Is Boris Johnson on the ropes? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Istanbuller wrote:Turkey is doing fine with everyone in the EU except Greece and Cyprus. There is no way you can convince these two guys. EU leaders should put these guys in their places.

Greece can be convinced with exception I think. Cyprus on the other hand, can't be solved easily since there will always be an argument that Turkey is not trully democratic if it doesn't release Cyprus. It is a legacy issue that will impede your admission but I am not really sure why you need northern Cyprus in the first place. It was always a political card for local consumption and if Turkey moves to liberal democracy then who the hell cares.
Rancid wrote:@JohnRawls, do you see a post-putin Russia that is more aligned with Europe & NATO than China? :eek:

Yes, almost 100% Russia will have a very heavy pro-Eu and US swing if his regime falls.
JohnRawls wrote:Yes, almost 100% Russia will have a very heavy pro-Eu and US swing if his regime falls.

Maybe, I could see China funding and installing a new dictator/Putin though.
Rancid wrote:Maybe, I could see China funding and installing a new dictator/Putin though.

If they want to do the same thing that Putin does for Lukashenko then sure but you will have to miltiply the money train 50 fold. If Putins regime falls then that is it. China is unilaterally despised by all opposition in Russia besides only perhaps the communists and some local businessman who are in bed with China or illicit exports.
So the plan is to rule the waves with Peppa Pig? I wonder if Trump has ever had such plans with Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck, especially as president. But he could never resonate with his people so much publicly.

Meanwhile, in Germany, the Merkel era is over and I wonder if anyone will storm the Bundestag while electing a new chancellor and government. Or how about a super-reasonable referendum campaign on a fundamental issue? No, the Huns would die out of boredom rather than having some fun like that, and they also seem unwilling to buy into clowns for the sake of their own and the world's amusement.

Beren wrote:Meanwhile, in Germany, the Merkel era is over and I wonder if anyone will storm the Bundestag while electing a new chancellor and government. Or how about a super-reasonable referendum campaign on a fundamental issue? No, the Huns would die out of boredom rather than having some fun like that, and they also seem unwilling to buy into clowns for the sake of their own and the world's amusement.

The Huns did 'interesting' back between 1914 and 1945. It was their one and only time when they tried to be 'interesting', and they decided that they had been much better off being boring after all. So here we are. :)
Potemkin wrote:The Huns did 'interesting' back between 1914 and 1945. It was their one and only time when they tried to be 'interesting', and they decided that they had been much better off being boring after all. So here we are. :)

They needed two things for that. First, they had to learn from (their own) history. Second, they had to be aware it was their history and not their present. It may have been easier for them after losing two world wars and suffering the consequences.
Beren wrote:They needed two things for that. First, they had to learn from (their own) history. Second, they had to be aware it was their history and not their present. It may have been easier for them after losing two world wars and suffering the consequences.

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a picture of a clown.

Potemkin wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a picture of a clown.

I mean the Brits still live in the past as if it's their present, which is quite familiar to me as a Hungarian.
Beren wrote:I mean the Brits still live in the past as if it's their present, which is quite familiar to me as a Hungarian.

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner

The present moment is merely a flash in the pan, a fleeting instant which barely exists before it becomes the past, and thereby becomes real. What we call "the present" is actually just the past from a few seconds ago being remembered. The future does not yet exist, the present is a fleeting illusion, and only the past can be said to be real. And the past is inaccessible to us except through our imperfect memories of it. So... looks like William Faulkner was right after all then. :)
Potemkin wrote:"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner

The present moment is merely a flash in the pan, a fleeting instant which barely exists before it becomes the past, and thereby becomes real. What we call "the present" is actually just the past from a few seconds ago being remembered. The future does not yet exist, the present is a fleeting illusion, and only the past can be said to be real. And the past is inaccessible to us except through our imperfect memories of it. So... looks like William Faulkner was right after all then. :)

And he wasn't German, Americans meant to relive their history as well recently.

I should have used the word "history" in my previous post again, one just can't be careful and precise enough on PoFo.
Potemkin wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a picture of a clown.

I want you to think about this song every time you see BoJo.

The top comment on that video:

" I still remember when clowns were in the circus and not in twitter "
:lol:
Rancid wrote:I want you to think about this song every time you see BoJo.

The top comment on that video:

" I still remember when clowns were in the circus and not in twitter "
:lol:

Like it or not, that country is your protectorate and responsibility.
Stephen Sondheim just died. I thought this would be appropriate....

Beren wrote:I hope nobody should die defending them from their own...well...exceptionalism.

Every nation believes itself to be exceptional, @Beren. But the UK is the only nation which is correct in this belief. :)
Potemkin wrote:Every nation believes itself to be exceptional

This is a true statement. Anyone that would say otherwise if full of it.

By it, I mean shit.

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia could[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]

You are a supporter of the genocide against the P[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]