Sudan Coups Again - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of Africa.

Moderator: PoFo Africa Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Patrickov
I found so many people not following it so I post here:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/ ... ithin-week

I somehow think Sudan is less complicated than Myanmar, as a part of it has already seceded (yes, South Sudan)

But, as usual, I wouldn't "pay" if the price for "independence" is that high.
By ckaihatsu

Samahir El Mubarak, a spokeswoman for the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), told Al Jazeera the trade union confederation is hoping for a transition to a full civilian government. However, it does not expect al-Burhan to deliver on his promises.

“If he says he will not be part of the government he might as well step out of the picture now,” she said. “We’ve heard such promises from previous dictators.”

Mubarak added the presence of the army is complicating the country’s political situation and that the military cannot be trusted to lead a fruitful dialogue.

“You cannot hold a political dialogue with a defence institution holding a gun,” she said. “This fragile partnership has collapsed and it is time for us to move to a full civilian government.”

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/11/ ... transition
By ckaihatsu
Rancid wrote:
Send in the clowns.

Which implies a *finality* of some sort -- unfortunately there's no finality here. Here's the recent history:

2019 Sudanese Revolution and transitional government of Hamdok

Main articles: Sudanese Revolution and 2019–2024 Sudanese transition to democracy

See also: Sovereignty Council of Sudan

On 19 December 2018, massive protests began after a government decision to triple the price of goods at a time when the country was suffering an acute shortage of foreign currency and inflation of 70 percent.[130] In addition, President al-Bashir, who had been in power for more than 30 years, refused to step down, resulting in the convergence of opposition groups to form a united coalition. The government retaliated by arresting more than 800 opposition figures and protesters, leading to the death of approximately 40 people according to the Human Rights Watch,[131] although the number was much higher than that according to local and civilian reports. The protests continued after the overthrow of his government on 11 April 2019 after a massive sit-in in front of the Sudanese Armed Forces main headquarters, after which the chiefs of staff decided to intervene and they ordered the arrest of President al-Bashir and declared a three-month state of emergency.[132][133][134] Over 100 people died on 3 June after security forces dispersed the sit-in using tear gas and live ammunition in what is known as the Khartoum massacre,[135] resulting in Sudan's suspension from the African Union.[136] Sudan's youth had been reported to be driving the protests.[137] The protests came to an end when the Forces for Freedom and Change (an alliance of groups organizing the protests) and Transitional Military Council (the ruling military government) signed the July 2019 Political Agreement and the August 2019 Draft Constitutional Declaration.[138][139]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudan#201 ... _of_Hamdok
By Patrickov
ckaihatsu wrote:At least 15 people shot dead in anti-coup protests in Sudan, medics say

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/mo ... 021-11-17/

10 anti-coup protesters shot dead in Sudan capital, say medics

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/17/africa/s ... index.html

If only we Hongkongers can be as brave as them.
By ckaihatsu
Patrickov wrote:
If only we Hongkongers can be as brave as them.

I don't think the situations are comparable.

In Sudan, and Myanmar, and Mali, and Burkina Faso, it's the *military* that's the problem -- and here, too, in the U.S., for that matter -- but that's not how things are in China, so it's not like the Hong Kong protest movement is *progressive* in any sense, especially since they haven't proposed anything better than what China does.
By Patrickov
ckaihatsu wrote:I don't think the situations are comparable.

In Sudan, and Myanmar, and Mali, and Burkina Faso, it's the *military* that's the problem -- and here, too, in the U.S., for that matter -- but that's not how things are in China, so it's not like the Hong Kong protest movement is *progressive* in any sense, especially since they haven't proposed anything better than what China does.

No that's not my point. And frankly that only shows you don't understand what we want.
In a less sympathetic way to put it, the likes of you naturally prefer the Chinese narrative, no matter how slight it is.

My point is that, Hongkongers value their lives too much to actually cause any impact.
China simply did not need to deploy PLA, not that they didn't want to.
By Patrickov
ckaihatsu wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_revolution

The problem is that there are people who actually find the Western way better. The countries who denounce this have no excuse.
By ckaihatsu
Patrickov wrote:
No that's not my point. And frankly that only shows you don't understand what we want.
In a less sympathetic way to put it, the likes of you naturally prefer the Chinese narrative, no matter how slight it is.

My point is that, Hongkongers value their lives too much to actually cause any impact.
China simply did not need to deploy PLA, not that they didn't want to.

Patrickov wrote:
The problem is that there are people who actually find the Western way better. The countries who denounce this have no excuse.

'Narrative' -- ?

You want *international relations* to be framed in terms of he-said-she-said -- ? Really?

