India rejects citizenship for Taslima Nasreen - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in India.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
First the Fatwa, then the guilty verdict, and now India turns their back on her, there isn't much that be can be done within the realms of the law, so hopefully it can be changed in time. I see no reason why she wouldn't be able to gain citizenship here, or at least temporary residence if she wanted, so not all hope is lost.

http://sify.com/news/othernews/fullstor ... d=13704398
By Comrade Ogilvy
India did not turn her back. India obeyed its own laws. For her to legally and fairly have citizenship, the Indian parliament would have to change the law.
By | I, CWAS |
India did not turn her back. India obeyed its own laws. For her to legally and fairly have citizenship, the Indian parliament would have to change the law

That's why I said I hope it can be change before her temporary residence expires. It would take a high profile person/reason/cause to get them to alter the law anyway, as it would here. They will of course be chary since they are the second most populated nation on the planet, and the last thing they need is a deluge of emigres.
By Maxim Litvinov
It would be diplomatically nasty, but surely if she applied for refugee status in India, there would be a case that she was in fear of persecution if the authorities found that her trial was unfair and her sentence was effectively persecution?

India would not have to change its laws to accept a refugee.

No surprises here, the democrats are making a grav[…]

Ad hominem. Ignored. Untrue and irrelevant. Ig[…]

New evidence of AI self-awareness?

A few days ago, I found a story, I believe on my M[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/5/6/text-of-th[…]