When You Disregard History... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.

German industry is grinding to a halt
Matthew Lynn, July 4th, 2022

For the first time in a generation, the country has an export deficit

The Soviet Union had only just collapsed. John Major was still a relatively fresh-faced Prime Minister. And the internet consisted of a few desktop computers linking together a handful of laboratories. The world was a very different place when Germany last posted a trade deficit way back in 1991. But on Monday, the country recorded that imports outstripped exports for more than 30 years. True, other countries are recording huge deficits, not least the UK. For Germany, though, it matters more. Its entire economy has been built around creating an industrial machine that dominates global markets. That machine is now grinding to a halt.

By the standards of Britain, the United States, or indeed France, the €1 billion deficit that Germany announced today might seem like a mere accounting error. Exports unexpectedly fell, while imports surged as the cost of energy spiked. It is not as if the country is about to go bust or call in the IMF to pay its bills. But here’s the catch. Germany is almost uniquely an export-based economy. Until recently it was racking up surpluses of 8 or 9 per cent of GDP, or €20 billion a month, the biggest in the world. And there are three big problems with that disappearing.

First, the German economy is based on selling high-end industrial goods to the rest of the world. Unlike many other countries, it doesn’t have huge service industries to take up the slack if that goes into decline, nor does it have a major financial centre to bring in invisible earnings if the container ships start to go elsewhere. Take the big exporters out of the German economy and it is a little hard to figure out what is left.

What follows a fall in exports is a fall in those well-paid manufacturing jobs that are the backbone of the German economy. True, given a little time Germany should be able to create jobs in services and retail as many other countries have done. But they won’t be paid as much, nor will they necessarily suit blue collar workers. A whole generation of skilled Germans will have little else to do.

Finally, it is going to mean a massive eurozone deficit as well. Of all the countries within the zone, Germany was the only major surplus country. The result? The currency will weaken and weaken. Indeed, the euro hit parity with the Swiss franc over the weekend and is already close to parity with the dollar.

In truth, the German industrial export machine was fuelled by cheap energy from Russia – and that fuel could soon run dry, as Wolfgang Münchau wrote in last week’s magazine. For most of the post-war era, Germany has prided itself on very low inflation, a stable currency, and a huge trade surplus. Right now, it has a very Italian or Greek mix of 8 per cent inflation, a crumbling currency, and a rising trade deficit. Many other countries are used to that, but for Germans it will come as a shock.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/ger ... -to-a-halt
Donald is a moronic narcissist. His political analysis is based on not having enough time to read intelligence reports and bombastic proclamations. He was buddies with Putin. Enough said. You are a drone of a failed bankrupted conman.☕
Tainari88 wrote:
Donald is a moronic narcissist. His political analysis is based on not having enough time to read intelligence reports and bombastic proclamations. He was buddies with Putin. Enough said. You are a drone of a failed bankrupted conman.☕

*Besides* all that, it's a certain *codependent* relationship regarding energy between the two:

Germany risks recession as Russian gas crisis deepens

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/ ... 022-06-21/
This whole economic faltering is the cost of keeping NATO well past the end of the Cold War in the early nineties....

Jan. 30, 2022, 10:00 AM CST
By Reuters

Moscow denies any plan to invade but said on Sunday it would ask NATO to clarify whether it intends to implement key security commitments after earlier saying the alliance’s response to its demands did not go far enough.

“If they do not intend to do so, then they should explain why,” Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on state television. “This will be a key question in determining our future proposals.”

The United States has said it is waiting to hear back from Russia. It says NATO will not withdraw from eastern Europe or bar Ukraine but it is prepared to discuss topics such as arms control and confidence-building measures.

The European Union depends on Russia for around a third of its gas supplies and any interruption would exacerbate an existing energy crisis caused by a shortage.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/nato ... -rcna14117
ckaihatsu wrote:This whole economic faltering is the cost of keeping NATO well past the end of the Cold War in the early nineties....

