have on the SCOTUS is a legit perv who is also married to a white woman who believed senile Biden stole the election from super strong genius Trump.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Black women voters are one of the most reliable voting blocs the Democrats have, so I can see why he'd do that.

Perhaps, but I still think it's a bad move to call it out. Those black women will be happy just to see the nominee regardless. They aren't dumb.

I see this sort of thing turning off the independent suburban voter.

oh man.... I don't want another MAGA moron in the white house. :hmm:
Rancid wrote:
Perhaps, but I still think it's a bad move to call it out. Those black women will be happy just to see the nominee regardless. They aren't dumb.

I see this sort of thing turning off the independent suburban voter.

oh man.... I don't want another MAGA moron in the white house. :hmm:

It was the price.

You mean suburban racists. Problem is, you can't have your racists and make racial progress at the same time.

The country is at a crossroads, fascists or the American tradition of representative government. I can only hope American voters don't play Russia roulette with a fully loaded revolver.
late wrote:You mean suburban racists.

I don't really want to defend suburban white independents (I work with a lot of this type), but here it goes.

Calling them racist is too simplistic of a outlook on it, and serves to exactly alienate them and send them away from Democrats. That label needs to be used more sparingly, otherwise it loses its weight, and pushes away potential voters. Anyway, I work/know many of these suburban independent types. What they value in America is merit over all else. They certainly recognize that they have certain advantages due to historical reasons, and that other groups have disadvantages. They generally do support DEI efforts (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) within corporations and government, but they want that balanced with the concept of merit. BTW, some of these white people I know volunteer at local majority non-white schools teaching robotics, programming, etc. etc. The idea being, that you have to create the pipeline of talent/professional by reaching the youngsters early and first. Their view is that there are very few qualified non-whites because we are under investing in non-white children (which is obviously true). They tend not to like the short circuit band aid of shoe horning people into a specific job because non-qualification based reasons. That is not fundamental enough to really solve this problem and could set people up to fail.

Their view, with respect to the judge would be, if she really is qualified, there's no need to call out her race and gender as a requirement. It will be plainly obvious she's a black woman anyway. This would have been the better political move. Black people and women aren't stupid, they can see she is black and a women. :lol: Biden doesn't have to tell them like they are idiots. Now Fox News and MAGA morons are going to run with this, and fear monger like crazy. They will peel away a few of those independents.

Just calling them racist means you fail to understand them, and in that vein, you stand to lose them to MAGA idiots.

BTW, I fucking hate Democrats, it's just, at this point, the insidiousness and gutlessness of the Republican party is far more dangerous to the fabric of this nation than what the Democrats are currently hawking. Whatever damage Democrats can do, can be fixed. What the Republicans are trying to do, cannot be fixed.
Rancid wrote:
I don't really want to defend suburban white independents (I work with a lot of this type), but here it goes.

Calling them racist is too simplistic of a outlook on it, and serves to exactly alienate them and send them away from Democrats. That label needs to be used more sparingly, otherwise it loses its weight, and pushes away potential voters. Anyway, I work/know many of these suburban independent types. What they value in America is merit over all else. They certainly recognize that they have certain advantages due to historical reasons, and that other groups have disadvantages. They generally do support DEI efforts (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) within corporations and government, but they want that balanced with the concept of merit. BTW, some of these white people I know volunteer at local majority non-white schools teaching robotics, programming, etc. etc. The idea being, that you have to create the pipeline of talent/professional by reaching the youngsters early and first. Their view is that there are very few qualified non-whites because we are under investing in non-white children (which is obviously true). They tend not to like the short circuit band aid of shoe horning people into a specific job because non-qualification based reasons. That is not fundamental enough to really solve this problem and could set people up to fail.

Their view, with respect to the judge would be, if she really is qualified, there's no need to call out her race and gender as a requirement. It will be plainly obvious she's a black woman anyway. This would have been the better political move. Black people and women aren't stupid, they can see she is black and a women. :lol: Biden doesn't have to tell them like they are idiots. Now Fox News and MAGA morons are going to run with this, and fear monger like crazy. They will peel away a few of those independents.

Just calling them racist means you fail to understand them, and in that vein, you stand to lose them to MAGA idiots.

BTW, I fucking hate Democrats, it's just, at this point, the insidiousness and gutlessness of the Republican party is far more dangerous to the fabric of this nation than what the Democrats are currently hawking. Whatever damage Democrats can do, can be fixed. What the Republicans are trying to do, cannot be fixed.

This has been studied extensively, and the results are depressing.

As I pointed out a couple days ago the two front runners are stellar candidates. In fact, we don't have to hide their court records the way Moscow Mitch had to do for Kavanaugh...

While you need diversity, the ideal candidate would have Harvard law Review, clerked for a SC justice, and experience in multiple Fed courts. Jackson has all that and more.

