European Industry will be exported to China, Nords-Sream 2 has to go online - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
ckaihatsu wrote:
I'm going to have to say 'perfect storm', myself, unfortunately.

That could easily wind up being the situation. Thanks to Brexit, I wonder if England is going to be hit particularly hard. In addition to rising costs and interest rates, their financial markets are likely to get wind up in the EU.

Brexit is looking dumber by the day.
Also just look at the NASDAQ / stock-markets for 2022, year-to-date.

late wrote:
That could easily wind up being the situation. Thanks to Brexit, I wonder if England is going to be hit particularly hard. In addition to rising costs and interest rates, their financial markets are likely to get wind up in the EU.

Brexit is looking dumber by the day.

Yeah, well, that's the UK -- the guy was talking about Greece and Italy being EU economic outliers again.

I have to admit that I'm hopeful about tech -- current conditions may lend towards some kind of technical game-changer, at least that's what the tech 'promise' always is, anyway.

Wave power, solar, fusion maybe, SMRs / Thorium, whatever.
ckaihatsu wrote:

Yeah, well, that's the UK -- the guy was talking about Greece and Italy being EU economic outliers again.

I have to admit that I'm hopeful about tech -- current conditions may lend towards some kind of technical game-changer, at least that's what the tech 'promise' always is, anyway.

Wave power, solar, fusion maybe, SMRs / Thorium, whatever.

I know, but unless the EU disintegrates, they will have to help Greece and Italy.

Most of Europe is too far North for solar, and most of Europe isn't suitable for wind. I have been hoping they will re-learn what they learned from OPEC, and build some nuke reactors.
GRETA THUNBERG THINKS GERMANY SHUTTING DOWN ITS NUCLEAR PLANTS IS A BAD IDEA
"I FEEL THAT IT’S A MISTAKE TO CLOSE THEM DOWN IN ORDER TO FOCUS ON COAL."

Who Needs Coal?
Prominent climate activist Greta Thunberg has seemingly changed her tune — or at least softened her stance — on nuclear power.

In an interview on the German national TV channel Das Erste this week, the 19-year-old Swedish activist shared her thoughts on the German government’s decision to revert to burning coal in the wake of a deepening energy crisis brought about by the Russia-Ukraine war.

"Personally I think that it’s a very bad idea to focus on coal when [nuclear power] is already in place," Thunberg said in the interview. "But of course, it’s a very infected debate."

Timely Solution
When asked if nuclear power is the "better choice for the time being" to address the climate crisis, Thunberg said "it depends."

"If we have them already running," she continued, "I feel that it’s a mistake to close them down in order to focus on coal."

The interviewer pressed Thunberg on her answer, and asked if she thinks nuclear power should be phased out as soon as possible, but her answer to that, too, was "it depends."

"We don’t know what will happen after this," Thunberg added.

Change of Heart
Thunberg’s responses are a marked departure from her usual rhetoric surrounding nuclear power. It was only as recently as this summer that Thunberg lumped natural gas and nuclear power together, condemning them both as "false solutions" that were a symptom of "greenwashing," in a tweet ahead of the European Parliament’s eventual decision to label the two forms of energy as renewables.

Still, Thunberg’s replies this week were noticeably cautious, avoiding outright decrying nuclear power, but also avoiding touting it as the panacea to our energy and climate problems.

Wherever she truly stands on nuclear, it’s a bold — albeit somewhat tepid — position to take in a country like Germany, which has had a strained relationship with nuclear power despite being early adopters. The government vowed in 2011 to shut down all nuclear power plants by the end of this year, but those plans have been delayed as the nation struggles to worm its way out of the energy crisis.

I love the small bitch :D

Significantly, the head grid operator explained that the energy crisis Germany and the rest of the EU are facing is not entirely resulting from the war in Ukraine but rather comes as "overlapping issues" become more prominent. The war and the anti-Russian sanctions have definitely had a partial impact on the energy sectors in the EU, however, the most important factor in the crisis is the lack of nuclear power plants.

https://english.almayadeen.net/news/pol ... ices-to-eu
Okay, okay, I *know* I'm a softie for a tech magic-bullet kind of approach / solution, like whatever this is that I'll add to my pile, but -- that said, my ticket's on solar concentrators for steam, and a steam *piston*, d.i.y. or greater, for electricity, as I've put on this thread.

(Germany's been building large cylindrical tanks, as for petroleum, but for *boiling water*, for domestic heating needs.)
The US benefits in this war:
- EU industry is moving to the USA.
-The USA can sell its fracking LNG, to a higher price.
-Their nemesis Russia is weakened and isolated. The Ukrainians are cannonfodder of the West like we Bonians :-(

BASF to cut 2,600 jobs on high costs in Europe

...“Europe’s competitiveness is increasingly suffering from overregulation, slow and bureaucratic permitting processes, and in particular, high costs for most production input factors,” said Chief Executive Martin Brudermueller...

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/24/basf-to ... urope.html
Last edited by Skynet on 02 Mar 2023 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

Modern capitalism is quite different from the way[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I love how everybody is rambling about printing mo[…]

I'm not American. Politics is power relations be[…]

@FiveofSwords If you want to dump some random […]