The United States will always want to be the sole superpower. The problem is that Putin being a right wing nightmare has ambitions of expanding his influence like the nationalistic far right freak he is. Both Trump and Putin are that way. But Trump is not as intelligent and far more transparent. The Russian Right Wing man does not show his cards unless he has to. This should be a lesson to all people, do not vote for far right assholes who think their nation is the belly button of the universe. None of them are capable of being realistic and avoiding war.
Tainari88 wrote:
The United States will always want to be the sole superpower. The problem is that Putin being a right wing nightmare has ambitions of expanding his influence like the nationalistic far right freak he is. Both Trump and Putin are that way. But Trump is not as intelligent and far more transparent. The Russian Right Wing man does not show his cards unless he has to. This should be a lesson to all people, do not vote for far right assholes who think their nation is the belly button of the universe. None of them are capable of being realistic and avoiding war.

'Do not vote for them' is being *generous*. Who *is* there to vote for, anyway -- (!)

Last year, when Biden announced the US withdrawal from Afghanistan, he said, “We’ve been a nation too long at war. If you’re 20 years old today, you have never known an America at peace.” He declared, “It’s time to end the forever war.”

Now Biden is committing the American population to a new perpetual war, asserting that there are no limits to the resources that must be devoted to it.

The eruption of the war has been accompanied by the total abandonment of any efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19. According to US government estimates, there will be 100 million new cases of COVID-19 this fall, more than the number of all COVID-19 cases previously reported to date. And Congress has refused to pass any additional pandemic funding, meaning that uninsured people will be forced to pay for COVID-19 vaccines, testing and treatments out of pocket.

There does not, outside of the International Committee of the Fourth International, exist any organized political opposition to the war plans of US imperialism. The social basis for the building of a new anti-war movement is the working class. Just as imperialist war abroad is at the same time a war on the working class at home, so too the fight against war is at the same time a fight of the working class against inequality, exploitation and the capitalist profit system.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2022/0 ... s-j02.html
ckaihatsu wrote:'Do not vote for them' is being *generous*. Who *is* there to vote for, anyway -- (!)

The ones allowed to be in the White House are not capable of avoiding war or profits for corporations. It is a two-party both such scenario Ckaihatsu. It is the problem of dysfunction. The working class in the USA is not voting as a solid block. It is fractured. I really think it is dysfunctional at this point.
Tainari88 wrote:
The ones allowed to be in the White House are not capable of avoiding war or profits for corporations. It is a two-party both such scenario Ckaihatsu. It is the problem of dysfunction. The working class in the USA is not voting as a solid block. It is fractured. I really think it is dysfunctional at this point.

Yeah, especially now that 'attempting a coup' is an electoral "option" now. (Yeesh.) Fortunately the working class doesn't *need* politicians -- voting only legitimizes that bourgeois institution / practice of *statism*.
ckaihatsu wrote:Yeah, especially now that 'attempting a coup' is an electoral "option" now. (Yeesh.) Fortunately the working class doesn't *need* politicians -- voting only legitimizes that bourgeois institution / practice of *statism*.

Apathetic and unengaged citizens is what the dictatorships always love Ckaihatsu. The Latin Americans have had enough of those to realize that ignoring those power-hungry people is never going to make them stop. You got to organize and pressure the hell out of them. Usually, it is a very problematic situation. But Latin America does not have nukes. The USA does. So? If you allow a very dictator scene with the far-right fascistic racists which the USA adores in there? In the power vacuum, you are asking for trouble.
Tainari88 wrote:
Apathetic and unengaged citizens is what the dictatorships always love Ckaihatsu. The Latin Americans have had enough of those to realize that ignoring those power-hungry people is never going to make them stop. You got to organize and pressure the hell out of them. Usually, it is a very problematic situation. But Latin America does not have nukes. The USA does. So? If you allow a very dictator scene with the far-right fascistic racists which the USA adores in there? In the power vacuum, you are asking for trouble.

