Bolsonaro and Brazil - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By froggo
I'm not usually one to comment on actual political happenings going on in the world, because it really is not what most interests me (so then why am i on a political forum you may ask?--- who knows/why not!)
but i recently matched with somebody using passport on tinder and he was telling me all about what was going on over there, and it is quite horrifying. Bolsonaro has had one of the most horrendous attitudes towards the virus, even threatening using the military if state governments enact further lockdowns. The fact that Bolsonaro doesn't have total power, and that state governments can overrule him is one of the only things which has prevented the situation from becoming more dire.
The guy i matched with on tinder told me 500,000 people have died. His 55 year old neighbour died last week and he says people are tired and poorer people are actually on the verge of starvation. There is not another election until 2022, and with a disapproval rating of 57% Bolsonaro is not likely to win, but that still gives him an entire year to deny and to encourage things like large motorcycle cavalcades in support of himself. Anyways, my heart goes out to all the Brazilians and I sincerely hope that Bolsonaro was just bluffing/boasting when he threatened to use the military to prevent lockdowns!
By B0ycey
Funny, Bolsonaro most definitely hasn't taken the virus seriously and I guess cases remain high in Brazil. But they have been awarded the Copa America because Argentina are in the mist of another wave whereas they are not. In Europe, nations who were quick to lockdown are having figures catching up with those who lockdown late and now even Sweden doesn't get much mention anymore given everyone is trying to replicate their method along with their death figures not being anything of concern. I suppose when this is all over we will look back and realise that it was only ever strong lockdown or no lockdown at all. The only Western nation that seems to have in reality saved any lives could be New Zealand I would say given they lockdown strongly if one case is reported. Everyone else? Well I would say lockdowns only delayed deaths rather than save any given the figures between nations are similar regardless of what actions they took. We will have to live with the virus now and it is a question of when and not if for when we decide to continue to live our lives back to normal despite the case rate - in other words, we follow Brazils method.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Tainari88 I think it is you who fails to under[…]

The dominant race of the planet is still the White[…]

I recently heard a video where Penn Jillette (worl[…]