China's Wuhan shuts down transport as global alarm mounts over virus spread - Page 132 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15093273
colliric wrote:You both need to take a chill pill.

I agree with @Patrickov that Godstud trusts the CCP too much.

We all know this virus originated in Wuhan, Hubei probably at that wet market or in that Lab and that the CCP decided it was a good idea to repeat the SARS cover-up controversy again on an even bigger scale than last time.




It is likely that it came from a lab. Not certainly. But there is now a case of a worker in Holland contracting the disease from Mink. Mink are closely related to ferrets. Ferrets are the animal of choice for testing gain of function research on these bat viruses, as recorded in the last 20 years of research papers. Cats are also susceptible, being not too distance from ferrets, but not so much dogs, pigs, chickens, which are’t related.


Furthermore, another recent study shows how the virus was already fully adapted to humans when it emerged. SARS 1 had various off shoots, which is what is expected if natural evolution is at work.

But it is not yet beyond reasonable doubt that it is a lab escapee. Just much more likely, given the evidence, that being a natural virus.


Anyway, what I wanted to post was some good news. Dr Campbell reviews a recent Korean paper. It seems that this is not a retrovirus. That is a big relief. I don’t think most here would understand how bad it would have been if it had been a retro virus. Think air Bourne AIDS. Also, it seems immunity is acquired and maintained. So a vaccine might be possible.

I have been reading up in other viruses. Rose River Fever can take a year or more to recover from. This is not unusual for serious virus infections. This matches the stories of people experiencing a long and slow recovery from SARS 2. But likely no reactivating and antibodies do seem to be working.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uATMbGK__Tg
#15093274
Drlee wrote:The US response has been pathetic at the federal level. Economic support has been absurdly small and no accountability. The epidemiological response is a major embarrassment.

I'm not a Libertarian and I have repeatedly attacked American Conservatism, Constitutionalism and Founderism. But this approach is entirely consistent with Reaganism. Its also entirely consistent with Goldwaterism. Judged by policy rather than his twitter feed, its remarkable how in line with recent Republican orthodoxy Trump is. On trade Trump has shifted, but this is really a return to a Lincolnite trade policy. And it has to be said that Trumps, aggressive militarist rhetoric and contempt for the Constitution and the rule of law are eerily reminiscent of Lincoln and Sherman.
#15093291
Lab lies: U.S. continues disinformation campaign about Wuhan virus lab
As COVID-19 maintains its devastating spread throughout the world, it has found an unlikely ally: The United States government.

Case and fatality counts in the U.S. continue to rise—nearly 1.4 million infected and over 80,000 dead as of May 11—but rather than take stock of its disastrous response and chart a new course, the U.S. appears poised to double down on its cataclysmic policies by stoking acrimony toward countries that have successfully contained their own outbreaks. As is so often the case lately, the prime target is China.

More specifically the target is the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a Biosafety Level 4 lab working on the front lines of epidemic detection and prevention since its opening in 2015. It, along with other Chinese medical facilities, contributed to the sequencing and publication of the virus’s genetic code. This allowed the world to begin research into the vaccines and treatments that will save countless lives. Despite the essential role it has played in combating the outbreak, the institute’s work with bat coronaviruses has fallen under a great deal of scrutiny. This is because the natural reservoir of the novel coronavirus—and by extension, the origin of the COVID-19 pandemic—is almost assuredly bats.

An unfortunate coincidence—and one that has thrown fuel on the conspiratorial fire. Crackpot theories that used to be the exclusive domain of the fringe are now finding purchase in the mainstream. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has been at the fore of this disinformation offensive, implying on several occasions that the institute has something to hide. He has not, of course, provided any evidence to back these charges. Perhaps as a former director of the Central Intelligence Agency, he’s grown used to lying every time he opens his mouth.

To no one’s great surprise, this isn’t the first time the WIV has been used as a political football. Earlier in the year—when the outbreak was considered a “Chinese problem” and figures in the U.S. gleefully predicted the country’s demise—a wildly inflammatory claim was floated by prominent hawks like Arkansas Republican Sen. Tom Cotton and former White House strategist Steve Bannon.

With vague, insinuating language, they began “just asking questions” about the institute and its role in the spread of the virus. Few mainstream outlets took the bait, and scientists were quick to dismiss the idea COVID-19 was created in a lab. As even the most basic level of analysis reveals no signs of human tampering or modification, the prevailing opinion among scientists worldwide is the virus is zoonotic, or of natural origin.