And what the hell is the whole Hong Kong thing *about*, anyway -- ? It's not really politically-progressive *civil rights* -- it's just bourgeois *factionalism*, basically, so who else would really care about it if they're not themselves an aspiring Hong Konger -- ?
By Patrickov
ckaihatsu wrote:It's not really politically-progressive *civil rights* -- it's just bourgeois *factionalism*

It is the former!

You genuinely think CCP and the Carrie Lam Gang's depriving of one's choice other than pro-Beijing, as well as banning slogans which call for accountability for both the government and the police force is merely "bourgeois factionalism"?

Get real!
By ckaihatsu
Patrickov wrote:
It is the former!

You genuinely think CCP and the Carrie Lam Gang's depriving of one's choice other than pro-Beijing, as well as banning slogans which call for accountability for both the government and the police force is merely "bourgeois factionalism"?

Get real!

Okay, what is it *about* -- ?

Is it this -- ?

• Complete withdrawal of the extradition bill from the legislative process: Although the chief executive announced an indefinite suspension of the bill on 15 June, its status of "pending resumption of second reading" in the Legislative Council meant that its reading could have been resumed quickly. It was formally withdrawn on 23 October 2019.[49]

• Resignation of Carrie Lam and the implementation of universal suffrage for Legislative Council elections and for the election of the chief executive:[54] The chief executive is selected in a small-circle election, and 30 of the 70 legislative council seats are filled by representatives of institutionalised interest groups, forming the majority of the so-called functional constituencies, most of which have few electors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%8 ... rect_cause

I'm actually *astounded* at the profound lack of political *communication* coming out of the pro-Hong-Kong-whatever camp, which is then very suspicious.

I think *this* sums it up:

Anti-mainland sentiment had begun to swell in the 2010s.

'Anti-mainland sentiment'.
By Patrickov
ckaihatsu wrote:Please just admit that it's a color revolution.

Any of you who see colour revolution a bad thing is a dictatorship apologist.
By ckaihatsu
Patrickov wrote:
Any of you who see colour revolution a bad thing is a dictatorship apologist.

I don't mean to be rude, Patrickov, but I don't think you understand that global capitalism has no way-forward now. The U.S. Fed, for example, will be unable to further lower the interest rate (federal funds rate), while the financial system depends on that cheap government money, through the shadow banking system -- non-bank financial intermediaries (NBFIs).

Inflation will threaten to creep up, system-wide, as the government spigot slowly runs dry, while profits from actual commodity-*productive* production continue to be razor-thin, due to capitalism's inherent *overproduction* -- meaning low-pricing regimes and diminished rates of profit.

So you favor the merchant / financier section of the ruling class, over the bureaucratic section of the ruling class -- that's fine, but it's still *internal* to the global ruling class that continues to exploit wage labor and oppress social minorities.

The 'color revolutions' of the early 2000s were little more than fleeting political stage-productions, and *no one* references them these days because of how *superficial* they were. If you can't put it into words for people's consideration then it probably isn't really a political 'thing'.

Now, back to the topic of Sudan:

2018–19 Sudanese protests

After the 19 December 2018 Atbara protests started during the 2018–19 Sudanese protests, the SPA initially decided to coordinate with the protestors, by adding a call for an increased minimum wage. After discussing with the protestors, they decided to support the calls for "regime change".[2]

Following the 3 June 2019 Khartoum massacre, the SPA called for "complete civil disobedience and open political strike" on the grounds that the Transitional Military Council (TMC) was responsible for two days of mass murder, pillage, rape and violent repression of workers' strikes. The SPA described the TMC members as "deep to their knees in the blood of the innocent in Darfur, Nuba Mountains and Blue Nile, in addition to Khartoum and other cities and towns."[3] The SPA called for the Sudanese to follow the method of nonviolent resistance "in all [their] direct actions, towards change".[3]

In August 2019, the SPA announced that it would not take part in the cabinet of the transitional government but would instead participate in the Legislative Council in order to oversee the transition to democracy.[4][5]

SPA member Mohammed Hassan Osman al-Ta'ishi (or Mohamed El Taayshi) became one of the eleven members of the Sovereignty Council, the collective head of state of Sudan for a planned 39-month transitional period, on 20 August 2019.[6][7][8]

On 3 July 2020 it was announced that 5 affiliated organisations, Sudan Doctors (CCSD), the Sudanese Engineers Association (SEA), the Sudanese Human Resources Professionals Gathering (SHRPG), the Meteorological Professionals Gathering and the Sudanese Environmentalists Association, were suspended following internal conflict within the organisation[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudanese_ ... ssociation

I can't seem to upload an image

Maybe( I know this must be a strange thing for you[…]

Great german commentary: https://www.nachdenkseit[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]