New Zealand Foreign Minister shunned from Israel - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
There has been a big fuss recently (in New Zealand, you guys probably never heard about it :D) about our Foreign Minister, Phil Goff, going to visit Yasser Arafat on his trip to Israel. Because of this, Ariel Sharon has refused to meet him, further damaging already strained relations. The New Zealand media has jumped at the opportunity to subtly point out the evilness of Israel, it being shown in a very negative light on both evening news networks, and in but having read an article in the Dominion Post yesterday, my opinion is slightly different from the norm.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepress/0,2106,2502561a6427,00.html

Basically, it says that seeing a former terrorist who is dragging his feet on the road to peace, isn't the most helpful thing you can do to solve probelms, and that we should be sidelining Arafat and working through Abbas. In that respect, I couldn't agree more.
By Adrien
You are not alone, Sharon also refused to meet our minister because he visited Arafat in person... I do think that it was not a good move from him.

What's the interest in meeting the guy himself now that he has a prime minister, when you know that if you do meet him, the other side (which is important for you to meet) will refuse to see you?
By Efrem Da King
I'd never heard about this :( .

Would have given me hours of fun.

Oh well it was stupid of of him to visit yasser when israel was saying not too. It is saying to most people that he holds arafat higher than israel. Then again sharon probably couldn't have been bothered anyway.
By Proctor
That's a good point. Sharon might have had far more important things to do anyway than meet the Foreign Minister of some unimportant far away country. But it was still a stupid thing to do.
By Efrem Da King
Not only is it an unimportant far away country But I beleive your guy vised yasser arafat. HEHEHE ours got to see sharon because we support israel.

https://twitter.com/lowkeysim/status/1784718303698[…]

Me either. They seem to be robotically attached t[…]

Would be boring without it though. Yes, the oth[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Do you think US soldiers would conduct such suici[…]