But that didn’t stop the media-industrial complex in its ongoing efforts to shift culpability for the virus onto China. An alternative theory emerged, one which sounds more reasonable to the average person but has the same level of proof—that is to say, none whatsoever. Hence the hubbub over a supposed “lab leak.”

If Pompeo really had “enormous evidence” of a lab origin, as he declared in a recent interview, he would have released it already. Are we to believe Pompeo’s State Department, which has spewed endless vitriol at China, would just sit on a smoking gun? The same goes for the vaunted “intelligence community,” which has laundered baseless rumors through anonymous officials by telling reporters they have proof of X, Y, or Z transgression from China—again, without providing said proof or even a quote. Actual journalists would refuse to publish these obvious attempts at damage control, but that’s not who’s employed in the U.S. stenography service that calls itself the “free press.”

Through this diverse set of narratives, U.S. pundits and politicians are taking advantage of widespread panic, anger, and ignorance to deceive the public and deflect blame from their own country’s disastrous mishandling of the outbreak. Just as allegations of a “cover-up” ignored the inevitable challenges any country would experience dealing with a brand new virus, the plausibility of this alternative line of attack depends on a profound scientific illiteracy.

Few familiar with the stringent safety and security protocols of a BSL-4 lab would make this accusation with a straight face. Field researchers wear full protective gear and instantly freeze the samples they collect with nitrogen. Any samples that made it back to the lab would have an inactivated virus, not a cultured specimen that could infect staff. These practices were followed strictly, in keeping with all international standards.

What’s more, a “publish or perish” culture prevalent in world academia means the lab would have published its initial findings almost immediately, including the genetic sequence—as was done mere days after the novel coronavirus was identified. No such records exist; bat coronavirus specialist Shi Zhengli pored over the WIV’s data and found zero matches among samples collected for the institute’s work.

Some might argue, wrongly, that the word of Chinese scientists can’t be trusted. But they aren’t the only ones speaking out. Epidemiologist Jonna Mazet, disease ecologist Peter Daszak, and microbiologist Robert Garry were all quoted in a story for National Public Radio categorically denying the possibility of a lab-grown virus or accidental infection. Columbia University virologist Angela Rasmussen hit out at Washington Post reporter Josh Rogin on Twitter after his column dredging up an old State Department memo helped to mainstream the “leak” story.

This includes people with direct knowledge. Danielle Anderson, virologist at Singapore’s Duke-NUS Medical School, said this to educational non-profit Health Feedback: “I have worked in this exact laboratory at various times for the past two years. I can personally attest to the strict control and containment measures implemented while working there. The staff at WIV are incredibly competent, hardworking, and are excellent scientists with superb track records.”

I find it curious that the people ginning up this furor over the WIV are almost entirely journalists and politicians. I’m sure it’s purely by chance many of them have had an axe to grind over China for years. On the other hand, medical professionals, virologists, and epidemiologists—people with years of training and firsthand experience in outbreak control—have, for the most part, been refuting the lies peddled by the media and political classes. The trouble is they don’t have those groups’ platforms or prestige.

A culture that habitually rejects science for conspiracy-mongering and sensationalism—most notably in the proliferation of “vaccine skeptics” responsible for a resurgence of long-dormant diseases like measles—means corporate media outlets and the politicians they cover dominate the conversation. These forces march in lockstep when it comes to anything involving China, and even ostensibly “left-wing” figures jump aboard the bandwagon. They talk a big game about peace and international cooperation, but when the time comes to fight the rhetoric of a new Cold War, they’re as bloodthirsty as their rightist counterparts.

If we’re to have any hope of eradicating this pandemic, it’s going to take a group effort. Countries that beat back the virus have much to teach the rest of the world—but they can’t force anyone to learn. If the U.S. government is determined to continue on this path, stubbornly sticking to its guns as thousands die each day, then the least it can do is stop trying to take others with it.
https://www.peoplesworld.org/article/la ... virus-lab/
#15093298
Godstud wrote:213 countries with Covid-19 and USA is #31 when it comes to the worst place to be? How is that "good", unless you are demented and don't care about human lives?

It's good, because people aren't dying at high rates like they are in Belgium, home to the capitol of the European Union.

Godstud wrote:USA is #1 in most infections in a country.

I don't believe China's numbers. I think they have the most infections of any country. Collectively, the EU has a similar case load.

