Biden Promises To Use Race And Gender To Pick The Next SCOTUS Justice - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
During the 2020 campaign, President Joe Biden pledged to nominate a black woman to the big bench. If successful, his approval rating will pick up. Joe Biden's overall approval rating stabilized at a low level of 40% because he failed to fulfil these campaign promises. Clarence Thomas, who was picked based on his race, has been a complete disaster. His wife, Ginni Thomas, backs a lawsuit seeking to end affirmative action and she has obviously manipulated Clarence Thomas' decisions on the Supreme Court.

I was wondering when the whining would start.

If you were to draw up a checklist for the ideal candidate, it would be Harvard Law Review, clerked for a SC justice, and experience in a couple different federal courts.

The front runner checks all the boxes, her name might be Jackson.

Now, you wouldn't want all of the judges to be like that. You need depth, someone with experience in civil rights, for example, someone good with business law, it rarely happens but a prof of Constitutional law would be fantastic.

Child, the other front runner, would add experience the court doesn't currently have, and she's a superb justice. There is something called a judicial temperment. Clarence Thomas is really lacking in that regard, but all the recently appointed kooks are deficient to differing degrees. Child has judicial temperment in spades.

What I am saying is either of the front runners could run circles around most of the kook judges. Their skin may be black, but their intelligence, integrity and commitment to the Law is beyond reproach.
Pants-of-dog wrote:The vast majority of people nominated to the SCOTUS have been chosen by race and sex, i.e. white males. Kavanaugh is the latest example.

Let's say you are right. Still, calling this out as a requirement for the job is just bad politics. Clearly its red meat for the woke crowd, but for the rest of everyone else, whom he promised to unite. Sounds un-meritocratic.

What he should have done is simply nominate a black women, and not call it out as requirement.
@Rancid

But we also need a supreme court that accurately represents the interests of the ENITRE population of the United States and not just ONLY rich white males. The only people irked by this are rich white males who have a sense of entitlement to being the ONLY ONE represented in government and the justice system. That's what they want, they want to keep it that way. They don't want an accurate representation of the U.S. population in government or the justice system because then that threatens their EXCESSIVE privilege and power they currently wield. And we all know, it's ALL ABOUT POWER when it comes to republicans and not wholesome principles.
XogGyux wrote:Let's just wait for Mitch to block the nomination. :lol:

Maybe Biden was self-sabotaging on purpose.

Politics_Observer wrote:@Rancid

But we also need a supreme court that accurately represents the interests of the ENITRE population of the United States and not just ONLY rich white males. The only people irked by this are rich white males who have a sense of entitlement to being the ONLY ONE represented in government and the justice system. That's what they want, they want to keep it that way. They don't want an accurate representation of the U.S. population in government or the justice system because then that threatens their EXCESSIVE privilege and power they currently wield. And we all know, it's ALL ABOUT POWER when it comes to republicans and not wholesome principles.

Sure, but the problem is Americans also want a meritocracy more than anything else. Calling out this requirement doesn't help the political climate at all. Aside from that, we should not be so dismissive of white people. That goes against the very principle of inclusivity those on the left like to claim they have.
Rancid wrote:What he should have done is simply nominate a black women, and not call it out as requirement.

That's what would have been done by a smart administration, but Biden wanted to be credited for this twice to ensure his popularity with Blacks and so-called progressives, even though it makes the whole thing controversial to the rest. He wanted to be credited for this announcement once, and for the actual nomination once again, which is pretty much opportunistic. Maybe he thought it wouldn't be big enough to simply nominate a Black woman for SCOTUS justice after he'd picked a Black woman as his running mate and now his VP, with which he also made history. I thought he was Obama's puppet, but now I tend to believe he does his own thing as president because Obama'd be smarter.

Rancid wrote:Maybe Biden was self-sabotaging on purpose.

No, he's just that mediocre indeed.
Beren wrote:Maybe there's no problem indeed and the next SCOTUS justice must be a Black woman anyway, no one should even be guessing outside the right domain of candidates determined by the appropriate combination of the right race and gender. :lol:

That depends on the current composition of the court. Women are certainly not overrepresented. Blacks might be with 2 of 9.
Rugoz wrote:I don't see the problem.

The idea that that the SCOTUS is a meritocratic institution is simply inane.

Representation (aka politics) matters.

Maybe, but this will just push whoever is the Republican president in 2024 to simply go harder on some wacko conservative now. In the name of representation.

Republicans are taking the white house in 2024 for sure. The democrats are making this too easy for them. My hope is that it's not a Trumpist, but we'll see.
Rancid wrote:Let's say you are right. Still, calling this out as a requirement for the job is just bad politics. Clearly its red meat for the woke crowd, but for the rest of everyone else, whom he promised to unite. Sounds un-meritocratic.

What he should have done is simply nominate a black women, and not call it out as requirement.

I can't think of anything more offensive, particularly in the context of a senior position in gov't, than implying it's just a diversity hire.
wat0n wrote:I can't think of anything more offensive, particularly in the context of a senior position in gov't, than implying it's just a diversity hire.

Additionally, no one wants to be labeled a diversity hire. That will forever mar people's perception of your competency. Now you are are just a check box.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]

It is possible but Zelensky refuses to talk... no[…]