India 'to build biggest Buddha' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in India.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.

India 'to build biggest Buddha'
The authorities in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh have confirmed plans to build the world's biggest statue of the Buddha.
The site will be the town of Kushinagar where Buddha died 25 centuries ago.

The bronze statue is planned to be more than 150m tall, double the height of the 8th Century Tang dynasty Buddha in south-west China.

The Kushinagar statue will be co-funded by the Uttar Pradesh government and a Japanese religious trust.

' World's biggest statue'

The statue will depict a future incarnation, the Maitreya Buddha, in a seated position.

It will be three times higher than the 46.5m (151-foot) Statue of Liberty.

Local officials say it will be the world's biggest statue and that a 17-storey temple building with huge prayer halls will be housed inside it.

However, in the United States, plans are underway to build a statue in Houston, Texas, called The Spirit of Houston, that would be even higher.

Kushinagar was the place that the Buddha chose for his Mahaparinirvana, or final exit from earth.

The town was then known as the capital of the Malla republic, one of the republican states of northern India during the 5th and 6th centuries BC.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/s ... 890513.stm

Published: 2004/07/13 16:24:42 GMT

© BBC MMIV
By Napuljun
This is such bad news. The money should go to the poor or to help the economy instead of building pathetic statues.
By Crazy Brown Guy
Napuljun wrote:This is such bad news. The money should go to the poor or to help the economy instead of building pathetic statues.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing then again Japs are spending the majority of the money.
By Garibaldi
Napuljun wrote:This is such bad news. The money should go to the poor or to help the economy instead of building pathetic statues.

Strangly... I concur. Why build a useless statue when the money could be used for tax breaks and such to improve the economy?
By Napuljun
Garibaldi wrote:
Strangly... I concur. Why build a useless statue when the money could be used for tax breaks and such to improve the economy?

Religion maybe has too much power over the government.
By Crazy Brown Guy
Napuljun wrote:Religion maybe has too much power over the government.

Religion is life for many Indians.
By gandhian
[Religion is life for many Indians.]

It is true, but they are not asking to build bigger statues of temples.
The need of the hour is money for the poor. To provide food, shelter and education. Why is Japan interested in supporting a statue there?

Although something like this can generate tourism, if the feral Biharis do not create too much commotion in their neighboring state.[/list][/quote]
By Napuljun
[quote="gandhian"]Why is Japan interested in supporting a statue there?

[quote]

Good question. Japan along with Sri Linka and India had lobbyed the Taliban not to destroy some historic Buddha statues in Afghanistan. Guess Buddhists have are in parlaments.
By Crazy Brown Guy
Napuljun wrote:
gandhian wrote:Why is Japan interested in supporting a statue there?

Good question. Japan along with Sri Linka and India had lobbyed the Taliban not to destroy some historic Buddha statues in Afghanistan. Guess Buddhists have are in parlaments.

Majority of the people in Japan and Sri Lanka are Buddhists. :D
By Napuljun
Jina wrote:
Napuljun wrote:Majority of the people in Japan and Sri Lanka are Buddhists. :D

Yes but should they care for a statue? Today secularism is widespread and religion and culture are being sperated. I think religion has too much power in the governing system.
By Crazy Brown Guy
Napuljun wrote:
Jina wrote:
Napuljun wrote:Majority of the people in Japan and Sri Lanka are Buddhists. :D

Yes but should they care for a statue? Today secularism is widespread and religion and culture are being sperated. I think religion has too much power in the governing system.

Buddhists in Lanka are really hardcore when it comes to their religion. Japanese, I am not sure about them and don't care, they got money their people are doing well they can build anything they or do what ever they want.