Godstud wrote:Are you also proud of that, or of the 93,439 death Americans from Covid-19?

A plurality of the deaths are concentrated among elderly people in nursing homes, because some blue state governors forced nursing homes to accept Wuhan coronavirus positive patients who were ill equipped to deal with them. Consequently, many elderly people died in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and a few other places. Also, locking people down in high rises doesn't help, because it can spread through ventilation systems. So we don't see big outbreaks in rural and suburban areas at the same levels as is happening in cities--another reason I simply do not believe Chinese statistics. It's better to deal in facts than in feelings, so I am dismissive of feelings of pride, shame, guilt, etc.

Godstud wrote:@Patrickov you are as willfully ignorant as @Hindsite, in that everything you don't want to believe, is fake news.

News about science is news. It's not science. When the news becomes filled with political operators, it's no longer trustworthy. So news about science becomes untrustworthy too.

Godstud wrote:If we don't agree with you, we're in league with CCP or Satan, or anything else stupid like that. :lol:

Well, you aren't in league with the facts. The outbreak has been far deadlier in Europe; yet, you are very upset about what's happening in the US in spite of the fact that you are not American, don't live in America and generally aren't personally affected by what happens in America anymore than other places in the world. So when you look at the EU, it's doing worse than the US, but you are not upset by this it seems. You are not calling out the leaders of Belgium, Italy, or Spain in any way, shape or form. It suggests you have a strong political bias along with your strange emotional fixation on the United States.

Godstud wrote:Feelings... :roll: Present some facts, instead.

I did just that, and you asked me about my feelings. Why don't you be a little more consistent?

Godstud wrote:China hasn't been a big topic of discussion until this pandemic came about.

Except in trying to call Trump stupid for imposing trade tariffs on China--only the biggest economic news story of the last 30 years...

Godstud wrote:I don't believe in Communism, @Hindsite, any more than I believe in a god the likes of which you worship.

You do believe in government-run health care like the UK's NHS, and are doing your level best to avoid acknowledging that European countries with a Beveridge model health system like the UK, France, Belgium, Italy and Spain all have higher death rates than the US. You also do not seem even the slightest bit upset about the response in the aforementioned countries, yet are once again peculiarly focused on the United States.
#15093304
blackjack21 wrote:
It's good, because people aren't dying at high rates like they are in Belgium, home to the capitol of the European Union.




It's terrible, for a number of reasons.

But first among them is that our response has been so feeble, and the blame for that resides almost entirely on the president...

Perhaps it's time to pay a little less attention to your handlers, and a little more to the pandemic guys.

"A second round of Covid-19 cases is "inevitable" come fall, the nation's top infectious disease doctor said, as people increasingly try to resume regular life and more states ease or lift their stay-at-home orders.
"I'm almost certain it will come back, because the virus is so transmissible and it's globally spread," said Dr. Anthony Fauci during an Economic Club of Washington webinar earlier this week.

"Often, not always ... often the second wave of a pandemic is worse," Poland said

"This thing's not going to stop until it infects 60 to 70 percent of people," said Mike Osterholm, the CIDRAP director, in an interview with CNN.
"The idea that this is going to be done soon defies microbiology."
Osterholm coauthored a CIDRAP report released Thursday that recommended the US prepare for a worst-case scenario that includes a second big wave of coronavirus infections in the fall and winter."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/02/health/coronavirus-second-wave-fall-season/index.html
#15093306
@blackjack21 Your argument is anti-intellectual. The NHS isn't the problem. The problem in the UK is what the government has done to combat Covid-19, not the medical system.

You can believe bullshit that China had more cases of Covid-19 than the USA, but that would be something not supported by any facts, and only American propaganda designed to downplay the damage of the virus in the USA. It's also handy to scapegoat China, to distract from America's terrible handling of the virus, from the top, down.

But hey, congratulations, @blackjack21. You're now a conspiracy theorist.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.
#15093318
late wrote:But first among them is that our response has been so feeble, and the blame for that resides almost entirely on the president...

It stands to reason then that a feeble American response is better than a strong European response. So I find myself unmoved.

late wrote:Perhaps it's time to pay a little less attention to your handlers, and a little more to the pandemic guys.

