Transparency International Corruption 2010 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Brazil is amongst the least corrupt nations in LA? I find that hard to believe lol

Anyway, after analyzing that link, I can see you forgot Uruguay and Cuba. The list is as follows:

1. Chile (7.2)
2. Uruguay (6.9)
3. Puerto Rico (5.8 )
4. Costa Rica (5.3)
5. Brazil (3.7)
5. Cuba (3.7)
7. Panama (3.6)
8. Colombia (3.5)
8. Peru (3.5)
10. Guatemala (3.2)

For comparison, Denmark, which is the first in the list, has a 9.3 score. So Latin America is far from being in acceptable levels :P

I hope to see Brazil at least above the 5 mark soon, though...
Brazil is the third less corrupt country in south america... With corruption levels on par with italy. And they have a wide range of EU resources (as well as police cooperation) to improve their ratings.

Now, comparing brazil with denmark can perhaps be considered foul play.
They have a much smaller territory, a much more regionalized power structure with way more feedback towards the population and a completely different culture.
They've got egalitarianism imprinted in their society, and a much stronger communal bond. Not sure if you heard of skattenlist in Norway, but it is essentially a list that sets available to the public the income declaration of every citizen in the country. Denmark and Sweden have their own versions of it. Meaning that you could look at your neighbor's income if you so desired (and report anything suspicious, like an undeclared ferrari). Its a law from the 1900s by the way.
Territory and organization has absolutely nothing to do with it. At least not directly. The US is about the same size as Brazil and they have 160% of the Brazilian population, yet their corruption levels are really low (the US scored 7.1 in that index). All researches seem to indicate that the corruption level is directly proportional to the size of the state. The biggest the state, the more corruptible it is. And this makes sense, considering that bigger states require more amounts of public money being transferred from one place to the other.

The Scandinavian nations, while social democratic in nature, don't have the means of production controlled directly by the state. The social programs in those countries are funded directly by the population, not by private companies, so the state doesn't really have so many money transactions on its hands...
Bullshit.

Denmark taxes over 50% of their gdp every year and has one of the largest states by comparison in the entire world, and they are damn efficient at it.
They have a state sponsored social safety net that goes as far as providing university students money for alcoh- studying.

Nordic States are characterized by:

An elaborate social safety net in addition to public services such as education and universal healthcare.
Strong property rights, contract enforcement, and overall ease of doing business. (as well as less corporate tax than you'd expect)
Public pension schemes.
Low barriers to free trade. This is combined with collective risk sharing (social programmes, labour market institutions) which has provided a form of protection against the risks associated with economic openness.
Little product market regulation. Nordic countries rank very high in product market freedom according to OECD rankings.
High degrees of labour union membership. In 2008, labour union density was 67.5% in Finland, 67.6% in Denmark, and 68.3% in Sweden. In comparison, union membership was 11.9% in the United States and 7.7% in France.
Sweden has decentralised wage co-ordination, while Finland is ranked the least flexible. The changing economic conditions have given rise to fear among workers as well as resistance by trade unions in regards to reforms. At the same time, reforms and favourable economic development seem to have reduced unemployment, which has traditionally been higher. Denmark's Social Democrats managed to push through reforms in 1994 and 1996. (See Flexicurity).
Sweden at 56.6% of GDP, Denmark at 51.7%, and Finland at 48.6% reflects very high public spending. One key reason for public spending is the very large number of public employees. These employees work in various fields including education, healthcare, and for the government itself. They often have lifelong job security and make up around a third of the workforce (more than 38% in Denmark). The public sector's low productivity growth has been compensated by an increase in the private sector’s share of government financed services which has included outsourcing. Public spending in social transfers such as unemployment benefits and early-retired programmes is high. In 2001, the wage-based unemployment benefits were around 90% of wage in Denmark and 80% in Sweden, compared to 75% in Holland and 60% in Germany. The unemployed were also able to receive benefits several years before reductions, compared to quick benefit reduction in other countries.
Public expenditure for health and education is significantly higher in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway in comparison to the OECD average.
Overall tax burden are among the world's highest; 51.1% of GDP in Sweden, and 43.3% in Finland, compared to 34.7% in Germany, 33.5% in Canada, and 30.5% in Ireland.

Nordic countries are the minimal-state's proponents worst nightmare, haha.
deSouza wrote:Bullshit.

Denmark taxes over 50% of their gdp every year and has one of the largest states by comparison in the entire world, and they are damn efficient at it.
They have a state sponsored social safety net that goes as far as providing university students money for alcoh- studying.

