Re: USA and Taliban sign Peacedeal - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of the Middle East.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Potemkin wrote:This can be perceived as a lack of faith. If you believe in the rightness and necessity of what you are doing, then no price is too high to pay.

"And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you." - Matthew 17:20

Unless the actions would undermine the righteousness of your cause, perhaps terminally so.
wat0n wrote:Unless the actions would undermine the righteousness of your cause, perhaps terminally so.

Indeed. And that played a major role in the Soviet loss of faith.
@Potemkin

Honestly Potemkin, nobody is every going to subjugate Afghanistan no matter how powerful they are. History has many lessons of this and our political leaders and military leaders (maybe not some of our military leaders but most of them were aware that trying to subjugate Afghanistan was a foolhardy proposition) were quite aware of Afghanistan's history prior to ordering a troop surge into Afghanistan. When I was over there, myself and the guys in my unit knew full well history was not on our side, but we were soldiers required to do as we were told and we carried out our lawful orders as any good soldiers do.

The lessons I learned in history about Afghanistan certainly held true when I was there. I guess that's why it's important to study history. It certainly helped me to better survive as a soldier over there plus I studied some of the people of the region prior to my deployment to know what to expect and how to act when dealing with Afghans. That being said, when we were attacked we won our battles. So we fought well. But winning battles doesn't guarantee you will subjugate anybody or win any wars. The best the US can do is keep the terrorist threat at bay.

It might require the occasional air or missile strikes or send in special forces troops, but completely occupying Afghanistan in the event of new terrorist threats that come out of Afghanistan is not a smart thing. Obviously, the use of nuclear weapons is completely out of the question as well as that just isn't going to make the situation better and would make it worse in my opinion given the consequences of using such weapons.

Aside from all that Alexander the Great who once occupied Afghanistan left a statue that a Soviet Afghan War veteran took when he was there in the 1980s. On the statue (and I think the Taliban destroyed this statue) it stated "Anybody may occupy Afghanistan but ye shall never vanquish it." And so we see, that truth that Alexander the Great wrote thousands of years about Afghanistan still holds today.
Potemkin wrote:The Taliban are labouring under a great difficulty: they are not Marxists. Their highest aspiration is to establish a government based on Sharia law. This means that industrialisation is not an item high on their 'To Do' list.... :)

The Marxists were also divided about industrialisation, Trotzki wanted the world revolution, Stalin the industrialisation.

I think you are right they will continue to grow opium poppy and cook meth instead to use the 7 Trillion $ treasure for industrialisation.
Candace Owens

She has, and to add gravitas to what she has said[…]

@litwin is clearly an Alex Jones type conspirac[…]

Both of them have actually my interest at heart. […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

As predicted, the hasbara troll couldn't quote me […]