Stupid EU bureaucrats may ban LAVENDER - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
This is yet another example of stupid EU bureaucrats passing too many regulations, without giving much thought to the consequences.

First of all, the thing to understand is that lavender is something that is very French. To an American, it would be like apple pie or hot dogs.
The French make all sorts of scented washing products, cosmetic products, soaps and perfumes with lavender.

Yet the regulators are trying to single out "harmful chemicals", and this includes in natural products, specifically a chemical called linalool which is responsible for most of the smell of natural lavender.

There are some French people who are outraged that some bureaucrats could just casually pass some regulation and then it would make lavender products illegal to sell.

For one thing, it would be devastating to certain areas of France that focus on lavender farming. It's a long tradition that stretches back more than 1000 years.

The article is in French:
https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... dnogNTu8Xg

Totalitarians don't seem to think about the possible unintended consequences of all the laws they keep on passing. Or they just don't care.
Have to keep everyone "safe" and keep on banning more things.

It would be almost totally unimaginable if lavender scented things became banned in France, the place where lavender is most famous for coming from.
But sadly with the politics in France and the European Union today, it wouldn't really be all that surprising.
Puffer Fish wrote:This is yet another example of stupid EU bureaucrats passing too many regulations, without giving much thought to the consequences.

First of all, the thing to understand is that lavender is something that is very French. To an American, it would be like apple pie or hot dogs.
The French make all sorts of scented washing products, cosmetic products, soaps and perfumes with lavender.

Yet the regulators are trying to single out "harmful chemicals", and this includes in natural products, specifically a chemical called linalool which is responsible for most of the smell of natural lavender.

There are some French people who are outraged that some bureaucrats could just casually pass some regulation and then it would make lavender products illegal to sell.

For one thing, it would be devastating to certain areas of France that focus on lavender farming. It's a long tradition that stretches back more than 1000 years.

The article is in French:
https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... dnogNTu8Xg

Totalitarians don't seem to think about the possible unintended consequences of all the laws they keep on passing. Or they just don't care.
Have to keep everyone "safe" and keep on banning more things.

It would be almost totally unimaginable if lavender scented things became banned in France, the place where lavender is most famous for coming from.
But sadly with the politics in France and the European Union today, it wouldn't really be all that surprising.

I am honestly tired of this crap aka blame everything on the magical EU Eurocrats. EU must have the most efficient and coordinated beuracracy in the world considering its budget is around 1% of total gdp considering how much butthurt or actions it causes.(Actually less) How much is your governments apparatus as percentage of the gdp?

P.S. Regarding the topic at hand, i am not sure what it is about but there were rumors about Lavander oil being re-classified due to what it consists off. I am pretty sure EU can't really ban a flower. It probably has to do with products that are made out of it and the only thing remotely related that i heard about is Lavander oil. :eh:
JohnRawls wrote:It probably has to do with products that are made out of it and the only thing remotely related that i heard about is Lavander oil.

Banning lavender-scented cosmetic products, like lavender soap, would probably reduce lavender sales by more than 90 percent.
It would be devastating to these farms and regions of France that rely on growing lavender.

It would also become very hard to find a perfume which smells like lavender. Many other famous perfumes would have to be changed as well, since lavender oil and linalool are very commonly used in perfume fragrances. There would be many perfume enthusiasts who would not be happy about this.
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:Since the article goes on to admit that nothing has been decided yet, it's actually fact-free.

It's part of current draft legislation.

Things do move very slowly. If implemented, probably the soonest the ban would go into effect would be 2025.

Even if it has not actually been implemented into regulation, I think people should still be very concerned if something like this is put into draft legislation. Draft legislation usually ends up becoming actual regulation, with the force of law. Unless people identify something wrong with it or there is enough push-back.
Concernant le calendrier, la représentation de la Commission européenne en France précise qu'il n'y auras de proposition législative avant fin 2022. Proposition qui devra ensuite "être discutée puis adoptée par le Parlement européen d’un côté, et par le Conseil qui réunit les 27 Etats membres de l’autre.

Concerning the calendar, the representation of the European Commission in France specifies that there will be no legislative proposal before the end of 2022. Proposal which must then " be discussed and then adopted by the European Parliament on the one hand, and by the Council which brings together the 27 member states of the other.
The 'draft legislation' is never quoted, or linked to; there isn't anything specifying what has been said, except one guy thinks 'linalool' will be targeted.
So far, this story seems limited to right wing tabloids. It may be true, but I will wait and see.

Considering the size and history of the industry, I doubt this will result in any sort of ban. At most, certain uses of linalool will come with a warning.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@JohnRawls General Election Summary 2022 Date[…]

Claims that mainstream economics is changing rad[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]