Social credit and reputation rehabilitation. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
A long time ago, there were circulating stories about China's implementation of a social credit system in which the population at large would receive/lose points based on their everyday interactions.
Let's begin by saying that I believe this to be a terrible idea, and I don't really want to discuss China at this time. However, I think, that whether we like it or not, we are already living in a world where there is a degree of digital/online social credit system.
A week ago, I saw a video of a racist asshole basically admitting on camera that he was a white supremacist. Today i get this video on my feed, and it seems that this guy's life is taking a massive detour for the worse:

Apparently, he lost his job, has a high risk of not being able to work on his field anytime soon and his marriage seem to be in problem as well.
I am not going to lie, I do have a warm feeling of retribution and joy. :lol: Seeing a self-professed white supremacist eat dirt does feel good. But then I am thinking, it is possible that this guy learned his lesson (or that he will in the near future) and he and/or others (ideally) would be rehabilitated... Yet, how can someone be rehabilitated from this? Now every time someone does a search for his name online they will see that this guy is branded as toxic, perhaps the worse of the worse when it comes to toxic, who wants to be associated with him? Even if he were to do a full 180, truly learn his mistakes and have a genuine change of hearts... who will want to employ someone that could be recognized as a toxic figure.
It is a tough situation to be in. I feel pitty for this guy, don't get me wrong, i felt joy and retribution, but at the same time... this guy is a victim of a shit culture, and as a society we need to do something to rehabilitate people like this. The question is. What?
Well, there is a difference between formalizing such a thing and turning it into law and what happens now at just an informal level.

One difference is that the informal way will probably have far less memory than an institutionalized system. This guy's life may be ruined, but people may forget who he is 5-10 years from now. Governments don't.
wat0n wrote:Well, there is a difference between formalizing such a thing and turning it into law and what happens now at just an informal level.

Agree. People are free to do or say whatever they want, and other people and private organizations are free to do what they want even in response to someone whose views/actions they don't like.

Why would we want to rehab this person, unless he breaks the law? It sounds like brainwashing. He's free to be a dick and deal with the social and economic repercussions of being a dick and why would I care what happens to him as a result? He is an adult with free will and is the master of his own destiny. Actions have consequences, that's life.

Care: 73 Fairness: 77 Liberty: 83 In-group: 70 Pur[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]