UK votes for Boris... - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By noemon
Rugoz wrote:

That was brilliant. I always cringe when people compare Boris to Trump.

Boris had invited the Social Democratic Minister of Culture of Greece Melina Mercouri back in the day when he was President of the Oxford Union for a speech. Melina remains one of the most highly beloved political & social figures even among conservatives.

In the same note as this debate, the past few days we have been tracing the relationship between Great Britain and America in New York and the wider DC area, Annapolis, Georgetown, Alexandria, Virginia and one can clearly discern the evolution of the British spirit in the free open plains of America, away from Kings and Bishops & all manner of constraints. It is the same kind of evolution that Boris discovers between the sculptures of Egypt and the sculptures of Greece. It was highly patriotic Englishmen unshackling themselves from a series of insults & injuries that seemed to have no end and despite or rather because of their expressed patriotism they found a way to break free without breaking the glass. Their revolution was more of an evolution however that would not have been possible without their education, nor without their legal rights as Englishmen. They were struggling to protect their existing rights as men against injustice rather than grab new ones when "dad looked the other way". And that is why Boris is absolutely correct in his observation that the USA is the child of Britain much the same way that Rome is the child of Greece.

So, as per traditional Greek custom here is my own rebellious message on the 1st day of this New Year & Decade.

Thomas Jefferson wrote:Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the British empire a man who more cordially loves a union with Great Britain than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the British Parliament propose; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America......

....I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.
By skinster
JohnRawls wrote:You posted all this already. It has been debunked so many times....

Your opinion about that isn't it being "debunked". Corbyn won more votes than Labour leaders in the four elections before him. Prove me wrong.

Blair got 13.7 million in 97 and won 2 more cycles after even with all the policies and steps he took which were not all popular.

If you can read the stuff I posted, they're referring to elections since 2005.

What did Corbyn achieve? Nothing.

He won the leadership election twice, won a historic win for Labour in 2017, made Labour the largest political membership party in the entirety of Europe and made me consider getting involved into the political system for the first time in my life. That's a lot.

And he did that given all the attacks he was under from everywhere that I mentioned that you repeatedly ignore, as if those attacks didn't happen. They did.

As I said also, he had the usual Tory channels against him along with a stronger Liberal democratic party.

And left-liberal media like The Guardian and the BBC. What colour is the sky in the world you live in?

Anyway, you can lead a dumb horse to water is all I can think about when going over the same shit with you over and over again...
By skinster
Ter wrote:Which he is from where I am sitting

You, a Zionist who supports an apartheid state that executes and tortures children very regularly believes Jeremy Corbyn, a pacifist in the main, is a terrorist. Why can't you just be honest and admit it is you who supports terrorism against the aforementioned children and dislike Corbyn for his support of the aforementioned children having human rights like what you and Israelis enjoy?

Because to people like me, we know what you are. Some of your ilk will admit it - people like ZN to some degree - and that I can respect. People like you though, lol.

In view of his stance on for instance the IRA and the Falklands, they were right to warn against him

They were threatened by his anti-imperialism and plans to stop selling weapons to terrorist states like Israel and Saudi Arabia, both who are committing genocide today, in Palestine and Yemen.

Yes, lots of idiot anti-Semites in the party, I do not understand why that is so?
"For the many, not the Jew!" :lol:

Tell that to the Jewish groups, journalists, activists etc. who have been supporting him. I've posted plenty in this very thread of Jewish support for Corbyn, but you people keep talking nonsense like it doesn't exist when it quite obviously does. And again, you are being racist by suggesting that all Jews think the same.

I doubt that.

Well, I'm going by recent history and you're sharing your boring opinion again. :)
skinster wrote:Your opinion about that isn't it being "debunked". Corbyn won more votes than Labour leaders in the four elections before him. Prove me wrong.

It is wrong by that the total number of voters were not taken into account.

May had won her party 2.3 million more votes in 2017, compared with 2015. Corbyn helped his party to win 3.3 million more votes, true, but that surplus of one million did not fully address the 2-million deficit of his -- and May's -- predecessors. Since both parties had their votes increased, describing it solely as Corbyn's success is highly misleading.

And this time (2019), Boris gained 300k votes, which is not very significant, true, but the problem is, the Corbyn who is so beloved here, lost 2 million.

Having the absolute number increased without considering the total number of votes cast means fucking nothing.
He should abolish social welfare benefits. Britain should back to its capitalist and trader roots on par with Republican America.

People voted for "International Britain" They will get it.
Red_Army wrote:I think leaving the EU and Jeremy Corbyn are both great. That being said, Brexit is less important than austerity and the rest of the moron Tory agenda. If you think Bojo is better than Corbyn you're a moron.

Not sure what we should call left wingers who don't realise that leaving the EU is the single-most consequential event for the British left in generations, but their position makes no sense.
By Rancid
Patrickov wrote:Having the absolute number increased without considering the total number of votes cast means fucking nothing.

People tend to be very bad working out proportions.
Quite a few people have noted that Labour treated 2017 as a victory. Probably explains some of the over-confidence in 2019.

But Labour lost in 2017 as well as in 2019. Corbyn has not managed to retain, much less win back, Labour's core working class vote. Labour is non-existent in Scotland. It has been reduced almost exclusively to metropolitan areas in England. And despite the bluster and triumphalism before the election, Labour's proposal to gerrymander the franchise is evidence that it realised that its appeal had considerably narrowed and feared that the British voting public would in the future return disappointing results.
By ingliz
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Labour's proposal to gerrymander

If you look I think you will find that is the Tory plan.

:lol:
ingliz wrote:Meanwhile, the number of UK companies going bust in the last quarter jumped 35% and, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies, GDP is between about 2.5% and 3% below where it would have been without Brexit. :lol:

British economy will grow faster than eurozone, says IMF. Enjoy... :lol:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brit ... -k2h3vbdjm
By skinster
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Not sure what we should call left wingers who don't realise that leaving the EU is the single-most consequential event for the British left in generations, but their position makes no sense.

Centrists are not "left wingers".
By Rich
Just watching Liz Kendall on Politics Live. Its amazing the absolute fanatical commitment of the Labour right to endless mass immigration. The idea that these people are some sort of closet right wingers (on the overall political spectrum) is utterly absurd. These Labour right wingers are absolutely committed to our cultural annihilation. There is a strong moral case for opening the flood gates ever wider. Why shouldn't a person from Rwanda have the same opportunities as someone from Streatham or Coventry? Citizenship of a wealthy western country is a huge privilege. Why from a moral perspective should that person privilege be decided on the basis of where you were born or who your parents were?

But of course lefties don't argue for immigration from a moral perspective, they lie and lie and lie over and over and over again. Telling us that immigration is in our interests. It isn't. It pushes down wages in the short and medium term, but massively pushes up housing and land costs over the long term. Why do they keep on lying? I think we know why.

I remember way back in the seventies or eighties, one of the big British car plants being called out for institutional racism. The job vacancies were largely going to the friends and relatives of those already working. Of course lower class White people couldn't be allowed to pass on a smithereen of privilege. The Royal family on the other hand can pass on massive, massive privilege. Billionaires can pass on massive, massive privilege to their children. Or take Holywood, look how many children of celebrities go on to privileged positions within Holywood themselves.

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong???[…]

Sure, but they are too stupid to understand, Trum[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is the issue. It is not changing. https://y[…]

@annatar1914 do not despair. Again, el amor pu[…]