Childs is brilliant and would also be an excellent choice.

What you are saying is dumb excuses used to avoid the obvious. Americans are racist, they simply don't want to admit it. But if you pay attention to racism, it's not exactly a secret.
Last edited by late on 31 Jan 2022 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
wat0n wrote:
The obvious being what? That Jackson is qualified yet because of Biden's virtue signaling there will be those labeling as a diversity hire?

The obvious part is those clowns neither know nor care what her qualifications are...

That politicians say political things, and there are few people more full of shit than Moscow Mitch. So where was the screaming when Mitch was doing the same thing for Whites?
late wrote:Americans are racist, they simply don't want to admit it.

This is the problem with statements like that. They are just as ridiculous as "All blacks are criminals".

I'm an American. You calling me racist?

This attitude is EXACTLY why I'm saying democrats are going to lose. They don't get it. Worse than that, they aren't bothering to actually understand their potential voters! Apparently you don't either.
Rancid wrote:
This is the problem with statements like that. They are just as ridiculous as "All blacks are criminals".

I'm an American. You calling me racist?

This attitude is EXACTLY why I'm saying democrats are going to lose. They don't get it. Worse than that, they aren't bothering to actually understand their potential voters! Apparently you don't either.

First, racism is a continuum... almost all of us are racist, to one degree or another.

Second, as I said, this has been studied extensively.

Third, if I was being political, like working the phones in a campaign, it's not something I would say. I used to try and show the studies, and how Blacks experience it. But denial is a wonderful thing.

Fourth, the national party isn't supporting state and local affiliates adequately. Republicans do, with programs like Red State. That's what I see as their big weakness.

Fifth, and last, the party in power almost always loses seats in the midterm. They need to do a much better job of reminding people of their accomplishments.
late wrote:racism is a continuum

Then you should stop using blanket statements, define the continuum, and note exactly were you think each person in America sits on the continuum.

late wrote:Second, as I said, this has been studied extensively.

What has been studied? That announcing race and gender as a job requirement wins you elections?

late wrote:Third, if I was being political, like working the phones in a campaign, it's not something I would say. I used to try and show the studies, and how Blacks experience it. But denial is a wonderful thing.

Wit ha subject such as this, you basically always have to think politically.

late wrote:Fourth, the national party isn't supporting state and local affiliates adequately. Republicans do, with programs like Red State. That's what I see as their big weakness.

You are making my point. Democrats are going to lose. This whole thing is theirs to lose, and they are fucking losing it. Ridiculous.

late wrote:Fifth, and last, the party in power almost always loses seats in the midterm. They need to do a much better job of reminding people of their accomplishments.

They will lose bigger than they should, is my point.
late wrote:The obvious part is those clowns neither know nor care what her qualifications are...

That politicians say political things, and there are few people more full of shit than Moscow Mitch. So where was the screaming when Mitch was doing the same thing for Whites?

And yet that will resonate among those who do care, precisely because of Biden's announcement. That's the people @Rancid is speaking about.

I don't think the GOP ever made race or gender a big deal in nominating their judges. For them, the big deal was ideology and the most recent example was Amy Coney Barrett where the debate centered on her whether she's an anti-abortion hardline conservative. If I'm not mistaken, the current sole Black justice is also a hardline conservative, nominated by the GOP, and Bush I did not announce he was nominated because of his race (this did not stop Democrats from opposing him either, even before Anita Hill showed up). Bush I was also concerned about getting at least a passing grade from the American Bar Association as far as his merits were concerned, since Clarence Thomas was on the weaker side although he was still graded as "qualified". I'm guessing he appreciates not being labeled as a diversity hire, even more so since he claims had to deal with something similar early in his career:

Wiki wrote:Thomas entered Yale Law School, from which he received a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree in 1974, graduating in the middle of his class.[25] Thomas has said that the law firms he applied to after graduating from Yale did not take his Juris Doctor seriously, assuming he obtained it because of affirmative action;[26] Dean Louis Pollak wrote in 1969 that Yale Law was then expanding its program of quotas for black applicants, with up to 24 entering that year under a system that deemphasized grades and LSAT scores.[27] According to Thomas, the law firms also "asked pointed questions, unsubtly suggesting that they doubted I was as smart as my grades indicated."[28] In his 2007 memoir, Thomas wrote, "I peeled a fifteen-cent sticker off a package of cigars and stuck it on the frame of my law degree to remind myself of the mistake I'd made by going to Yale. I never did change my mind about its value."[29]
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

is it you , Moscow Marjorie ? https://exte[…]

This year, Canada spent more paying interest on it[…]

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachment[…]

On the epidemic of truth inversion

Environmental factors and epigenetic expressions […]