Indian Army officer, two soldiers killed in clash with China's PLA in Galwan Valley; - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Times Now News wrote:
Indian Army officer, two jawans killed in clash with China's PLA in Galwan Valley; 'casualties on both sides'
During the de-escalation process in Galwan Valley, a violent face-off took place last night with casualties in which an Indian Army Colonel and two Army jawans were killed.
Key Highlights

During de-escalation process in Galwan Valley, a violent face-off took place last night with casualties

The loss of lives on Indian side includes an officer and 2 soldiers

Senior military officials of the two sides are currently meeting at the venue to defuse the situation

New Delhi: An Indian Army Colonel and two Army jawans have been killed in action during a clash with Chinese troops in the Galwan Valley, Ladakh.

"During the de-escalation process in Galwan Valley, a violent face-off took place last night with casualties. The loss of lives on the Indian side includes an officer & 2 soldiers. Senior military officials of the two sides are currently meeting at the venue to defuse the situation," the Indian Army said.

The Army has also said that casualties have been reported from the Chinese side.

China, on the other hand, has accused India of crossing border and 'attacking Chinese personnel' with Foreign Minister Wang Yi saying that both sides agreed to resolve the bilateral issues through dialogue to ease the border situation and maintain peace and tranquillity in border areas.

The Indian Army further said that senior military officials of India and China currently meeting to defuse the situation in Ladakh.

This comes after Indian Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane on Saturday said that the entire situation along the borders with China is under control and the process of disengagement has started.
Senior military officials of India & China currently meeting to defuse the situation in Ladakh

Military-level talks between India and China were on for de-escalation in the Galwan region of eastern Ladakh with top army commanders from both sides meeting to resolve the face-off.

The fifth round of military-level talks took place even as the troop build-up continued on both sides, days after a slight retreat by both armies at the Line of Actual Control (LAC).

Earlier, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh held a review meeting with Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat and the three Service Chiefs to understand the ground situation.

As per the sources, an Indian joint secretary-Chinese director-general level meet was planned this week.
India should not take unilateral actions or stir up trouble: Chinese foreign ministry

Meanwhile, when asked about Indian army reporting casualties in the clash with China, the Chinese foreign ministry said that India should not take unilateral actions or stir up trouble.

China has been running full-blown propaganda on its high altitude war preparations by sharing videos and photographs of its troops threatening India when both the countries were engaged in a de-escalation of tension.

Recently, Chinese state-run media outlet Global Times claimed that the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had organised “a large-scale manoeuvre operation featuring thousands of paratroopers and armoured vehicles to the country's high-altitude northwestern region over a long distance from central China's Hubei province amid border tensions between China and India.”

Check the latest facts on Covid-19 here. Times Fact ‘India Outbreak Report’ by TIMES NETWORK and Protiviti is a comprehensive analysis that highlights the impact of the pandemic in India and projects the possible number of active cases in the weeks ahead.

Source

So after 1975, this is the first death at Indo-Chinese border. Just when things looked like were deescalating, it suddenly spiked up. What an year this is turning out to be.
ness31 wrote:Good on you for posting this :up:

I never really thought they were ‘de-escalating’. I wonder if China had any fatalities? Would they even say?

China claimed 5 deaths and 11 injuries. Source to be provided later.

EDIT: Hong Kong Chinese language sources, including anti-China Apple Daily and Stand News, all had the above 5 / 11 figure on headlines, but English media had all hidden that.

EDIT 2: This is the English source I found:
https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/world/ ... rmy-626622

At least the lie is not about no one died...?
ness31 wrote:Yes. Yes, I did stereotype Asians there. So sue me :)

Chinese like to lie to everybody, including themselves, just to save their sorry fucking face. They deserve every shit thrown to them.

Although this does NOT mean I am on the Indian side. IMHO they are not very much better, especially they had been imitating Chinese steps in some controversial legislations.
So apparently 20 soldiers from Indian side died, no confirmation on Chinese numbers.

Source

Also the horrifying thing is that these causalities didn't happened because of some firefight or shelling but because of fist fights. Iron clubs, stones etc were used, not a single bullet was fired.
20 dead on the Indian side, speculations of 50 dead on the Chinese side. 6 hours of hand-to-hand combat in almost complete darkness... next to a cliff....

What the actual fuck? I'm impressed no one started firing or called in an air-strike at some point.

This is "old school Viking style, sacrifice for Odin" type of shit right here. What is the psychology behind this?
At the root of this is a 1996 bilateral agreement that says "neither side shall open fire... conduct blast operations or hunt with guns or explosives within two kilometres of the Line of Actual Control".

So, that's why they used sticks to beat each other to death?

Technically, both sides have respected the 1996 bilateral agreement since no fire arms or explosives were used.

Looks like, by respecting the agreement, both sides are willing to contain the conflict for the time being.

Wonder what triggered the conflict? There seem to have been tensions at this spot for a couple of weeks prior to the current incident.
Here is some background from Al Jazeera:

Michael Kugelman, deputy director of the Asia Program at The Wilson Center, has told Al Jazeera a combination of factors are at play behind the India-China tension.

"I believe China has been concerned at Indian road building along the Line of Actual Control [LAC], particularly one road that was completed last year that essentially allows connectivity from Leh, the capital of Ladakh, all the way to Karakoram Pass," he said.

Kugelman said any conversation on the Chinese motivation must address India's repeal of Article 370, which granted autonomy to Indian-administered Kashmir. The federal territory of Ladakh, where the latest clashes took place, was carved out of the former Jammu and Kashmir state following the repeal.

"I think it's clear. Beijing responded strongly and quickly after India made that move last year. I think China looks at Article 370 repeal similarly as Pakistan does. India made a unilateral move that affected a territory that China claims as its own," Kugelman told Al Jazeera.

"I think the [coronavirus] pandemic played a part too. China knows that it has been put on the defensive by a lot of strong criticism from key capitals around the world about its initial response to the coronavirus. It has found itself in a lot of hot water with lot of key actors, not just the US but others too. I think China wanted to divert attention by pushing back hard against India."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/ ... 18924.html
Atlantis wrote:Here is some background from Al Jazeera:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/ ... 18924.html

Looks like the global consensus is that China is at fault. Time for some collaborated action against it?
According to both Western and Chinese media, anti-China sentiment is building up in India:

New York Times report
Global Times Report

Time to teach the arrogant Chinese a good lesson? Although as usual, I cannot say I am in favour of India either.

Yes, because the Palestinian resistance have a his[…]

The War Machine and Bankers that arm and profit fr[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

^ I shared the Sachs and Meirsheimer videos in her[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]