Sack the Lords! - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By B0ycey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58040793

What is wrong with these Lord Snooties? Like seriously they need to get out more. In reality there isn't enough working class accents on television actually given our presenters... especially on the BBC... should reflect the populous on the whole and not just the upper class. But we still get these snooty bastards that think they are above class by the the way a word is pronounced and think they are above others. Get over yourself you snooty shit and big up to Alex who is doing a fantastic job on the Olympic coverage.
By Potemkin
Rancid wrote:How can I join the house of Lords?

Make a very large donation to the Tory Party.
By Wellsy
Potemkin wrote:Make a very large donation to the Tory Party.

You don’t have to be sexually molested at an all boys private school?
Well this is news to me!
By Patrickov
Potemkin wrote:Make a very large donation to the Tory Party.

As long as they can create more politicians like Chris Patten I will gladly do so.

Although this is not a universally true statement. If another party is in power then you need to change the party you donate to. Besides Tory members are probably big money maker themselves so the donation threshold must be rather high.
By Potemkin
Wellsy wrote:You don’t have to be sexually molested at an all boys private school?
Well this is news to me!

You get extra bonus points for that, @Wellsy, but it's no longer mandatory. As with almost all things in this degenerate modern age of ours, standards have slipped.
By snapdragon
I was brought up in the same area as the young lady concerned, but am able to speak properly thanks mostly to my mother and the teachers at school. It’s not so much the accent that can be annoying, as the inability to sound words properly or to construct proper sentences, which can be disastrous for education.

I should think that this young woman is perfectly able to speak properly, but chooses not to for reasons of her own.

It might be to fit in, which is why, growing up , I had around three speaking styles. One for school and home, one for the street and one for when I was with my friends. Me mates.

She claims to be proud of her speaking style, which smacks of inverted snobbery to me. They’re both judging people by the way they speak, so they’re as bad as each other.

Mind, I think most of us are, if we’re honest.
By Potemkin
snapdragon wrote:I was brought up in the same area as the young lady concerned, but am able to speak properly thanks mostly to my mother and the teachers at school. It’s not so much the accent that can be annoying, as the inability to sound words properly or to construct proper sentences, which can be disastrous for education.

I should think that this young woman is perfectly able to speak properly, but chooses not to for reasons of her own.

It might be to fit in, which is why, growing up , I had around three speaking styles. One for school and home, one for the street and one for when I was with my friends. Me mates.

She claims to be proud of her speaking style, which smacks of inverted snobbery to me. They’re both judging people by the way they speak, so they’re as bad as each other.

Mind, I think most of us are, if we’re honest.

Indeed. As I have often said before, the class system in Britain has driven us all barmy. :hmm:
By B0ycey
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way Alex speaks @snapdragon. And she has the RIGHT to defend herself against snobbery anyway. And considering this guy is a LORD from Birmingham, an area I know very well, all I can say is he should be used to common speech by now. He is a complete tit and thankfully I am not the only person who see this considering the support for Alex.
By snapdragon
She’s a snob herself.

There’s nothing wrong with speaking properly and there’s a lot right with it. It would be just as easy for her to pronounce words properly.

She might think it’s cool to speak the way she does.

She sounds what my mum would have called common. I used to speak that way myself to fit in, but it was a choice.

Being able to speak properly helped a lot with my early education as I knew what words should sound like and took to reading easily as I could spell out a word phonetically.

I didn’t expect apple to be spelt apaw, for example.

But anyway, it’s nicer to listen to standard English than a low class Thames estuary.

Moreover, the way she speaks is a major part of her job. It’s her job to speak clearly and properly so that people listening can understand easily.
By B0ycey
snapdragon wrote:She’s a snob herself.

There’s nothing wrong with speaking properly and there’s a lot right with it. It would be just as easy for her to pronounce words properly.

She might think it’s cool to speak the way she does.

She sounds what my mum would have called common. I used to speak that way myself to fit in, but it was a choice.

Being able to speak properly helped a lot with my early education as I knew what words should sound like and took to reading easily as I could spell out a word phonetically.

I didn’t expect apple to be spelt apaw, for example.

But anyway, it’s nicer to listen to standard English than a low class Thames estuary.

Moreover, the way she speaks is a major part of her job. It’s her job to speak clearly and properly so that people listening can understand easily.

How is she a snob herself? She never bought it up and has EVERY RIGHT to defend herself in any case once she was attacked. And no, she doesn't sound common at all. I can't say I have ever even picked up on her not pronouncing "g's" correctly which means you have to be a fucking tit to even suggest that. She doesn't even speak badly in any case and makes a change from the queen's English upper-class non sporty pedigree we used to have on the BBC once upon a time in any case.

As for making it a choice to speak like that to be "cool", well that is just utterly bollocks. You don't train to speak unless you take elocution lesson which only the biggest tits on the planet do. She speaks just standard English and she presents herself better than Lawrence in any case who can even say Microwave correctly. She is more than adequate for her job and has built herself a fantastic career which would not have been possible if she couldn't be understood.

