Why do non Americans fear or hate the fact that Americans have the guns? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The growth of Presbyterians

4.1.1 Scotland
4.1.2 England
4.1.3 Wales
4.1.4 Ireland
4.1.5 France
4.1.6 Italy
4.2 North America
4.2.1 United States
4.2.2 Canada
4.3 Latin America
4.3.1 Mexico
4.3.2 Brazil
4.3.3 Other Latin American states
4.4 Africa
4.4.1 Kenya
4.4.2 Malawi
4.4.3 Southern Africa
4.4.4 Northern Africa
4.5 Asia
4.5.1 Hong Kong
4.5.2 South Korea
4.5.3 Taiwan
4.5.4 India
4.6 Oceania
4.6.1 Australia
4.6.2 New Zealand
4.6.3 Vanuatu

The Presbyterian Church in Vanuatu is the largest denomination in the country, with approximately one-third of the population of Vanuatu members of the church. The PCV was taken to Vanuatu by missionaries from Scotland. The PCV (Presbyterian Church of Vanuatu) is headed by a moderator with offices in Port Vila. The PCV is particularly strong in the provinces of Tafea, Shefa, and Malampa. The Province of Sanma is mainly Presbyterian with a strong Roman Catholic minority in the Francophone areas of the province. There are some Presbyterian people, but no organised Presbyterian churches in Penama and Torba, both of which are traditionally Anglican. Vanuatu is the only country in the South Pacific with a significant Presbyterian heritage and membership. The PCV is a founding member of the Vanuatu Christian Council (VCC). The PCV runs many primary schools and Onesua secondary school. The church is strong in the rural villages.
Presbyterians, Congregationalists, Baptists, Calvinists, other "reformed" groups and less organized sects were identified as Nonconformists at the time of the 1662 Act of Uniformity. Following the act, other groups, including Methodists, Unitarians, Quakers, Plymouth Brethren, and the English Moravians were officially labelled as Nonconformists as they became organized.[8]

These Separatist and independent strands of Puritanism became prominent in the 1640s, when the supporters of a presbyterian polity in the Westminster Assembly were unable to forge a new English national church.
hey my homeland is korea...
@Scamp

As a non-American, I neither hate nor fear guns.

I often wonder why you Americans don't fear your law-abiding neighbors and their firearms, though.

If you read the US gun mags, you will see that many urban Americans are buying AR-15s as their go-to 'home defense' weapon. This should inspire fear in any sensible person - Over-penetration, jerry-built houses, and idiots who can't hit a barn door at ten paces are a deadly combination.

:)
ingliz wrote:
@Scamp

I often wonder why you Americans don't fear your law-abiding neighbors and their firearms, though.

If you read the US gun mags, you will see that many urban Americans are buying AR-15s as their go-to 'home defense' weapon. This should inspire fear in any sensible person - Over-penetration, jerry-built houses, and idiots who can't hit a barn door at ten paces are a deadly combination.

They've never seen civilisation, and grew up listening to American mythology. It's a deadly combination.
ingliz wrote:@Scamp

I don't remember hearing too much about 5.56 going thru walls and killing the neighbor on 123 Maple Street. I'm sure it happens from time to time.

What I do see constantly are news stories of 60 people being shot over the weekend in heavily gun regulated Chicago and Mayor Lori Lightfoot (D-Moron) telling us they commit crimes because they're "unloved".
BlutoSays wrote:I'm sure it happens from time to time.

According to one study, 317 times from March 2008 to February 2009.

Most stray bullet victims (81.4%) were unaware of the events leading to the gunfire that caused their injuries.

As far as "many" urban Americans buying AR-15s. It's like in the tens of thousands. And the rural country boys have more than that. Our civilians have more AR-15s than most every other countries Army has battle rifles. 8)
As for overpenetration. The smallest and very common rifle, a .22lr, will shoot through a normal sheetrock wall. Shotgun loads with buckshot can out penetrate an AR-15 round in walls. And shotguns have been around for 200 years. Almost all calibers can shoot through some walls and of course anything even a rock can go through a window. :lol:
As for "fear"...
We fear not.
@Scamp

You make my point for me.

A .223 55 gr fmj round traveling at around 3000 ft per second will go through a typical US vinyl-sided outside wall, and even though it's most likely tumbling by this point, it will do so with enough energy to kill anything on the other side.

A .223 55 gr fmj round traveling at around 3000 ft per second will go through a typical US vinyl-sided outside wall, and even though it's most likely tumbling by this point, it will do so with enough energy to kill anything on the other side.

Good, sometimes you have to shoot through walls to kill an intruder. 8)
But America has a lot better calibers of weapons for shooting through walls than .223/.556.
:lol:
ingliz wrote:[usermention=36539]

@Scamp[/usermention]

Between American mythology, and NRA propaganda, he doesn't know which way is up.
Scamp wrote:The people with weapons are going to conquer your country.

We are used to it.

We usually surrender without a shot being fired, stroke their balls with one hand, and rob them blind with the other.

Everybody is happy.

"We usually surrender"

The only exception was an uprising against 'The French' in the 1800s. Our previous masters, the Knights of the Order of St. John, had surrendered without a shot being fired, but when the British Navy parked themselves off the island and blockaded the French garrison, we rose.

We are not stupid.

We could see what side our bread was buttered on.

for shooting through walls

Is there a .223 round designed for barrier penetration? Yes, the 62 gr. steel core arrowhead M855A1.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]