China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread - Page 96 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Godstud wrote:Yep. The virus doesn't give a fuck how "special" you are.

If recent Hong Kong cases are anything to go by, they do, but they actually go after "special" ones instead of poor commoners.

Over half of Hong Kong cases involve the more affluent parts of the city, although no government officials or super-rich moguls caught it so far.

--------

Back to Prince Charles catching the virus. The bigger concern would be if his parents caught it.
The Guardian has just released a compilation of tweets from people who are not happy that Prince Charles gets to be tested while many others don't.

Read it here.

To be fair, though, Prince Charles probably meets more people every day, that him contacting the virus is undoubtedly a bigger issue (affecting many more others) than commoners.
Ter wrote:Prince Charles is over 70 years old, so according to certain members of Pofo, it is OK for him to die.
After all, how many months would he have had to live anyway.
Right?
:excited:
:eh:
:lol:

Well he does have children and grandchildren to follow him... and no one can say he did not have good run. :) It would not be the end of the world.
Patrickov wrote:
If recent Hong Kong cases are anything to go by, they do, but they actually go after "special" ones instead of poor commoners.

Over half of Hong Kong cases involve the more affluent parts of the city, although no government officials or super-rich moguls caught it so far.

Same here.

The disease spread first in New Rochelle, which is a snobby suburb of NYC.

Because they get winter, they travel a lot, some will do business with foreigners, they get around.

NYC death rate is almost on the 3 day line.
:) I am fairly confident that normal politics will prevail over the China-19 virus. That means 2 things.

We will not agree what is going to happen before it happens. And that we will not agree what has happened after it has happened.

However that does not mean there won't be a significant level of political realignment as there was over 9/11 and Brexit. We may find that people who were us become them and people who were them become us.
Just got back from the grocery store. They really found their groove on how to do crowd control. Also, it looks like people are coming in at a more controlled pace as well. No crowds waiting in line anymore. I think people in Austin have adjusted well.

Are any of you getting a sweet sweet paycheck from the government? I'm not. That's ok though, not like I'm one of the people that have lost their job.
Rancid wrote:Just got back from the grocery store. They really found their groove on how to do crowd control. Also, it looks like people are coming in at a more controlled pace as well. No crowds waiting in line anymore. I think people in Austin have adjusted well.

Are any of you getting a sweet sweet paycheck from the government? I'm not. That's ok though, not like I'm one of the people that have lost their job.

Some of the big stores have set up times for seniors 60 yrs and up. For Walmart it is from 6 to 7 in the morning on Tuesdays and for Kroger from 7 to 8 in the morning Mon -Thurs.

I heard that the earliest anyone would get any money from the government is at least three weeks away. Congress has to finish their job, especially the Democrats in the House.
I heard that the earliest anyone would get any money from the government is at least three weeks away. Congress has to finish their job, especially the Democrats in the House.

Actually it is the republicans who are holding up the bill. You should turn on the TV and see. :roll:
I wouldn't call it "soaring" but Trump's approval rating is apparently up:

Presumably just more people rallying around leader in a crisis?

----------------------------

US Army will refit hotels, etc. with ICU beds.

---------------------------

FT has some good charts re time to doubling currently:

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:I wouldn't call it "soaring" but Trump's approval rating is apparently up:

My expectation is that, as long as the epidemic does not wreak havoc on states which "switched" to Trump in 2016, he will have a good chance of being re-elected.

If US presidency is decided by pure popular votes he would have been more attentive, but now it seems the three hardest-hit states are already staunchly progressive, so no actual harm to Trump's prospect because he isn't going to take those electoral votes anyways.

Unless he's as megalomaniac as wanting to sweep every electoral votes, but he doesn't look like one.

Summary in five words: He probably doesn't freaking care.

P.S. If the CDC map is anything to go by, we probably should worry about both ex-President Carter and Member Hindsite. Georgia seems in the 2nd tier in terms of being hit hard, even though the numbers seem centred on Atlanta.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:I wouldn't call it "soaring" but Trump's approval rating is apparently up:

----------------------------

US Army will refit hotels, etc. with ICU beds.

---------------------------

FT has some good charts re time to doubling currently:

This is old measures. Estonia had plans for this a month ago if things get out of hand.
COVID-19: U.S.
Total cases: 54,453
Total deaths: 737
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... in-us.html

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 38 million flu illnesses, 390,000 hospitalizations and 23,000 deaths from flu.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

so what's that like 30x the deaths, corona will have to get 10x worse before it even kills 1/3 as many as the flu.

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

we ought to have maintained a bit more 'racial hy[…]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]

It is also speculation to say these humanitarian w[…]