Nonetheless I can tell you what REALLY happened in any case. This tit of a Lord clearly is a racist tit and was so annoyed that a black woman had made a great job on the Olympics that rather than be a outright racist he had to attack another part of her character for oneupmanship. After all I am guessing this tit knows who Jonathan Ross is, a presenter once on radio who needs to speak clearly more so than on television and someone who hasn't pronounced a fucking 'R' correctly in his career yet no comment by him.
By AFAIK
I always felt self conscious in conversation in England. If I added an invisible r to a word I felt too posh but leaving it out felt common. I also hate prescriptive people. It's a living language, get over it.
By snapdragon
Well, that was a rant and a half, boycey! What was that all about? You’re being ridiculous.
She’s not very well spoken and as she has a presenter’s job, then she ought to be.
I’m not sure what Jonathan Ross’s speech impediment has to do with whether he’s well spoken or not, though as a matter of fact he doesn’t drop his gs and his grammar is fine.
She went on about where she was brought up, which was the same part of London as me and I was brought up to be well spoken. If you want to get on in life then it’s vital to know to speak properly - and as I said before, it’s a huge asset to know what English should sound like when it comes to education.
By B0ycey
I thought you grew up on a council estate in Wales @snapdragon?

Nonetheless it is clear Jonathan Ross is unable to pronounce his 'R's' whilst the same can't be said of Scott doing likewise with her 'G's' so to suggest that she can't is either wrong or Lord Snooty is being padentic. Either way nobody has mentioned this before and clearly people can understand her given the support she has received. As for Ross who indeed has a speech problem, this hasn't effected his career and even if Scott was unable to pronounce her 'G's' it wouldn't matter given she is great at her job.

Also I doubt Lord Snooty Shit would say your elocution is perfect given you grew up in a poor district in London. Without lessons accents are very difficult to get rid of and although I am sure to you and your impression, you speak perfectly and elegantly, I would say given your background that is unlikely and you have picked up some regional twang.
By snapdragon
@B0ycey

Me?!! Wales? No . I think I’ve only visited once that I can remember. I’m a cockney sparrer. I was brought up on a council estate in the east end of London.

For some reason it’s okay to mock Jonathan Ross , but it’s not something decent people would do to a person with a different speech impediment, such as a stammer, for some reason. Being in the public eye makes you fair game.

Anyway, despite his inability to pronounce r , he’s fairly well spoken.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare him to someone with sloppy speech.

As for this particular young lady getting a lot of support, it doesn’t mean much.

Meghan Markle gets a lot of support, though god knows why.
By B0ycey
@snapdragon, Scott doesn't have sloppy speech. She is very clear in her language and presentation and I am not criticising Ross in any case. Although his pununcuation of R is significantly weaker than Scotts pununcuation of G which to be frank is questionable due to snobbery in any case. Also Ross doesn’t stammer I might add.

As for Lord Snooty Shit, he can hide behind free speech all he likes, but people have the right to counter his argument due to free speech as well and I would say that Digby seems to have missed that logic rather than just play that card. Either way I would say trying to find fault in Scott presentation is BS anyway and to attack her for a minor issue like the pununcuation of G, especially given language is suppose to evolve (we don't talk Shakespearean do we?), is poor form in any case.
By snapdragon
Now it’s getting surreal. I don’t think anyone’s suggesting we still talk as if it were the 17th century or even like an Edwardian in an old fashioned farce.

Of course language evolves over time, but what does that have to do with it? The cockney my grandfather spoke is almost dead.

As for believing for people down classing the way they speak being bollocks, well that’s bollocks. It’s always been done.

Never heard of mockney, boycey?

Jeremy Corbyn’s kids do it. Call their friends bruv etc. They want to look cool. The real working class laugh at them, by the way.

You are prejudiced. You automatically support that young lady because of inverse snobbery.

One man mentioned it annoyed him to listen to poorly spoken English when trying to catch up with Olympics and you want to abolish a whole group of people because of it.
By B0ycey
@snapdragon, I don't support Scott because of prejudice, I support her due to snobbery. I don't really know why this tit felt the need to tweet a negative comment for, but the guy was wrong to do so and deserved the social media backlash he got and I don't see why language shouldn't evolve in any case given it does. People need to understand that the whole point of communication is to communicate and Scott does that better than Digby in any case whether she sounds the G at the end of the words to Digbys liking or not.
By Puffer Fish
I think there's a balance to be struck.

The concept of nobility and a privileged class is not entirely right, but on the other hand creating an environment of pure democracy is likely to result in the type of mob rule and chaos that was best exemplified in the wake of the French Revolution.

Sad to say but the trashy commoners can't be trusted to run themselves all by themselves. You often get a totalitarian society that way, as they keep passing more and more stupid rules and power gets consolidated.

But if you create a privileged elite, even though their government may be more civilized, there will always be a strong tendency towards self interest and apathy towards the economic situation of others in a different position than themselves.
By snapdragon
Language has always evolved and always will, but that’s a separation conversation. My daughters used to laugh at me for using words like snazzy and trendy.

That has nothing to do with what’s happened here.

Nobody’s saying this young lady ought to have a plummy accent, but she should be able to be able to pronounce her words properly with a job like hers.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]