We have been listening to them. There's no risk; millions will die; we can't believe the models; don't wear masks, as they won't help and could hurt; masks are mandatory; don't shake hands with anyone ever again; it's okay to have sex with a stranger you met online; and so on. In fact, people have been listening to the pandemic guys, and many have concluded that they don't know what the fuck they're doing based on their statements.

late wrote:"Often, not always ... often the second wave of a pandemic is worse," Poland said

Perhaps there will be a much worse second wave. The purpose of a short-term economic shutdown was to prevent hospitals from overloading. Mission accomplished. We're not going to give up our standard of living based upon a bunch of fear mongering. We accept the risks life presents and take measures accordingly.

Godstud wrote:@blackjack21 Your argument is anti-intellectual. The NHS isn't the problem.

I didn't say the NHS was the problem. It's just not the solution to the coronavirus either.

Godstud wrote:You can believe bullshit that China had more cases of Covid-19 than the USA, but that would be something not supported by any facts, and only American propaganda designed to downplay the damage of the virus in the USA.

This is why people question your credibility. You believe China, with over 1B people concentrated in dense urban population centers has only 4634 deaths when it was the center of the outbreak? You're telling me that Belgium, with only 11M people (roughly 1% of China's population), has more than twice the deaths of China? My pointing this out is American propaganda to downplay the damage of the virus in the US? I'm not downplaying it at all. I'm just stating that it has been handled in the US better than it has been handled in the EU, and your bizarre obsession with the United States and with Donald Trump does not change that fact.

Godstud wrote:It's also handy to scapegoat China, to distract from America's terrible handling of the virus, from the top, down.

China spread this virus to the entire planet. They do have to own it.
#15093324
Rugoz wrote:The president is touting and taking a drug which is useless in this disease and dangerous to some people.

Trump's obviously more intelligent than he appears to be in public, however, he should hide his intelligence and only say things publicly his audience are glad to hear anyway, no matter how dumb they are, he won't push away any more people with it than he would without. I'm not saying he's a secret genius, he just has to fool people, or rather feed them with foolishness.
#15093363
colliric wrote:I'm not attacking you.... I'm deliberately misrepresenting and over simplifying your beliefs. Get it right. Lol.

And Hindsite is going really nuts this time. Getting to sound like Greta Thunberg the 70+ yo evangelical Zionist edition. You're making him worse. Lol.

Can't you both just agree to disagree?

I have already agreed to disagree with Godstud once, but he continues his nonsense anyway and attacks my character as a Christian. So I am not going to let his false statements stand, because others might be fooled in to believing him or just going along with his nonsense.
#15093380
A trial to see whether two anti-malarial drugs could prevent Covid-19 has begun in Brighton and Oxford.

Chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine or a placebo will be given to more than 40,000 healthcare workers from Europe, Africa, Asia and South America.

All the participants are staff who are in contact with Covid-19 patients.

US President Donald Trump was criticised this week after he said he had been taking hydroxychloroquine, despite warnings it might be unsafe.


Donald Trump has said he is actually taking hydroxychloroquine to ward off coronavirus. The World Health Organization stressed that no clinical trials have recommended the use of hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus. But the new clinical trial has begun in Brighton and Oxford, proving that Trump's hydroxychloroquine claims are not entirely bogus. The Italian Medicines Agency also expressed a favorable opinion on the off-label use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of COVID-19.

#15093400
ThirdTerm wrote:Donald Trump has said he is actually taking hydroxychloroquine to ward off coronavirus.

President Trump was believed to have been exposed to his military valet that tested positive for covid-19. Therefore he consulted the White House doctor and they both agreed for him to take Hydroxychloroquine and zinc for 14 days. As I understand it, he goes off of it tomorrow and has been doing fine. He is still testing negative for the covid-19. For me, I would rather take Hydroxychloroquine and zinc for 14 days, instead of being a new vaccine guinea pig. :lol:
#15093407
Hindsite wrote:
President Trump was believed to have been exposed to his military valet that tested positive for covid-19. Therefore he consulted the White House doctor and they both agreed for him to take Hydroxychloroquine and zinc for 14 days. As I understand it, he goes off of it tomorrow and has been doing fine. He is still testing negative for the covid-19. For me, I would rather take Hydroxychloroquine and zinc for 14 days, instead of being a new vaccine guinea pig. :lol:



Yes!!

Why take a drug tested to be safe and effective when you can take a drug that doesn't work and is a known killer.

Bucking Frilliant..
#15093415
Hindsite wrote:I have already agreed to disagree with Godstud once, but he continues his nonsense anyway and attacks my character as a Christian.
When every second post has a "Praise the Lord", "Hallelyah", or a Bible quotation next to it, you are placing your religious character out there to be criticized.

