First Time Ever An Oscar Nomination For A Lebanese Movie - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of the Middle East.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
“The Insult” Is Nominated For Best Foreign Film Oscar, First Time Ever For A Lebanese Movie

The release of the movie was not without controversy. Right off the bat of landing in Lebanon for the premiere, director Ziad Doueiry was briefly arrested and had his French and Lebanese passports confiscated because his prior movie, The Assault, had been filmed in Israel. He was ultimately trialled and released without charges.

https://stateofmind13.com/2018/01/23/th ... ese-movie/

“The Insult” Is Nominated For Best Foreign Film Oscar, First Time Ever For A Lebanese Movie

Ziad Doueiry’s latest movie, “The Insult,” was just announced as one of the five nominees in the Best Foreign Film category for the 2018 Oscars. This marks the first time ever that a Lebanese movie has scored such a nomination – the closest we’d gotten before was when Nadine Labaki’s “Where Do We Go Now” won the big prize at the Toronto Film Festival, and scored a nomination for best movie at the Critics Choice Award, losing to “A Separation.”

Released in September in Lebanon, “The Insult” quickly became one of the year’s biggest hits at the Lebanese box office, and a true testament to what Lebanese cinema can do when given proper material. In a time when we are inundated with one mind-numbing stupidity after the next, and chastised for being critical because the only thing you’re allowed to be in Lebanon is supportive, The Insult was a breath of fresh air, and hopefully a new standard by which other Lebanese filmmakers go about their craft.

The release of the movie was not without controversy. Right off the bat of landing in Lebanon for the premiere, director Ziad Doueiry was briefly arrested and had his French and Lebanese passports confiscated because his prior movie, The Assault, had been filmed in Israel. He was ultimately trialled and released without charges.

“The Insult” is about the Palestinian Yasser (Kamel El Basha), a respected foreman in Beirut charged with fixing building-code violations, who encounters car mechanic Toni (Adel Karam) whose building has an illegal drainpipe. After Yasser suggests fixing the drainpipe, Toni slams the door in his face, which prompts Yasser to fix the drainpipe anyway, leading to an insult from Yasser’s side.

This single slur then becomes the hallmark for a court case that divides the nation, pitting Palestinian refugee and construction worker, against a Lebanese Christian. The court case evolves into more than just insults, but into the long standing sectarian grievances that plague our daily lives back home.

The political backdrop of “The Insult” are historical speeches of Bachir Gemayel, with all the political pulsations that such speeches entail on the relationship between Lebanese – mostly Christians – and Palestinians refugees; it’s essentially a cross examination of an aspect of Lebanese society that many of us do not routinely address.

I recently had the honor to watch this movie in New York City. The experience of “The Insult”was humbling. It was a movie so about home, that I was watching from so far away. For the duration of its runtime, I was transported back to the streets of Achrafieh that I knew, to those encounters and discussions that we know all too well. It was so engrossing that I was disoriented, exiting that New York City theatre, as to where I was. It’s a work of art that renders you speechless, worthy of an Oscar nomination.

The entire cast did such a phenomenal job, with career defining performances. I was a proud Lebanese watching those actors soar on screen, in front of Americans who were as engrossed as I was, despite them not being aware of the historical backdrop to which the scenes unfold. It doesn’t matter – the struggles illustrated in “The Insult” are universal, transcending politics, and attaining human nature.

With that movie, Ziad Doueiry has proven once again that Lebanon has enough reservoir of stories to make proper cinema, as our brains are rendered numb with the barrage of worthless junk that fills theaters. Congrats to the makers of the movie and all of the cast, you’ve made us tremendously proud. Best of luck to you, and I hope you bring home that trophy.
@noir

Noir I can make you hate this movie in just two words:

He’s Muslim

Now let me tell you something else:

He’s not a bad Muslim

As you can see when you comprehend this knowledge your narrative no longer holds up. If Muslims aren’t all bad, if humans are complex and deep creatures with varying degrees of personality, motivation, and emotion, then you can’t stereotype Muslims, you can’t put them all in one basket and treat them horribly. Because then you begin to sympathize with them.
You hate Muslims because you constantly rant and rave about them!! Give your head a shake! Why would anyone NOT think that you hate them, when you spew hatred against them CONSTANTLY, even in threads where they aren't a topic, FFS! :knife:
Last edited by Godstud on 25 Feb 2018 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
@noir

Don’t say that around Zionist Nationalist, he’ll pin you down as an SJW leftist for life ;).

Also if you like Arabic music you should try some Arab jazz. Look into artists like Rabih Abou-Khalil, Yusuf Lateef, and Tara Tiba. They’re probably one of the more well-known persons of Arab jazz.

If you’re having trouble picking an album, I recommend you start out with “Blue Camel” by Rabih Abou-Khalil. It’s available on YouTube for free as of late so make sure to check it out!

Also, I recommend you read some Arabic literature as well invluding both modern and historical literature. I don’t have the time to give you a full list of Arabic books but wikipedia has a good selection of historical “Golden Age” literature. There’s also this collection of Palestinian folktales and mythology passed down through generations called Speak Bird, Speak Again. It’s available online for free in the website for the California Digital Library. I provided a link:

https://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpressebo ... nd=ucpress

Enjoy your afternoon
@noir
Egypt lost its control a large market share when Syrians began producing movies and Tv series in the 2000s in large scale.
Then more losses to Translated Turkish movies and series mainly translated in Lebanon.

Lebanon is on its way to take the number one place in movie production in the Arab world, but its still not there yet. Egypt is still the largest.
And many of Egypt's great late actors are not doing much or already passed now, so much of what made Egypt's cinema and what put it where it is is gone. Egypt needs to either better the quality of its new movies and series or it'll simply lose its position faster than expected since quantity doesn't suffice with quality.
This movie looks interesting.

Godstud wrote:You hate Muslims because you constantly rant and rave about them!! Give your head a shake! Why would anyone NOT think that you hate them, when you spew hatred against them CONSTANTLY, even in threads where they aren't a topic, FFS! :knife:
Those are just circumstantial evidence Godstud, that do not go beyond reasonable doubt that noir is a Muslims hater.

Unless you get a confession out of her or a witness testimony that she hates Muslims I'm afraid we can not infer that she does.

Having kinky hair does not define anyone as belon[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hopefully, we will all get what we deserve. Frie[…]

My take from this discussion is that @QatzelOk w[…]

Semafor. :lol: The Intercept :lol: