Parents 'struggling to feed children as prices rise' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in India.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
A year of record food prices has forced millions of parents in the developing world to cut back on food for their children, says aid agency Save the Children.

The agency surveyed families in India, Bangladesh, Peru, Pakistan and Nigeria.

One parent in six said their children were abandoning school to help out by working for food.

The agency said the price hikes had worsened child malnutrition and could hit progress reducing child deaths.

It warned that if no action was taken, half a billion children would be physically and mentally stunted over the next 15 years.

The survey was carried out in the five countries - where, Save the Children says, half the world's malnourished children live - by international polling agency Globescan.

It found nearly a quarter of a billion parents had cut back on food for the family in the past year. A third of parents surveyed said their children complained about not having enough to eat, the agency said.

One in six said their children were missing school in order to work to buy food, the agency revealed in its report A Life Free From Hunger: Tackling Child Malnutrition.

"The world has made dramatic progress in reducing child deaths, down from 12 to 7.6 million, but this momentum will stall if we fail to tackle malnutrition," said Save the Children chief executive Justin Forsyth.

The agency wants the UK to lead the way in reducing hunger and protecting children from food price rises - starting with a Hunger Summit when world leaders are in London for the Olympics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17034134

The unreported failure of market economics and its affect on the lives of those in the developing world. I can only imagine what the rest of the developing world is like (outside of those surveyed). It's pretty sad that India, which is supposed to be a "key" member of the BRIC can't even feed its people.
The problem isn't with the struggling to feed the children, so much as they need to stop MAKING the children.

They need to stop having so many children, when they can't support them.

India has a lot of problems, and most of them have to do with population and infrastructure.
Godstud wrote:The problem isn't with the struggling to feed the children, so much as they need to stop MAKING the children.

India has a lot of problems, and most of them have to do with population and infrastructure.

This is a good way to avoid the real problem, of course. The rate of population growth, after a quick Google search, actually seems to be going down http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=in&v=24
KurtFF8 wrote:This is a good way to avoid the real problem, of course. The rate of population growth, after a quick Google search, actually seems to be going down http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=in&v=24
This, as well as the fact that all the countries surveyed have fairly high inflation rates, which are pushing the cost of food and health higher than they might have been. The idea that it is because of too many children makes no sense, since we weren't talking about these hunger problems to such an extend back in 2008-09 in these countries.
Godstud wrote:The problem isn't with the struggling to feed the children, so much as they need to stop MAKING the children.

High fecundity in developing countries is a destitute expression of individual survival; infant and child mortality rates and childhood disease will mean that couples often have no choice but to err quantitatively when raising a family. Even if the governments of these countries were to massively distribute contraceptives, people would not use them.
How is this a failure in market economics? The Third World has a surplus population of unnecessary people who cause nothing but problems for others. Higher food prices should slow their population growth and if we're lucky even reduce their numbers. Sounds like a market success to me.
KurtFF8 wrote:What is the dominant mode of production in India?

Did you read my post at all?

This is only a failure if you have the mistaken impression that every human being is a precious little snowflake to be protected at all costs

India has hundreds of millions of bottom-feeders and would be far better off if they wasted away
Dave wrote:Did you read my post at all?

This is only a failure if you have the mistaken impression that every human being is a precious little snowflake to be protected at all costs

India has hundreds of millions of bottom-feeders and would be far better off if they wasted away

Well we could be faux pragmatists for a moment (as you are) and point out that such structural problems (like the inability to feed citizens) can lead to social unrest that can very well challenge the ruling order. E.g. the Naxalites.

Dave wrote:I've been drinking again

It shows
KurtFF8 wrote:Well we could be faux pragmatists for a moment (as you are) and point out that such structural problems (like the inability to feed citizens) can lead to social unrest that can very well challenge the ruling order. E.g. the Naxalites.

India's got a handle on it, they don't seriously threaten the state. But yes, your basic point is correct. This is why I favor sterilization over brutal measures likely to inspire revolt.

KurtFF8 wrote:It shows

8)
Dave wrote:India's got a handle on it, they don't seriously threaten the state. But yes, your basic point is correct. This is why I favor sterilization over brutal measures likely to inspire revolt.

Not a serous thread? You realize that there is a huge chunk of India controlled directly by Communist insurgents, right?
KurtFF8 wrote:Not a serous thread? You realize that there is a huge chunk of India controlled directly by Communist insurgents, right?

Yep, and they're not about to march on New Delhi. They hold sway over major portions of the shittiest parts of eastern India, big fucking deal. FARC still controls major portions of the Colombian interior but I don't think Bogota is terribly concerned unlike a decade ago.

India suffers more terrorist attacks than any other country in the world, has faced numerous insurgencies, has serious problems with malnutrition (e.g. this thread and poverty), and faces a crippling diversity problem.

Yet through it all the basic integrity of the state and its liberal democratic character is not threatened.

They've got it.
Arkady2009 wrote:Parents can't feed their children, but Republicans want to ban birth control which will lead to more children!

Look, for me it's a religious issue, and really should only apply to Catholics. But, the reason for that teaching is that Children are a gift from God himself, not punishment for sex. I think it should be up to the Hindus to pick their own poison for these things. I don't want to ban, things like this, but I personally resent the notion that a government can FORCE me to pay for these things -- against my will.

EU is not prepared on nuclear war, but Russia,[…]

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]