New Referendum Introduced in Congress - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
What will come of this status referendum? I predict not much will come of it. The USA loves limbo status and no resolution. The Republicans don't want a Spanish-speaking state and the far Right are a threat to their own democracy and definitely don't believe in a Spanish-speaking bilingual state with a bunch of racially mixed liberal voting millions of folk with more reps in congress than about 22 other states of the union. It is a non-starter.

But things change in life. It could happen.

If it does? The culture is going to die off. No doubt it will. Hawaii and many other states of the union with ethnic minorities never held on to power in the pattern the USA has. They displaced the natives. Take the best land. Impose their consumer, ahistorical amnesia ways on the rest of society. Push out the natives. Gentrify everything and become a land of tycoons from crypto ripoff schemes, Wall Street Bernie Madoff imitators, and freaks trying to avoid fiscal responsibilities. None of them are interested in Puerto Rico as an old Caribbean nation with its own identity, language, and history.

It is death. That is my opinion. What is yours?

I agree with Casa Pueblo. Not Pierluisi. I don't want to become Hawaii, Alaska and Arizona. They don't speak Spanish and they are states that are not controlled by the people who were natives to those lands. They dispossessed the natives and have a culture that is lost forever.

iThe ones who keep the lie that the culture won't die off? Don't understand the entire process of assimilation versus acculturation. It is dependent on the USA economy.

@late Oh my. Were you a lady killer, exciting al[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Assuming it's true. What a jackass. It's like tho[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]