The Next UK PM everybody... - Page 42 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
@Beren

Speaking for myself, despite living on a council estate, my constituency is a safe Tory seat -probably because my neighbours don't bother to vote, or perhaps they aren't able to vote. Turnout is around 18%, usually. The posh part of the constituency would vote for a gorilla if it wore a blue rosette.

Having said that, though, Brexit seems to have fired them all up and they all now support The Brexit Party , so maybe that'll split the Tory vote enough to get them out.

Quite honestly, I'll keep my ear to the ground when the time comes. I won't vote Lib-Dem if it means our Tory member will scrape through. I'm going to try to vote tactically.

That might even mean voting for the Brexit Party if they're likely to topple the Tories

I'm looking at the bigger picture.

Sure, I don't want a Brexit Party representative, but they're not likely to win more than a handful of seats overall and one less seat for the Tories has got to be good.
B0ycey wrote:Labour are strong up North, Lib Dems south.

I've made a little bit of research and found that even if the last YouGov/The Times poll, which says the Lib Dems are at 23% and Labour are at 21% is true, Labour are still much better at turning votes into seats and get more than five times more seats than the Lib Dems do.

snapdragon wrote:I'm going to try to vote tactically.

That's exactly I meant to suggest. :up:
Beren wrote:I've made a little bit of research and found that even if the last YouGov/The Times poll, which says the Lib Dems are at 23% and Labour are at 21% is true, Labour are still much better at turning votes into seats and get more than five times more seats than the Lib Dems do.

Sounds about right. I read the Lib Dems are on course for 39 seats. But given the percentages, there must be numerous marginal seats that they (Lib Dems) could take whereas Labour must have strongholds. Which suggests that given the logical sense of that in terms of tactical voting a Lib Dem vote is worth more within many more marginal constituencies and more importantly than that, that both parties should work together and stick to their strengths.

B0ycey wrote:I grew up on a council estate Skinster and I am sure I have told you that before. And no I do care about other things apart from Brexit. I don't mind a Corbyn government despite what you think.

Yet you'd vote for someone like Swinson who votes for austerity and is obviously a self-serving cunt like most politicians (aside from bae Corbyn and a few others). Interesting. Did you read that list from Ingliz that shows what Swinson is for? Here it is again:

ingliz wrote:A true blue Tory. Swinson has voted to cut payments for people with illness or disability, voted to cut funding for young people seeking jobs or further training, voted to cut local government funding and voted for increased restrictions on legal aid. She has voted against an increased income tax for those earning over £150,000, voted against a tax on banker’s bonuses, voted against restricting the fees that landlords can charge tenants and always voted for reducing the rate of corporation tax. Swinson has voted to sell off state-owned forests, voted against greater regulation of hydraulic fracturing (fracking), etc, etc.....

:lol:

Also, for the lulz.

snapdragon wrote:I've no time for Corbyn. He doesn't want to be PM. He likes being in opposition so he can shout from the sidelines without having to do anything.

What colour is the sky on the planet you live in? Corbyn has been calling for a GE for months and months and is in campaign mode for it and has been for months too. :lol: Maybe look elsewhere than The Guardian and BBC for news. :up:
snapdragon wrote:He knows he won't win a GE, skinster.

I don't know which planet you're living on sometimes, because you say the most absurd things.

We're going to get Corbyn as PM for Christmas, it's going to be great. :D
snapdragon wrote:He knows he won't win a GE, skinster. Not unless he gets off that fence.

I must disagree.

When Theresa May called the elections in 2017, Tories were ~20% ahead of Labor in the opinion polls. She called the election because she was expecting a landslide victory.

At the end of 2 months long campaign period, Tories won the election by barely %2 margin, but lost so many seats as well as their parliamentary majority.

Many people tend to forget something about how people cast their votes. They don't only pay attention to policies/leaders/parties they like. They also pay attention to policies/leaders/parties they hate.

Corbyn is truly a decent guy with unquestionable track record of integrity. It is difficult to hate him. On top, he comes up with radical yet sensible manifesto which resonates with the silent masses.

On the other hand, there is Boris, ultimate Machiavellian of British politics. The guy, who prepared two article manuscripts on EU exit referendum and used one when he made decision of supporting Brexit, is now coming with a sole promise about Brexit, and nothing more.

Campaigning for the next election has barely started, yet it seems Corbyn/Labor is gaining momentum already.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-o ... 78686.html

I have no doubt Corbyn will outperform the expectations in this elections.

I would not surprise at all if he wins.
Beren wrote:PM gives 'cast-iron' pledge to refuse second Scottish independence vote

According to Boris's credibility IndyRef2 is on its way! :excited:

Is that a 'cast-iron' pledge, or a 'dead-in-a-ditch' pledge? Or maybe it's really a 'don't-ask-me-i-don't-give-a-fuck' pledge? :excited:
Potemkin wrote:Is that a 'cast-iron' pledge, or a 'dead-in-a-ditch' pledge? Or maybe it's really a 'don't-ask-me-i-don't-give-a-fuck' pledge? :excited:

It's a pledge-for-a-month-and-a-half pledge. :lol:
In any case, a person capable to attract such amount of hate, as we see in Corbyn, is probably not a good leader. The spreading of pro-Corbyn propaganda somewhat makes me believe the opposite be closer to the truth.
Labour activists call on Corbyn to push radical stance on migration

Party leader has stressed benefits of immigration, but some fear policy could hurt Labour in Tory seats

Labour activists are urging Jeremy Corbyn to incorporate the radical pro-migration policy passed at the party’s conference into its manifesto this week as the Tories prepare to weaponise the issue in the election battle.

Senior Labour figures are expected to meet on Monday to thrash out the details of the party’s policy, but a final decision will not be made until next weekend.

Grassroots campaigners succeeded in persuading Labour’s conference in September to adopt a series of radical policy motions on issues including migration, private schools and the climate crisis. But it is unclear how many of the motions will find their way into the manifesto undiluted.

Boris Johnson has ditched the immigration target pursued by his two predecessors and is promising a more liberal “points based” system. The Tories believe the perception that Labour would be soft on immigration will hurt Corbyn’s party in many Tory target seats in the Midlands and northern England.

The home secretary, Priti Patel, responded to comments by Labour’s campaign coordinator, Andrew Gywnne, on Sunday about the benefits of free movement by claiming a Corbyn government would allow “uncontrolled and unlimited immigration”.

Gwynne said Labour would seek to strike “reciprocal agreements with the EU27 that allow British citizens to enjoy some of the freedoms that they will lose as a result of Brexit”.

The free-movement motion passed at Labour conference included a commitment to close all migrant detention centres; abolition of the “no recourse to public funds” legislation that prevents migrants from accessing many services; a move to “maintain and extend free movement rights”; and rejection of “any immigration system based on incomes, migrants’ utility to business, and number caps/targets”.

The shadow home secretary, Diane Abbott, said no final decision had been made, but stressed the party’s opposition to the hostile environment policy concerning immigration that was established by Theresa May.

“We have got radical proposals, because we are going to close Yarl’s Wood and Brook House [detention centres] and we are going to review the entire detention estate. I’ve said that many times,” she said. “We also want to put an end to the hostile environment – and we’re looking at repealing the 2014 Immigration Act, which was part of that.”

She added that Labour was determined to tackle the negative culture of the Home Office. “I’m clear that it’s not just about bits of legislation; it’s about the whole way they do things.”

Corbyn stressed the benefits of migration last week when he was pressed about whether the Brexit deal Labour was promising to negotiate would include free movement, saying it “enriches the lives of all of us”.

Some Labour candidates facing a challenge from the Conservatives and/or the Brexit party fear the perception of a free-for-all on migration will hurt them on 12 December. One jokingly described the prospect of adopting the conference policy in full as “self immolation”.

But Alena Ivanova, an organiser for the Labour Campaign for Free Movement, said it would be a vote winner. “Party conference delivered an absolutely huge mandate for the most radical known policy in the party’s history and we are campaigning for it to be adopted fully in the manifesto,” she said. “It’s simply not the case that these are unpopular politics and the Tories are making a mistake if they use them to attack us. The big bulk of voters we need to win over already agree with us that immigration is a good thing. On the other hand, giving ground to the idea that migrants are to blame for the problems caused by austerity undermines our core narrative and weakens our campaign.”

Another campaign spokesperson, Sabrina Huck, said Labour should be “the party of all workers regardless of where they were born”.

Labour’s manifesto is being drafted by Corbyn’s policy chief, Andrew Fisher, as was the 2017 document, but it will have to be signed off on Saturday in a meeting known as Clause V involving senior party decision-makers including the unions.

One Labour candidate defending a remain seat and sympathetic to the free-movement campaign said they expected the party’s policy to be “as radical as Unite and the GMB will let it be”.

Migration is not the only area of contention in the run-up to Saturday’s meeting, with grassroots activists keen to hold Labour to the 2030 target for achieving net-zero carbon emissions.

The shadow business secretary, Rebecca Long-Bailey, has said the party will target net-zero emissions by “the 2030s”, but climate campaigners believe a specific date would be a more effective policy.

Corbyn has also been challenged about the policy of incorporating private schools into the state system, passed after a campaign called #AbolishEton. Asked at his campaign launch whether he would indeed abolish Eton, the Labour leader pointed to the party’s plans to tax private schools more heavily by removing their charitable status.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/10/labour-activists-call-on-jeremy-corbyn-to-push-radical-stance-on-migration

Encouraging massive immigration is not something that the people in general like these days.
It is just plain stupid to announce this before an election. What were they thinking ? I cannot understand why there are people who would like to turn their country into little Pakistan or little Bangladesh.

I hope it costs Labour a lot of votes and I hope of course that "The friend of Hamas and Hezbolla" never becomes the Prime Minister of the UK.
skinster wrote:

He looks Communist in the original picture while he rather looks Russian in the photoshopped one. Perhaps the idea was that he's a Russian agent. It was about the Salisbury incident, wasn't it?
Last edited by Beren on 11 Nov 2019 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
New Survation poll results are out.

The gap between Tories and Labor is down to 6%.

As one twitter comment hilariously yet rightly put: Corbyn eats six point leads for breakfast.

:lol:

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]

In Canada, Indigenous people have been harassed r[…]

That was weird

No, it won't. Only the Democrats will be hurt by […]

No. There is nothing arbitrary about whether peop[…]