Nordic States are characterized by:

An elaborate social safety net in addition to public services such as education and universal healthcare.
Strong property rights, contract enforcement, and overall ease of doing business. (as well as less corporate tax than you'd expect)
Public pension schemes.
Low barriers to free trade. This is combined with collective risk sharing (social programmes, labour market institutions) which has provided a form of protection against the risks associated with economic openness.
Little product market regulation. Nordic countries rank very high in product market freedom according to OECD rankings.
High degrees of labour union membership. In 2008, labour union density was 67.5% in Finland, 67.6% in Denmark, and 68.3% in Sweden. In comparison, union membership was 11.9% in the United States and 7.7% in France.
Sweden has decentralised wage co-ordination, while Finland is ranked the least flexible. The changing economic conditions have given rise to fear among workers as well as resistance by trade unions in regards to reforms. At the same time, reforms and favourable economic development seem to have reduced unemployment, which has traditionally been higher. Denmark's Social Democrats managed to push through reforms in 1994 and 1996. (See Flexicurity).
Sweden at 56.6% of GDP, Denmark at 51.7%, and Finland at 48.6% reflects very high public spending. One key reason for public spending is the very large number of public employees. These employees work in various fields including education, healthcare, and for the government itself. They often have lifelong job security and make up around a third of the workforce (more than 38% in Denmark). The public sector's low productivity growth has been compensated by an increase in the private sector’s share of government financed services which has included outsourcing. Public spending in social transfers such as unemployment benefits and early-retired programmes is high. In 2001, the wage-based unemployment benefits were around 90% of wage in Denmark and 80% in Sweden, compared to 75% in Holland and 60% in Germany. The unemployed were also able to receive benefits several years before reductions, compared to quick benefit reduction in other countries.
Public expenditure for health and education is significantly higher in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway in comparison to the OECD average.
Overall tax burden are among the world's highest; 51.1% of GDP in Sweden, and 43.3% in Finland, compared to 34.7% in Germany, 33.5% in Canada, and 30.5% in Ireland.

Nordic countries are the minimal-state's proponents worst nightmare, haha.

Wow, that has absolutely nothing to do with it. While it is true that the overall tax burden is high, that is not true for corporate taxes alone. In fact, corporate taxes in Denmark weight only 25%. That's less than Japan's corporate tax of 40% or even Brazil with its 35%.

So, while it is true that the overall tax burden in Denmark is huge, that comes mainly from personal taxes and it is not meant to influence the economy. Public money is invested only on social areas like education and healthcare. All means of production are normally controlled by private companies. In fact, Denmark was considered the most competitive nation by The Economist in 2008.

When the taxes are concentrated on individuals instead of companies and when there is a free market for the means of production, there isn't much money coming into the public vaults from them, except in taxes (and, as I said, corporate taxes in Denmark are actually low). So there isn't much room for corruption. Look at this graph, for example:

You will see that corporate taxes in places like the US (which is a liberal/capitalist haven) are actually higher than in all nordic countries. And that is where the main difference lies. While the state is large in Denmark, it is economically weak, as it allows free competition for all means of production and does not allow monopoly except in areas that are considered essentially social like education, healthcare and public security. This doesn't leave much room for corruption. You will never see a corruption scandal in a public company there, like it happened in Brazil a lot this year, because public companies there don't play such a major role as they do in here...
Wow, sorry I left out Uruguay. But let's face it, corruption is indeed pervasive in Latin America. This is in part due to a really suphocating bureaucracy, with lots of small time bureaucrats able to squeeze individuals at will, coupled to lack of accountability at the top, which allow big time corruption to proliferate in the power centers (President down to governor, generals, etc). Its a cultural thing, everybody steals what they can, avoid taxes illegally when they can, and so on. Which means the police, and other investigative arms are fairly useless when it comes to fighting corruption.

I did bring up Venezuela as the most corrupt. I had the ability to see how it degenerated into the most corrupt Latin American nation under Chavez. What the Chavez regime did was to increase regulations, set up systems which allowed those connected to the government to steal and take bribes, weaken the judiciary and police, and let it be known the constitution and the law were there to be broken. So today it has a huge crime rate coupled to a huge corruption problem, and its economy is a shambles. LIke I said in previous posts, the Chavez regime is run by thugs and idiots.
Smertio wrote:All researches seem to indicate that the corruption level is directly proportional to the size of the state. The biggest the state, the more corruptible it is. And this makes sense, considering that bigger states require more amounts of public money being transferred from one place to the other.

I would be interested what research you are referring to. How do you define 'big state'?

So, while it is true that the overall tax burden in Denmark is huge, that comes mainly from personal taxes and it is not meant to influence the economy. Public money is invested only on social areas like education and healthcare. All means of production are normally controlled by private companies. In fact, Denmark was considered the most competitive nation by The Economist in 2008.

When the taxes are concentrated on individuals instead of companies and when there is a free market for the means of production, there isn't much money coming into the public vaults from them, except in taxes (and, as I said, corporate taxes in Denmark are actually low). So there isn't much room for corruption. Look at this graph, for example:

Denmark had a corporate tax rate of 32% in 2001, but its corruption index has been excellent back then. It would be interesting to see if other countries lowering corporate taxes has an influence on their corruption index. To be sure, examples of an increase in corporate tax rate correlating with more corruption would also be good.

The US and Germany have a high corporate tax rate compared to Scandinavian countries, but rank low in corruption.

Personally, I think the link is not as strong as you'd like it to be.
SC: if you actually once lived in Venezuela, than you should have known it always was like that.

Venezuela has been pumping up oil for 40 years now. And where Arab countries have managed to shape their nations from lil dirt buildings to their wildest dreams,.. Venezuela stil has a very fast number of ghetto dwellers. It is their voice that Chavez got elected.
Maas, Venezuela's corruption has increased 10 fold. In other words, it "wasn't always like that". The degree of corruption today is industrial strength, it's pervasive. The government passes laws and regulations which institutionalize corruption, plus they ignore their own laws. You don't really get it, I lived in Venezuela and left recently, and I was on the inside. I saw government officials violate regulations in such a casual way, it was sickening.

An interesting bit, corruption is so bad, the government tried to control it at the lower levels by placing Cubans in key positions. For example, there are Cubans running the Onidex, the outfit which issues identity cards (cedulas) and passports. The Venezuelans working in the Onidex are still corrupt, and business is still done, but it either has to be done with the Cubans' approval, or it's done behind their back. And when it's done behind their backs, the Venezuelans do get really nervous. Why do I know this? BEcause I had to pay to get the documents I was supposed to get because I was entitled to get them, but they refused to so because it is now customary for foreigners to have to pay off to get things done. When I was meeting with the Onidex crook I had to bribe, he met ahead of me with a poor Venezuelan, who had been marked to make a large payment for his cedula just because he happened to be a doctor and was known to have money and no political connections (he had voted for the opposition and was in the Tascon list). So I have seen corruption in Venezuela surge in ways you can't imagine, I have seen it first hand, at high levels, with government officials issuing large contracts to cronies which allowed the theft of hundreds of millions of USD, to the low level bs one sees having to pay for a goddam cedula. And in between.

Why do you think I left? I realized the place was so corrupt, so crooked, and so disfunctional, it was hopeless. Venezuela is never going to recover from the mess Chavez has created. And this is why it is now considered one of the most corrupt and crime ridden countries in the Solar system.
Smertios wrote:Wow, that has absolutely nothing to do with it. While it is true that the overall tax burden is high, that is not true for corporate taxes alone. In fact, corporate taxes in Denmark weight only 25%. That's less than Japan's corporate tax of 40% or even Brazil with its 35%.

Official corporate tax rates don't say shit: it's the effective rate that matters and Denmark's effective rate is probably higher than Brazil's. You can't explain corruption through abstract things like size of government etc... A lot of it is cultural. Even the Danish system is not 100% watertight: if you try hard enough you will find ways to make money through corruption, the point is most Danish civil servants just don't even try because there is a huge cultural stigma on taking money you didn't work for. Chances are Brazil would be a lot less corrupt if it was settled by the Danish, but it was settled by the Portuguese who did, and still do, not take much offense to corruption (as can be seen on the OP's original link).
Modernjan wrote:Chances are Brazil would be a lot less corrupt if it was settled by the Danish, but it was settled by the Portuguese who did, and still do, not take much offense to corruption (as can be seen on the OP's original link).

Your lack of knowledge on the subject is clear in that passage. Brazil had negligible corruption levels during the 19th century. Corruption around here is a pretty recent phenomenon...
Smertios wrote:Your lack of knowledge on the subject is clear in that passage. Brazil had negligible corruption levels during the 19th century. Corruption around here is a pretty recent phenomenon...

Even if that were true (I can't claim anything on that either way because I doubt reliable records about corruption in the 19th century exist) it doesn't disprove my theory that culture influences how much one is inclined to corruption (because there may simply have been less opportunity for corruption in 19th century Brazil, possibly because there were fewer large organizations, or maybe the corruption just went unnoticed/unrecorded). Of course it's not the only factor (history and inequality also contribute).

For example it's clear from the chart in the OP's post that historically Catholic countries are much more corrupt than historically protestant countries, really the only exception seems to be tiny Ireland. Brazil and Portugal are historically Catholic countries, Denmark is historically a Protestant country. I'm saying "historically" here because the historic religion heavily influences contemporary values, work ethic, etc... even for atheists living in that society. This is in tune with the Catholic motto of "you can get away with everything, go to heaven, as long as people don't find out and you go to confession" vs. the Protestant motto of "you'll go to hell if you do something bad because god sees everything, period". I myself am an atheist but i've lived in both historically Catholic and Protestant countries and regions and found that the difference really shows in local culture and its values, even among atheists.

My point is that if you leave all the laws, systems, infrastructure and businesses intact in Sweden, but replace the 9.4 million Swedes with 9.4 million Italians, then the corruption index of Sweden would plummet from it's current 9.2 to something closer to Italy's 3.9.

Disclaimer: I'm talking about culture and culture alone. I'm not claiming any of this has to do anything with ethnicity or genes whatsoever: if a Somali family adopted a Swedish baby he would grow up to be corrupt, if a Swedish family adopted a Somalian baby he would grow up to be incorruptible.
Modernjan wrote:Even if that were true (I can't claim anything on that either way because I doubt reliable records about corruption in the 19th century exist) it doesn't disprove my theory that culture influences how much one is inclined to corruption (because there may simply have been less opportunity for corruption in 19th century Brazil, possibly because there were fewer large organizations, or maybe the corruption just went unnoticed/unrecorded). Of course it's not the only factor (history and inequality also contribute).

Well, there weren't statistics and indexes for perception of corruption back then. There are, however, numerous examples of magazines and newspapers from the time. And, when people compare them to publications from modern days, the difference is quite clear. There were no corruption scandals back then. If you take all modern brazilian publications, you will find corruption scandals every week. There was no such thing back then.

Of course, one can claim that corruption could have gone unnoticed, but that is probably not the case. Brazil suppressed censorship in the press in 1821. Unlike most of the world (especially in the Americas), we remained a politically stable constitutional and parliamentary monarchy through all of the 19th century. There were two main parties (liberals and conservatives), each with their own publications. And besides that, there were several republican and even apolitical publications. And they all criticized the governments all the time, telling what they did wrong, criticizing economic policies and legislation passed etc. The entire press was keeping an eye on all government institutions, so it is hard for corruption to have gone unnoticed.

For example it's clear from the chart in the OP's post that historically Catholic countries are much more corrupt than historically protestant countries, really the only exception seems to be tiny Ireland. Brazil and Portugal are historically Catholic countries, Denmark is historically a Protestant country. I'm saying "historically" here because the historic religion heavily influences contemporary values, work ethic, etc... even for atheists living in that society. This is in tune with the Catholic motto of "you can get away with everything, go to heaven, as long as people don't find out and you go to confession" vs. the Protestant motto of "you'll go to hell if you do something bad because god sees everything, period". I myself am an atheist but i've lived in both historically Catholic and Protestant countries and regions and found that the difference really shows in local culture and its values, even among atheists.

That is a valid hypothesis, but there are certainly exceptions, as you noted. Ireland is one. Chile and Uruguay are about as corrupt as the US (which is historically protestant as well). Belgium, France and Spain aren't that far from the UK or the US, either. Germany, despite being the place of birth to Lutheranism, remained majorly catholic for most of its history. Switzerland has been historically half catholic and half protestant as well. Austria has always been predominantly catholic. And I could go on and on with flaws in your hypothesis, but I'll stop it there, because that is more than enough to refute it.

I mean, I agree with you that corruption comes with culture, but that is political culture, not religion or anything of that sort. Countries with higher indexes are those that have traditionally had stable and powerful political institutions. That is why countries like Austria, Chile and Uruguay remained with low corruption levels, whereas Brazil and Italy remain quite corrupt. In the case of Brazil, for example, after 1889, we became a political hellhole. there were no stable governments at all, except for the dictatorial ones, which were heavily fought against and eventually fell. After the military regime was terminated here, in 1985, they went as far as creating new parties, a new constitution, new institutions etc. All of that creates political instability and leaves the doors open to corruption (and yes, I, as a Brazilian, am saying that the current corruption problems in Brazil all started in the last 30 years, because of the abrupt change of regime). There wasn't this much corruption during the military era (though it existed). And there wasn't much corruption before, either.

Now, in countries that, despite the existence of dictatorships, managed to keep most institutions intact, like Chile (which managed to do that, despite the new constitution), there wasn't a political revolution that led to a completely new elite, seeking power. So the doors were never opened to corruption, like it happened in Brazil. That's what the Corruption Perception index tells us, not that catholics are more corrupt, as you claim...

My point is that if you leave all the laws, systems, infrastructure and businesses intact in Sweden, but replace the 9.4 million Swedes with 9.4 million Italians, then the corruption index of Sweden would plummet from it's current 9.2 to something closer to Italy's 3.9.

Not necessarily. That really depends on who those 9,4 million Italians will be. Stable political institutions and the trust in the government matter more in that case than anything. But yes, I agree that you can't change things that abruptly. If you replace 9,2 million Swedes by 8,4 million Austrians, it is likely that the index would go down to near 8 a bit. But since the political institutions in Sweden are probably stronger and more stable, the tendency would be for it to go up again. It would be the same with Italians, though that would probably take longer...

Nice thought exercise, though :D

Disclaimer: I'm talking about culture and culture alone. I'm not claiming any of this has to do anything with ethnicity or genes whatsoever: if a Somali family adopted a Swedish baby he would grow up to be corrupt, if a Swedish family adopted a Somalian baby he would grow up to be incorruptible.

Good, that makes you just half wrong :lol:
I'm agnostic, so I really don't care for religion as such, but I live amongst you, so I have studied you very carefully. There seems to be a misconception in a comment above regarding Catholic versus Protestant beliefs: Both brands believe salvation is achieved by faith in Jesus Christ, who came to save humanity and sacrificed himself on the cross.

Protestantism has evolved to have over 25 thousand+ branches or dogmas, which provide a huge variety of variants of the basic Christian dogma. So it's possible some of them believe that, once one has done something bad, there's no way to fix the problem and one goes to hell. But this isn't the way it works in mainstream Protestantism, where one is free to murder and steal and go to heaven afterwards, as long as one is truly sorry.

I never saw religion being used as a factor in corruption incidence, but being agnostic I see religion as a subset of a cultural and political framework. Catholicism evolved as the Roman Empire's state religion. I would like to propose that, once the siege of Montsegur ended the Albigensian Crusade, solidifying Catholic ascendancy in Europe, the religion itself was so powerful it also became very corrupt, and this corruption did indeed spread to the whole of society. But I see corruption in countries such as Africa to be caused by a different problem: most of them are articificial nations created by colonial powers which forcibly joined diverse tribes and nations at the hip. This means there's no sense of nationhood at all, and therefore corruption is the norm. A Kenyan author wrote a book called "It's my turn to eat" which explains it very well.

The way I see it, Latin American corruption has a slightly different flavour. Most of the powerful elites consider themselves Europeans, and they have never reached the degree of kinship with the masses they would need to be middling honest. This means the lower classes are taught that the guys at the top steal all the time, and are corrupt at industrial scales. When those who are supposed to give an example are hyper corrupt, then everybody thinks corruption is fine. Again, it's the "It's my time to eat" syndrome. So today we see corruption at all levels practiced by people from all backgrounds, from the elite white guys who came from Europe, to the mixed bloods who make up the bulk of the population - all of them want power to steal.
Social_Critic wrote:Protestantism has evolved to have over 25 thousand+ branches or dogmas, which provide a huge variety of variants of the basic Christian dogma. So it's possible some of them believe that, once one has done something bad, there's no way to fix the problem and one goes to hell. But this isn't the way it works in mainstream Protestantism, where one is free to murder and steal and go to heaven afterwards, as long as one is truly sorry.

The difference being that you cannot cheat or buy your way into true remorse, whereas this was, and still is, possible in catholic tradition, where it was/is even possible to literally buy absolution in addition to confession and hail marys not requiring true remorse (at least that's what children were/are taught). However Calvinism (the dominant influence in much of Northern Europe) is actually one of those branches in protestantism where atonement is really hard to achieve, sometimes even impossible.

Smertios wrote:Well, there weren't statistics and indexes for perception of corruption back then. There are, however, numerous examples of magazines and newspapers from the time. And, when people compare them to publications from modern days, the difference is quite clear. There were no corruption scandals back then.

There weren't many articles in the West about pedophilia in the catholic church (to stay with the theme) 50 years ago... nor were there many in the West about pollution (which was more severe than it is now) or about crime in the West (crime levels were not that much lower than they are now). I'm just saying, the media are a poor indicator.

Smertios wrote:Chile and Uruguay are about as corrupt as the US (which is historically protestant as well). Belgium, France and Spain aren't that far from the UK or the US, either. Germany, despite being the place of birth to Lutheranism, remained majorly catholic for most of its history. Switzerland has been historically half catholic and half protestant as well. Austria has always been predominantly catholic.

It's the differences compared to neighbors that matter: Netherlands --> Belgium, Scandinavia/Netherlands --> Germany/Austria, etc... Now I'm not saying the traditional religion is the only factor: a history of inequality or poverty certainly matter and there is more to culture than just religion.

Smertios wrote:Not necessarily. That really depends on who those 9,4 million Italians will be. Stable political institutions and the trust in the government matter more in that case than anything. But yes, I agree that you can't change things that abruptly. If you replace 9,2 million Swedes by 8,4 million Austrians, it is likely that the index would go down to near 8 a bit. But since the political institutions in Sweden are probably stronger and more stable, the tendency would be for it to go up again. It would be the same with Italians, though that would probably take longer...

The Austrians don't lack anything the Swedes have: this is a perfect example of why it is naive to suppose you can just transplant one country's system to another country to solve corruption. Swedish or Dutch civil services and institutions aren't really that much better designed than their Austrian counterparts. It's just that the Swedes and the Dutch choose not to abuse the system as much (god knows they could if they wanted to). This is what my point of view was all about: knowing better than to expect corruption to be solved by better institutions, even when there is little poverty. In the end even the most efficient Scandinavian system is still vulnerable to corruption and only functions because its constituents accept the idea that some things are just inherently bad, even if no one finds out or if you go to confession afterwards. Replacing all Swedes by Italians would leave Seden very corrupt for decades, maybe even centuries because it will take that long for old traditions to die out, even today Italian policemen and civil servants don't need bribes to make ends meet, but they still continue that tradition and don't feel particularly remorseful about it (of course you could ask whether Italy's and Sweden's respective systems are not the result of their respective cultures in the first place and I think that would be a valid question).

If someone were to ask me to design a "perfect" society and state I would first ask them who the people are that are supposed to live in that society. If he answers "Italians" I know I won't have to bother because their corruption would kill off any system anyway.

You will see that corporate taxes in places like the US (which is a liberal/capitalist haven) are actually higher than in all nordic countries. And that is where the main difference lies. While the state is large in Denmark, it is economically weak, as it allows free competition for all means of production and does not allow monopoly except in areas that are considered essentially social like education, healthcare and public security. This doesn't leave much room for corruption. You will never see a corruption scandal in a public company there, like it happened in Brazil a lot this year, because public companies there don't play such a major role as they do in here...

Countries with low corporate tax rates usually tax capital income more as a part of personal income tax. Having a low corporate tax rate is usually beneficial for small countries as they can attract international companies to tax their profit in their country. Its kind of silly to think that this difference in the tax system has a significant influence on corruption.

I wouldn't say the state in denmark is "weak" either, as public transport, roads, postal service, education, healthcare etc. are firmly in governments hands. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, as public-private "partnership" often offers incentives for corruption.

Your intuition is probably right though, corruption leads to state intervention in favour of powerful (i.e. wealthy) interest groups, which can result in too much or too less regulation compared to what would be economically efficient.

IMO the amount of corruption is mostly determined by culture and socioeconomic factors (i.e. education, income inequality).
It's odd don't you think that the map outlines what 'the west' is. A region of Earth with relatively low levels of corruption.
Suska wrote:It's odd don't you think that the map outlines what 'the west' is. A region of Earth with relatively low levels of corruption.

lol according to that map, most of the West is quite corrupt, actually. Trying to map corruption based on culture is a terrible idea. What the map really shows us is that countries with stable government institutions and higher living standards have less corruption, obviously :p

@FiveofSwords A dollar bill is real - you can […]

God dammit, Rich. This is like whenever anyone b[…]

The cost-of-living crisis is so bleak that some G[…]

wat0n , I think I found a quote that might help b[…]