I can attack what you claim to be, since your claim isn't supported by what you say. It's like when people defend racism and then say racist things, but claim they aren't racist.

Stop pretending you're some Christian(while hating on the poor), and I'll stop criticizing these obviously false statements.

Back on topic.

Regarding Hydroxychloroquine:

"It may also be worth noting that there are over 40 side effects associated with hydroxychloroquine dosage. These include dry cough, hoarseness, fever, difficulty breathing and increased incidence of cardiac arrhythmia," said John Scott, chair of the department of pharmacology at the University of Washington School of Medicine.

The long list of common side effects of Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain or cramps, loss of appetite, weight loss, diarrhea, dizziness, spinning sensation, headache, ringing in your ears, nervousness, irritability, skin rash, itching or hair loss.

The Mayo Clinic urges patients to contact their doctor if they experience any serious side effects, such as muscle weakness, twitching, uncontrolled movement, loss of balance or coordination, blurred vision, light sensitivity, seeing halos around lights, pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior, or seizures.

The FDA explicitly warned consumers not to buy it from online pharmacies without a prescription from a health care professional.
"Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have not been shown to be safe and effective for treating or preventing COVID-19," the FDA warned. Both can cause abnormal heart rhythms and a dangerously rapid heart rate, the statement said.


https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 218956002/
#15093428
late wrote:Yes!!

Why take a drug tested to be safe and effective when you can take a drug that doesn't work and is a known killer.

Bucking Frilliant..

If Hydroxychloroquine was a know killer, you Trump haters should be happy that he is taking it. But you aren't because you actually know it is not a known killer.

@Godstud
Just because you don't like a Christian saying things you don't like such as quoting from the Holy Bible, or praising the Lord, or saying hallelu Yah does not give you a right to attach his Christian character. That is the kind of thing that the Pharisee did to Jesus for speaking the truth.

If Hydroxychloroquine is so bad then why did New York Governor order 70,000 doses of Hydroxychloroquine, 10,000 doses of Zithromax and 750,000 doses of Chloroquine to be used in hospitals? His brother Chris Cuomo even used the Chloroquine version after he tested positive for covid-19.

Andrew Cuomo: Use of Hydroxychloroquine ‘Anecdotally’ Positive in New York Hospitals
7 Apr 2020

At the briefing, the governor noted that the antimalarial drug had reportedly helped many people infected with the disease, but official scientific data was yet to come:

Cuomo stated:

There are a lot of people who are relying on this, who were relying on it. People with lupus, etc. The tests in the hospital, they won’t say that they are… they’re too short a period of time to get a scientific report. You know, hospital administrators, doctors, want to give… have a significant data set before they give a formal opinion. Anecdotally, you’ll get suggestions that it has been effective, but we don’t have any official data yet from a hospital, or a quote unquote study, which will take weeks if not months before you get an official study.

There has been anecdotal evidence that it is promising, that’s why we’re going ahead. Doctors have to prescribe, but there are some people who have pre-existing conditions where it doesn’t work, or they’re taking medication that’s not consistent with this treatment. But anecdotally its been positive.

“We’ll have a full test once they have a large enough sample and data set,” he stated.

The federal government had promised to increase the supply of the drug, which would allow New York to lift its 14-day limit on how much people could buy, according to the governor.

“We’ve allowed usage of the hydroxychloroquine with the Zithromax packs in hospitals at their discretion. The federal government is going to increase the supply to New York pharmacies,” he explained.

Monday, a Democrat state representative from Detroit, Michigan, credited the antimalarial drug and President Trump for saving her life during her recent battle with the coronavirus.

Rep. Karen Whitsett began taking hydroxychloroquine after her doctor prescribed it to her on March 31. She said relief came “less than two hours” after starting the treatment.

Whitsett noted that she was familiar with the drug because of her previous battle with Lyme disease and added that she would never have thought to ask for the drug if the president had not touted its benefits.

“It has a lot to do with the president … bringing it up. He is the only person who has the power to make it a priority,” she commented.

Sunday during a White House press briefing, President Trump defended his continued push for doctors to prescribe hydroxychloroquine to coronavirus patients despite criticism from the media.

“I’m trying to save lives,” he said, adding, “If it doesn’t work, it’s nothing lost by doing it. Nothing.”

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/0 ... hospitals/

Also see Cuomo Admits Hydroxychloroquine Works, Wants to Lift Restrictions
https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/h ... strictions
#15093429
Hindsite wrote:If Hydroxychloroquine was a know killer, you Trump haters should be happy that he is taking it.
:eh: ... or because you can really dislike someone without wishing they were dead.

If you plaster your faith over every one of your posts, and make posts that are contrary to said religion, then I am going to criticize it.

Hindsite wrote:That is the kind of thing that the Pharisee did to Jesus for speaking the truth.
You're about as far from Jesus as you can get. Jesus didn't call poor people lazy, or even imply that. You are only speaking the "truth" in so far as you believe. That doesn't mean that it's fact.

_____________________

Anecdotal evidence is poor evidence. It has also been disputed by some clinical trials. Thank you for posting information from 45 days ago, though.

My response to your post?
BOOOM!!

Hydroxychloroquine Fails to Help Coronavirus Patients in Largest Study of the Drug to Date
MAY 7, 2020 7:21 PM EDT
The study published Thursday is the largest to date to investigate the drug, which is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat malaria and certain autoimmune disorders, as a treatment for COVID-19. Dr. Neil Schluger, chief of the division of pulmonary, allergy and critical care medicine at Columbia, and his team studied more than 1,300 patients admitted to New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia University Irving Medical Center for COVID-19. Some received hydroxychloroquine on an off-label basis, a practice that allows doctors to prescribe a drug that has been approved for one disease to treat another — in this case, COVID-19. About 60% of the patients received hydroxychloroquine for about five days. They did not show any lower rate of needing ventilators or a lower risk of dying during the study period compared to people not getting the drug.

“We don’t think at this point, given the totality of evidence, that it is reasonable to routinely give this drug to patients,” says Schluger. “We don’t see the rationale for doing that.”While the study did not randomly assign people to receive the drug or placebo and compare their outcomes, the large number of patients involved suggests the findings are solid.

https://time.com/5833945/hydroxychloroq ... rus-study/

The only thing your post proves is that many people can be fooled by anecdotal evidence, and not to rely on it.
#15093432
Godstud wrote:If you plaster your faith over every one of your posts, and make posts that are contrary to said religion, then I am going to criticize it.

I don't. I stand up for my religion like Jesus did to the Pharisees, that you remind me of.

Godstud wrote:You're about as far from Jesus as you can get. Jesus didn't call poor people lazy, or even imply that. You are only speaking the "truth" in so far as you believe. That doesn't mean that it's fact.

You speak only your belief, not fact. I don't call poor people lazy unless they are lazy. That is just speaking the truth as I believe.

_____________________

Godstud wrote:Anecdotal evidence is poor evidence. It has also been disputed by some clinical trials. Thank you for posting information from 45 days ago, though.

Hydroxychloroquine Fails to Help Coronavirus Patients in Largest Study of the Drug to Date
MAY 7, 2020 7:21 PM EDT
The study published Thursday is the largest to date to investigate the drug, which is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat malaria and certain autoimmune disorders, as a treatment for COVID-19. Dr. Neil Schluger, chief of the division of pulmonary, allergy and critical care medicine at Columbia, and his team studied more than 1,300 patients admitted to New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia University Irving Medical Center for COVID-19. Some received hydroxychloroquine on an off-label basis, a practice that allows doctors to prescribe a drug that has been approved for one disease to treat another — in this case, COVID-19. About 60% of the patients received hydroxychloroquine for about five days. They did not show any lower rate of needing ventilators or a lower risk of dying during the study period compared to people not getting the drug.

“We don’t think at this point, given the totality of evidence, that it is reasonable to routinely give this drug to patients,” says Schluger. “We don’t see the rationale for doing that.”While the study did not randomly assign people to receive the drug or placebo and compare their outcomes, the large number of patients involved suggests the findings are solid.

https://time.com/5833945/hydroxychloroq ... rus-study/

The only thing your post proves is that many people can be fooled by anecdotal evidence, and not to rely on it.

That study only shows it has little effect on critically ill patients. No one has suggested hydroxychloroquine is a cure for those type patients. So you are like comparing apples and oranges.
  • 1
  • 130
  • 131
  • 132
  • 133
  • 134
  • 136

@Finfinder If you are not going to support you[…]

@wat0n Not according to the evidence I present[…]

@wat0n If the bodycam footage is public, it is[…]

AIn this case, some reports reflexively said the […]