US building military base near new Argentinian tar sands bonanza - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
W.T.Whitney wrote:Oil Underground in Neuquén, Argentina – and a New US Military Base There

Obsessive media focus on President Trump’s personal indecencies undoubtedly contributes to important news stories not seeing the light of day. In that regard it’s no wonder the U.S. public is generally unaware of U.S. military interventions in parts of the world, particularly in Latin America. That way U.S. imperial excess gets a pass.

The new base, said Escobar, is “at the side of the Northern Highway, next to the international airport and the Petroleum Route, the road to Vaca Muerta (Dead Cow).”

So it appears that American corporations are setting up shop next to a recently discovered shale field in Argentina's Pampas.

Perhaps they want to make sure they can defend it against Argentinians, and if so, it's interesting that the Argentinian government is breaking their own laws to make it happen.
QatzelOk wrote:So it appears that American corporations are setting up shop next to a recently discovered shale field in Argentina's Pampas.

Perhaps they want to make sure they can defend it against Argentinians, and if so, it's interesting that the Argentinian government is breaking their own laws to make it happen.

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
It's not the right time for them to be anti-US, I guess.

CNBC wrote:Argentina looks to be headed for another economic storm

• Buenos Aires looks to be going through another economic nightmare, with prices rising rapidly while the Argentine peso drops.
  • President Macri seems to have struggled to deal with economic issues left by his predecessors and has turned to the IMF for help.

Silvia Amaro

Published 5:33 AM ET Wed, 9 May 2018 Updated 3:31 AM ET Thu, 10 May 2018

Argentina has started talks with the International Monetary Fund seeking financial rescue once again, as inflation soars and the currency sinks.
In Alberta, tar-sands developments and pipelines have met with a storm of protests.

I am thinking that the USA army is there in case the development of the tarsands in Argentina:

1. Pays 99 cents to international multinationals for every penny to Argentina
2. Pollutes drinking water and destroys wildlife
3. Enriches only top government officials who are associated with international corporate allies
4. Is done in a way that the locals who are deplaced aren't compensated
5. Uses deadly force against the local population to ensure no local input or profit

This might explain the USA's other 800 bases as well - protecting supply chaines and hired-quislings for multinational corporations.

Rancid wrote:I'm a bit surprised that Argentina would allow such a thing. Argentina is pretty anti-US with respect to them meddling in the affairs of Latin America.

Mauricio Macri did the oh-so-old "borrow billions from Western banks for crap" quisling thing and now he's their whore. He actually approved American troop movements into his country without consulation, which is illegal. But quislings will be quislings: Trump has made bad-form popular again among mafia trash.
They even have a Welsh colony @Heisenberg . Like attracts like I guess. :lol:

Y Wladfa (Welsh pronunciation: [ə uˈladva], 'The Colony');[2] also occasionally Y Wladychfa Gymreig (Welsh pronunciation: [ə ʊlaˡdɨχv̥a ɡəmˈrəɪ̯ɡ], 'The Welsh Settlement')[3][4] is a Welsh settlement in Argentina, which began in 1865 and occurred mainly along the coast of Chubut Province in the far southern region of Patagonia.

In the 19th and early 20th century the Argentine government encouraged emigration from Europe to populate the country outside the Buenos Aires region; between 1856 and 1875, 34 settlements of immigrants of various nationalities were established in Santa Fe and Entre Ríos. In addition to the main colony in Chubut, a smaller colony was set up in Santa Fe by 44 Welsh people who left Chubut, and another group settled at Coronel Suárez in southern Buenos Aires Province.[5] In the early 21st century around 50,000 Patagonians could claim to be of Welsh descent.[6]

The Welsh-Argentine community is centred on Gaiman, Trelew and Trevelin.[7] Chubut estimates the number of Patagonian Welsh speakers to be about 1,500, while other estimates put the number at 5,000.[8][9]
Beren wrote:Going broke and living on IMF-money while selling out natural resources seems the Argentinian way of life indeed. I wonder how this can be compatible with Argentinian pride.

This right-winger Macri, brought to power with Western support, is doing exactly the same thing as every other Western-backed local puppet. He'll be living in Miami (or Los Angeles) within a decade.

Heisenberg wrote:My understanding from conversations with other South Americans is that Argentines are an aloof bunch who live inside their own backsides, so I imagine they're oblivious to feelings of shame. :excited:

Exactly. The Empire's media manufactures Racism against other cultures, and this helps the general population of the empire accept their nation's atrocities abroad. The military bases around the world are the product of the racial superiority of the base-holders, and not the unrelenting greed and emptiness af the elites who pull everyone's strings.
QatzelOk wrote:Exactly. The Empire's media manufactures Racism against other cultures, and this helps the general population of the empire accept their nation's atrocities abroad.

What are you babbling on about now? Ignoring the fact that I was obviously joking, 97% of Argentina's population consists of the descendants of genocidal European colonisers, and it's one of the wealthiest and most developed countries in Latin America. They're not exactly the oppressed Noble Savages of your (unrelentingly patronising) imagination.

Decky wrote:Are they like real Taffs then or basically Argies?

They're basically a hybrid of Welsh and Argie, although the balance is probably more to the Argie side. No doubt you'd hate them. :lol:
Heisenberg wrote:They're basically a hybrid of Welsh and Argie, although the balance is probably more to the Argie side. No doubt you'd hate them. :lol:

It is hard to imagine a cross between the miserable tightfisted Welshman and openhanded carefree latin types. :?: Like crossing an Irish Wolfhound with Yorkshire terrier or something.
Decky wrote:It is hard to imagine a cross between the miserable tightfisted Welshman and openhanded carefree latin types. :?: Like crossing an Irish Wolfhound with Yorkshire terrier or something.

Your dog analogy is a good one.

As human dogs, we have zero dignity because, like real canines, we depend on our masters for food and water. Because of this, we obey him even if he abuses us, or builds military bases near our natural resources so that he can steal them if we become "rabid" and start nationalizing everything to fund (dog) education and health care.

The current president of Argentina seems to have established himself as quite the obedient dog.

ISIS doing a terrorist attack for money on a Frid[…]

It is true that the Hindu's gave us nothing. But […]

I dont buy it, Why would anyone go for a vacation […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls No. Your perception of it is not. I g[…]