Too Many White People - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Drlee
Another outrageous story.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/02/18/black-student-claims-too-many-white-people-at-center-this-is-a-space-for-people-of-color/23930026/

The clip begins with the student trying to get the attention of her peers before educating them about the building that they’re in.

“If y’all didn’t know, this is an MSC (multicultural student center), and frankly, there’s just too many white people in here,” she says. “And this is a space for people of color, so let’s be really cognizant of the space that you’re taking up because it does make some of us POCs (people of color) uncomfortable when we see too many white people in here.”

“[The center’s] only been open for four days, and frankly, there’s a whole university for a lot of y’all to be at,” she goes on to say. “And there’s very few spaces for us, so keep that in mind. Thank you.”

The clip then ends with applause.

Not only is this student borderline illiterate she is openly spouting racist propaganda. I will refrain from the obvious rhetorical question.

This student should be banned from the center. She should be put on probation for her racist comments.

Here is what she needs to learn. She needs to learn that often times people act in ways that are completely at odds with their own self interest. She had become a very useful pawn for the extreme right. She has damaged the "case" for black folks everywhere. She is the darling of the right wing media. And she has exposed for all to see the absurdity of spending taxpayer money on a "multi-cultural" center.

It goes like this. The University of Virginia appears to be unable to control racism on their campus. How do I know this? It would appear that they built a building with the express intent of furthering a "separate but equal" agenda. Certainly this "student" is fine with putting all of the "people of color" out of sight in their own building and ceding the rest of the campus to the white students. She says:

“[The center’s] only been open for four days, and frankly, there’s a whole university for a lot of y’all to be at,” she goes on to say. “And there’s very few spaces for us, so keep that in mind. Thank you.”

"Very few spaces for us", she says. Clearly the English department is off limits to this POC.

Can we please stop this shit and get on with getting along. Together. In the same "spaces". And for God's sake can we remember that "separate but equal" was exploded a long time ago.

But my hearty thanks to this young person. She gave the republicans a few million dollars of free propaganda.
By Wellsy
Must be some sorta middle class sickness this shit.

Edit: https://thecharnelhouse.org/2014/02/07/a-marxist-feminist-critique-of-intersectionality-theory/
For several pages, Fanon argues that black people must embrace blackness, and struggle on the basis of being black, in order to negate white supremacists social relations. But to stop there reproduces our one-sided existence and the forms of appearance of capitalism. Identity politics argues, “I am a black man,” or “I am a woman,” without filling out the other side of the contradiction “…and I am a human.” If the starting and ending point is one-sided, there is no possibility for abolishing racialized and gendered social relations. For supporters of identity politics (despite claiming otherwise), womanhood, a form of appearance within society, is reduced to a natural, static “identity.” Social relations such as “womanhood,” or simply gender, become static objects, or “institutions.” Society is therefore organized into individuals, or sociological groups with natural characteristics. Therefore, the only possibility for struggle under identity politics is based on equal distribution or individualism (I will discuss this further below). This is a bourgeois ideology in that it replicates the alienated individual invented and defended by bourgeois theorists and scientists (and materially enforced) since capitalism’s birth.
Last edited by Wellsy on 19 Feb 2020 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
By Rancid
Drlee wrote:But my hearty thanks to this young person. She gave the republicans a few million dollars of free propaganda.

Yea, basically this.

This must be the video in question but I cannot hear what she has said quite accurately. The new center is not for “people of color” and it is open to all members of the community. If there are some white students visiting the center, they must be liberal multiculturalists who need to be welcomed.
I feel offended and I am cringing at her speech. Why do people of color need designated spaces? If I want to sit in the front, middle or back of the bus...I can. The world is big and it is wonderful that colleges and universities allow people of all colors to enroll and attend if they meet certain qualifications. The campus belongs to all the students who attend. When I go to a restaurant, there is no designated Asian section or Black person section, it is only divided into non smoking and a smoking section, if the restaurant chooses to be that way.
I do not see what the problem is.

Or more correctly, I understand why you guys think it is a problem. And I also understand why it is not actually racism or a problem.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I do not see what the problem is.

Or more correctly, I understand why you guys think it is a problem. And I also understand why it is not actually racism or a problem.

:eh:

It’s a problem because people with that mindset are supposed to be young adults - the next crop of leaders - and they’re comporting themselves like toddlers.
Super embarrassing and cringeworthy..

On another note, the other day, I started an entire thread on black fishing (I didn’t end up posting it) because I couldn’t believe it was a thing. Like...ITS A THING!?
By late
MistyTiger wrote:
I feel offended and I am cringing at her speech. Why do people of color need designated spaces? If I want to sit in the front, middle or back of the bus...I can. The world is big and it is wonderful that colleges and universities allow people of all colors to enroll and attend if they meet certain qualifications. The campus belongs to all the students who attend. When I go to a restaurant, there is no designated Asian section or Black person section, it is only divided into non smoking and a smoking section, if the restaurant chooses to be that way.

The motivation is fear.

"I would instead like to begin by apologizing to each and every one of you. I am sorry.

Halfway into my first semester at UVa, I was called a N***** in front of peers at a white fraternity party. It took two semesters to see that very same word written across our university’s popular Beta Bridge, accompanying cartoon graffiti of a creature with an obscenely large penis. Semesters later, I’d come to terms with the lamentable truth that, more often than not, the university would fail to live up to its prodigious advertising campaigns.

College would not be the perfect racial and cultural melting pot that could prove my elders wrong in their steadfast anxiety toward prolific racial intermingling. Instead, my experiences at the University of Virginia taught me exactly where their deep-rooted interracial anxiety had originated.

By the middle of my college career, I’d experienced enough ignorance, microaggressions and social cruelty to never be surprised by a negative racial encounter again. When reflecting, I feel grateful that I was afforded the time to gradually cope with these issues, rather than being forced to acknowledge the harsh degree of racism in my new community all at once. I apologized earlier because I know that you will not have the same transitional grace period — not even a minute of it.

Instead of a smooth transition, you were engulfed all at once by the radical hatred that exists and thrives within our community. You have not yet stepped foot on the University of Virginia’s Grounds, but you have already been exposed to the ability of our “Community of Trust” to breach our most cherished values and replace them with unabashed depravity."

https://theundefeated.com/features/uva-grad-martese-r-johnson-to-incoming-class/
By Drlee
All of you who have been here for awhile know that I am the first to speak out against racism. I hate it and I believe it is, in all its forms, as close to evidence of ignorance and malice as one can find. SO.

I ask the author of the above (Matrice) to consider this. This is college. What exactly should we expect?

Should we not expect some people to behave in a childish manner? These kids are less than a decade from calling someone "poopy face" and waiving a power ranger at them. These are kids whose hormones are raging and who, generally, do not know what to do about that. They are, at the end of the day, largely the product of their parent's and grandparent's value system and have not learned how make thoughtful choices yet, many of them. Whether that is drawing a penis on a bridge or calling women "hoes" many will bring their immaturity to campus unfiltered by years of education and training even in the absence of wisdom which will come for many much much later.

But Matrice, every day of a person's life is an opportunity to grow and change our values. Values do not spring wholly developed from the envelope along with one's acceptance letter. But do you know what Matrice? Racism is rampant in American. If you think it is bad at UVA you haven't seen anything yet. At least at UVA some people of good will are trying to do something about it. Wait until you hit corporate America. Wait until you bump up agaist the local school board. Wait until you take your black self to a Trump rally. The frozen smiles and disingenuous handshakes will put you in shock. But hey. You will be interviewed by every right wing journalist there.

Matirce. You are worried about "microaggressions". Yeah. That's bad huh. :lol: Let me tell you this from one old white man to a young black man. Do you know why polls show that white people think America is more racist than black people do? It is because it is true and we know it. Nobody hides it from us. I have banned people from my house because they made a racist comment. I have refused to promote people who I have heard making the "white man's club" jokes about minorities or women. I vote for a political party lately that favors a more inclusive agenda. I like to think I am part of the solution. Your advice, if you were older and wiser Matrice would be to admonish the new students to seek out like minded people regardless of color and form alliances. Anger fosters weakness and inappropriate action as often as it feeds strength. Alliances are uplifting, affirming and powerful. When you are old and wise Matrice, you will know what Doctor King knew. That if there is going to be change there has to be lots and lots of people doing it. No man on a horse will work. Just lots and lots of people working together to suppress the object of their collective outrage. So when the new student sees a lot of white people in the multicultural center make sure there is a black person their to register them to vote and to offer to drive them to the polls.

There is no safe place for any of us in life and there never will be. I don't want there to be some artificial shelter on any campus. I want every black and white student to use their righteous indignation for change. And no war was ever won from a bunker.
By late
Drlee wrote:
All of you...

After the Civil War, the Army was sent to the South to stop the violence against, and murder of, Black people.

A political deal stopped that, and the violence resumed. Millions fled the South, afraid with damn good reason for their lives.

The Feds got involved again in the 50s and 60s.

Both times it took the Federal government to restrain the racists. That's the history.

If we are to keep Jim Crow from coming back in full, it will take federal involvement, more even than the Obama years.
Beren wrote:I wonder whether who the first one responding to Pod will be and if it will be a newbie or a veteran. :lol:

I doubt that I will get into a debate.

I come here primarily to learn, and I already have had this debate enough times that I doubt anyone will come up with something new.

I already know why people incorrectly think this woman is racist. I already know what complaints they will make, and what history they will ignore.

If someone presents a new and intelligent argument, I may address them.
large groups of white people make me uncomfortable too. Im always afraid someone will accuse someone else of racism, then another accuse him of racism back (or maybe sexism) and then a big brawl gonna break out. I have an inguinal hernia from doing too much ab work i cant fight like I used to
The right's obsession with campus culture wars is hilarious. Coffin dodgers might pretend that things were different "in their day", but universities have always been places where young adults are coming to terms with their place in the world, and they act in various dumb, over-the-top ways. It was true in the 60s, it was true in the 90s, it's true now, and it will be true as long as there are universities. Stop clutching your pearls about how "worrying" you find the behaviour of the "next crop of leaders." :lol:

Also, if you can find the time to condemn this random black UVA student's "racism" but remain eerily silent about actual, documented systemic racism in US society, I'd venture that "racism" isn't your primary concern. ;)
By Donna
lol what is wrong with white Americans. At Bernie Sanders' Colorado rally on Sunday a brawl broke out because a black guy was wearing a "Black Guns Matter" shirt and a fragile piss-baby took issue with it. You are the most advantaged demographic on the planet but it's never enough.
By Drlee
@Heisenberg Coffin dodgers might pretend that things were different "in their day",

Well that was surely a childish remark. Does your mom know you are playing on the computer again.

Have an adult read my posts to you so you can understand them.

Or maybe I am just collateral damage and you truly believe that I did not just attack racism on college campuses for just the reason you point out.

Young people are just as iconoclastic today as they were in my day. In fact, in my day there were no "multicultural" centers. And that is partially why things are just as bad today as they were then. We just hide it better today.
Heisenberg wrote:The right's obsession with campus culture wars is hilarious. Coffin dodgers might pretend that things were different "in their day", but universities have always been places where young adults are coming to terms with their place in the world, and they act in various dumb, over-the-top ways. It was true in the 60s, it was true in the 90s, it's true now, and it will be true as long as there are universities. