What’s Going on With the Economy? I Asked Biden’s Top Economic Adviser | Robert Reich. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
What’s Going on With the Economy? I Asked Biden’s Top Economic Adviser | Robert Reich

Among several other things, Jared Bernstein asserts that always, whenever a new policy is being discussed they ask "What is the worker centered policy on this topic?"

This seems like it should be the center piece of Bidens pitch to get the votes of workers.

Steve_American wrote:Among several other things, Jared Bernstein asserts that always, whenever a new policy is being discussed they ask "What is the worker centered policy on this topic?"

Well, that's much better than the policies George Bush (Jr)'s economic policies seemed to support.
The way the mainstream news talked during his presidency, it almost seemed like the stock market was the economy.

I'm still not sure I trust his policies.

Biden himself is a pragmatic moderate, but he's too old and doesn't really have the mental energy to keep on top of things like decisions involving economic policies. His advisors and a small handful of Democratic Party senators are making all the decisions.

Good intentions don't always carry over into good policies.

If Biden were 20 or 15 years younger, I'd trust his policies a bit more, with the knowledge that he personally had real input into it.

I fear those "running the show" just have a proclivity to want to spend more, and are not going to be thoughtful enough to carefully think where exactly that money should best go.

I'd like to hear what "the plan" is, other than to just spend more money. So they say they want to enact policies to help workers. Well, what exactly do they have in mind?

The devil is in the details. Simply stating your intended goal isn't enough.

I can think of four different policies coming from the Democratic Party, just off the top of my head, that have hurt workers.
Steve_American wrote: most of the policies to help workers are not done by spending money, like a better "Labor Relations policy" and raising the min. wage.

Those two things will not really go very far in helping workers. People are stupid and naive if they think that is "the solution".

I'm not saying they will hurt, and not necessarily arguing they will not help at all, but considering the wider situation and issues that exist, they are a rather small drop in the bucket.

I mean think about it, minimum wage isn't really the type of thing that's going to lift more people into the middle class.
And unions just don't have very much leverage outside of manufacturing, and most of the factories are gone. And in the presence of high levels of immigration, it's easy for the employer to just hire someone else if some workers give them any trouble.

What about Trump's plan of rolling back trade policies and cutting off immigration? (Something he never fully got the opportunity to implement because Democrats and some Republicans blocked it)
Would probably improve things for American workers more than the usual things the Democrats have in their bag.

As evidence for that, consider that Black businesses (African American) grew by more than 400% in 2018, but then by April 2021, nearly half of them had been wiped out due to pandemic restrictions implemented by state level Democrats.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Of course, and I'm not talking about Hamas or the[…]

https://twitter.com/DSAWorkingMass/status/17842152[…]

Yes, try meditating ALONE in nature since people […]

I spent literal months researching on the many ac[…]