EU-BREXIT - Page 197 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Rich
Wow! Well May's done it. She has overtaken Gordon Brown and The Duke of Wellington, humiliating all the idiot commentators who said she had no chance of surviving this long. She has a chance even of overtaking Neville Chamberlain, the twentieth century's greatest man, who led Britain and France into war, while all the cowards in Ireland, the US, Belgium etc, stayed out.
By Atlantis
Beren wrote:Handing over, or rather selling out the UK to Trump and allies must be good for the British people.

If Austrian patriots think it's good to sell their country to the Russians, why shouldn't British patriots sell their country to the Yanks?

There is no point in trying to make any sense out of the new right.
By Beren
Rich wrote:Well May's done it.

May's done it if she meant to make Brexit a shambles and keep the UK in the EU until the EP-elections all along.
By Heisenberg
Rich wrote:Wow! Well May's done it. She has overtaken Gordon Brown and The Duke of Wellington, humiliating all the idiot commentators who said she had no chance of surviving this long.

:lol: No doubt all the "idiot commentators" are eating their words now that Theresa May's premiership has proven to be such a resounding success.
By Beren
BREAKING: Tory leadership candidates are unrealistic!

The Guardian wrote:Hammond says Tory leadership candidates proposing to renegotiate Brexit deal not being realistic

Andrew Sparrow

In an interview for the BBC’s Newsnight, Philip Hammond, the chancellor and one of the most pro-European members of the cabinet, has been suggesting that those Tory leadership candidates proposing to renegotiate the withdrawal agreement (which is almost all of them) are not being realistic. He said:

"My challenge to all of the candidates is: Explain to me how you will avoid becoming Theresa May mark II, stuck in a holding pattern.

An extension of time to try to renegotiate, when the EU have already said they have finished the negotiation and, indeed, have disbanded their negotiating team, strikes me as a not very auspicious policy."

Hammond also said that a no-deal Brexit, and no Brexit, were both unacceptable outcomes. That meant MPs would have to accept compromises they did not like, he said. He explained:

"We have a solemn obligation to find a solution which avoids both of those outcomes [no-deal or no Brexit]. That means that even at this late stage, a deal.

It means people in parliament having to stop pontificating, get off their high horses and understand that we will all have to give up something to get to a deal that will work. We will all be grumpy about it, we will all be dissatisfied. But in many ways that is the only way forward for the country.

If we end up with a deal that means half the people in this country think they achieved total victory and the other half think they have been totally defeated, that is not the recipe for unity in the future. And countries that are not unified are not successful."

The problem may be that the majority don't want a compromise anymore, they don't want a soft Brexit. Which is a bigger problem to Labour, since the Tories change leadership soon.

Trump's visiting a polarised country and makes it worse.

By snapdragon
John Bercow (god bless him) has put the kibosh on Raab's Brexit plan, which was to disband Parliament and crash out by default on the 31st October.
By Patrickov
SolarCross wrote:BOJO LANDSLIDE Boris Johnson would lead Tories to 140-seat majority and wipe out Farage’s Brexit Party, new poll says

Apparently a new poll suggests Bojo as PM would smash all rivals including Corbyn. Might be bad news for Farage but brexit will probably still happen with bojo as PM so maybe he wouldn't be too sad about that.

I thought the majority is calculated by the number above half-mark, not the difference between them any everybody else...
By Rich
SolarCross wrote:BOJO LANDSLIDE Boris Johnson would lead Tories to 140-seat majority and wipe out Farage’s Brexit Party, new poll says

Apparently a new poll suggests Bojo as PM would smash all rivals including Corbyn. Might be bad news for Farage but brexit will probably still happen with bojo as PM so maybe he wouldn't be too sad about that.

What a pathetic loser result!

Its only about a 35 seat majority not 140 as the retards at the Sun are reporting. This a pathetic prediction compared to what the great Teresa May was predicted to get going into the 2017 election. Notice that its still significantly below the percentage that May actually received in 2017 even after a widely criticised campaign.

But still even if these results came to pass, it would vindicate the brilliant partisan leadership of Cameron, May and Boris. If this came off the Tories would have been successful in seeing off the threat from Farage and achieved their largest majority since 1987. Even in a worst case scenario of economic collapse, world recession and the loss of peace in Northern Ireland, hard core Tory partisans would consider it a small price to pay. Cameron staunched the rise of UKIP and delivered the first majority for the Tories in 23 years. May set up the conditions under which Boris could go up against Parliament, and then call an election to push through a no deal Brexit.
By B0ycey
I take a poll set up by the Torygraph with a pinch of salt. Although I suspect his ratings will take a hit once it becomes obvious he like May will be a zombie PM. Will he have the balls to call an early election?
By SolarCross
B0ycey wrote:I take a poll set up by the Torygraph with a pinch of salt. Although I suspect his ratings will take a hit once it becomes obvious he like May will be a zombie PM. Will he have the balls to call an early election?

May was hamstrung by having a wafer thin majority that depended on the DUP. If Boris can get a solid majority then that changes everything.

What kind of majority do you think your terrorist loving corbyn can get?
By B0ycey
SolarCross wrote:May was hamstrung by having a wafer thin majority that depended on the DUP. If Boris can get a solid majority then that changes everything.

What kind of majority do you think your terrorist loving corbyn can get?

I don't think any party can get a majority with an election. Although Boris has to work with the same MPs as May did. So will he have the balls to improve his hand? I doubt it. The Tories fear a Corbyn government over anything else it seems.
By SolarCross
B0ycey wrote:I don't think any party can get a majority with an election. Although Boris has to work with the same MPs as May did. So will he have the balls to improve his hand? I doubt it. The Tories fear a Corbyn government over anything else it seems.

Well he certainly has more balls than May. :excited: (joke)

We will see anyway. Everybody has been rather unfair on May but she is lacking a bit in charisma. If nothing else Boris is rather affable, that may make all the difference.
By Rich
Boris drives like hell in a straight line toward the no deal cliff edge (or the no deal nirvana depending on your take). Then either the EU blinks, or Parliament votes down a no deal Brexit.

If Parliament votes down a no deal Brexit, Boris can go to the country. In such a scenario he may well be able to get the Referendum party to stand down against any Tory MP that categorically backs his no deal play and go on to win a majority. If he doesn't win a no deal Brexit majority, he may well have done enough to survive as Prime minister while not delivering Brexit, if he loses the premiership in these unusual times he may just have done enough to survive as Tory leader and get another bite at the cherry.
By Beren
Time for Britain to kick off its own killdozer project, and Geoffrey Cox had the honour of turning the ignition key and blowing the horn before the driver takes his seat and starts warming up the engine.

@Tainari88 , @Godstud @Rich , @Verv , @Po[…]

Blah blah. If Russia uses nukes, the rest of the […]

World War II Day by Day

March 29, Friday Mackenzie King wins Canadian el[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over main[…]