The international working class doesn't have an interest in bourgeois *geopolitics*, either -- ultimately the outcome of involvement in geopolitics is *more geopolitics*.
ckaihatsu wrote:The international working class doesn't have an interest in bourgeois *geopolitics*, either -- ultimately the outcome of involvement in geopolitics is *more geopolitics*.

Latin America produces great working-class leaders. Unfortunately, they get ousted by the USA mostly. :D

The USA just likes vulgar conmen and liars extraordinaire for leaders or wishy-washy types saying let us compromise. It never works.
Tainari88 wrote:Latin America produces great working-class leaders. Unfortunately, they get ousted by the USA mostly. :D

The USA just likes vulgar conmen and liars extraordinaire for leaders or wishy-washy types saying let us compromise. It never works.

Tainari88 wrote:
Latin America produces great working-class leaders. Unfortunately, they get ousted by the USA mostly. :D

Yup.

*Personally*, I think that the U.S. needs to formally come to terms with its barbaric past of genocide and slavery, and Jim Crow. I find myself reiterating the example of South Africa's 'Truth and Reconciliation Committee', post-apartheid, but I know that that wasn't perfect either.
ckaihatsu wrote:Yup.

*Personally*, I think that the U.S. needs to formally come to terms with its barbaric past of genocide and slavery, and Jim Crow. I find myself reiterating the example of South Africa's 'Truth and Reconciliation Committee', post-apartheid, but I know that that wasn't perfect either.

I think you need to have people willing to understand the problem. Many don't because this nation does not really give history its due. It is an unstudied subject. My son got a perfect A+ in history this past semester. The highest grade in any subject in his grade level. The teacher said,(your son loves history with a lot of passion, he says his mother tells great history through engaging stories), it makes me smile.

If you can bring the past history to life? The young take it and run with it and make better decisions learning from the past. A perfect balance. But if they have no sense of their roots? They don't understand what went on before. I took my little boy to visit his grandfather's grave. His ashes are buried there.

He asked him questions. It was wonderful, but it made me sad that he never got to meet his maternal grandfather. Neither did he meet his paternal grandfather. All his grandparents had been dead years before he was born.

But I bring them to life for him by telling him stories about his grandparents. I knew my parents very very well. And they led very very interesting lives. By telling him stories of their lives he gets to know them.
Tainari88 wrote:I think you need to have people willing to understand the problem. Many don't because this nation does not really give history its due. It is an unstudied subject. My son got a perfect A+ in history this past semester. The highest grade in any subject in his grade level. The teacher said,(your son loves history with a lot of passion, he says his mother tells great history through engaging stories), it makes me smile.

If you can bring the past history to life? The young take it and run with it and make better decisions learning from the past. A perfect balance. But if they have no sense of their roots? They don't understand what went on before. I took my little boy to visit his grandfather's grave. His ashes are buried there.

He asked him questions. It was wonderful, but it made me sad that he never got to meet his maternal grandfather. Neither did he meet his paternal grandfather. All his grandparents had been dead years before he was born.

But I bring them to life for him by telling him stories about his grandparents. I knew my parents very very well. And they led very very interesting lives. By telling him stories of their lives he gets to know them.

You are undefeatable amazing. Asking the ashes some questions...If I asked questions of the ashes..
Tainari88 wrote:
I think you need to have people willing to understand the problem. Many don't because this nation does not really give history its due. It is an unstudied subject. My son got a perfect A+ in history this past semester. The highest grade in any subject in his grade level. The teacher said,(your son loves history with a lot of passion, he says his mother tells great history through engaging stories), it makes me smile.

Cool -- thanks for sharing, as ever.

All the best to your family.

He's not going to get 12 years. Relax. Yeah, the[…]

And there is clear and objective differences bet[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Increasingly, they're admitting defeat. https://tw[…]