Well secularism is a good thing but not everyone likes it and that is a fact. Reason there is a war in Lanka is because of two different ethnic groups and both these groups are dominated by two different religions. For the first time in election Buddhist monks ran and won seats and that just makes the problem even worse, some experts believe that Lanka has the potential to become a religious theocracy like Iran. If it does a beautiful country like Lanka will be messed up even more then it is now. All in all religion in a country’s politics is a curse, every society have to battle it to remove it from politics.
By gandhian
Jina wrote:
Napuljun wrote:
gandhian wrote:Why is Japan interested in supporting a statue there?

Majority of the people in Japan and Sri Lanka are Buddhists. :D

Right, Japanese may have Buddhist majority, but what are they going to get by building a statue in India. Its a shame that so much importance is given to place of religious leaders birth and death rather than what they preached on.
What a waste....where's the soul of these people. Millions are starving and you want to build a massive structure when all you need is a small memorial to do the job.
By Crazy Brown Guy
Kushinagar is a "holy" place for all Buddhists so it is obvious why they wish to build a statue there. The thing is Buddhism preaches against materialism but these people defy their own religion by building this statue.

On other hand if every one follows their religion and do what it says we will have heaven on Earth, so since it is not going to happen we have to hope for the best. This statue can bring in some cash to the area and make the region a little bit better so everyone should welcome this and not make negative remarks about it.

PS: gandhian, where are you from?
By gandhian
Jina wrote:Kushinagar is a "holy" place for all Buddhists so it is obvious why they wish to build a statue there. The thing is Buddhism preaches against materialism but these people defy their own religion by building this statue.

On other hand if every one follows their religion and do what it says we will have heaven on Earth, so since it is not going to happen we have to hope for the best. This statue can bring in some cash to the area and make the region a little bit better so everyone should welcome this and not make negative remarks about it.

PS: gandhian, where are you from?

I am originally from Mumbai, India. In US for the past 8 years.

I don't see any positive in building statues. Only money it will make is during the construction and some later by selling replicas and other religious goods.
Now compare this to instead building an industry a continued source of income and innovation, or school to produce bright individuals.
People actually become more ignorant by believing that worshipping someone will make their lives better and this statue will only aid them more.
It they build a temple, they should build schools or ashrams or something that will also provide welfare to the poor. Building a mere temple is a waste of resources.
By Crazy Brown Guy
I agree with you, but something is always better then nothing.
By gandhian
Jina wrote:I agree with you, but something is always better then nothing.

But a country already engulfed with religious differences does not need more religion. It will just act as a fuel to fire and I wouldn't be surprised if I see someone in future fighting to save this place, like Ayodhya or Jerusalem.
And all that, not because it is the resting place of Buddha, but because it will house one of the landmarks for a major religion.
By gandhian
gandhian wrote:
Jina wrote:I agree with you, but something is always better then nothing.

By the way, where are you from?
By Crazy Brown Guy
It is human nature to obliterate each other, and religion is one of the reasons we use to do this. It is not the fault of the religion but it is the fault of the people who say they follow it even thou they really never act according to that religion. Ayodhya and Jerusalem are perfect examples of this. But most will not change their views over night so it is almost impossible to change their mind without using force. For the sake of freedom we must let them progress little by little and hopefully the future generations will learn.

I am from Sri Lanka, I am a Tamil and I live in Toronto, Canada.
By gandhian
Jina wrote:It is human nature to obliterate each other, and religion is one of the reasons we use to do this. It is not the fault of the religion but it is the fault of the people who say they follow it even thou they really never act according to that religion. Ayodhya and Jerusalem are perfect examples of this. But most will not change their views over night so it is almost impossible to change their mind without using force. For the sake of freedom we must let them progress little by little and hopefully the future generations will learn.

I am from Sri Lanka, I am a Tamil and I live in Toronto, Canada.

True, in today's world I have yet to see religion help people. Maybe it needs more patience than I have.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Putin's problem is that any serious peace proposa[…]

World War II Day by Day

Whatever you want to call it, Hitler’s plan was t[…]

Poland : " I'm sorry to say - we, Western wo[…]

What's your point? It proves they're not being […]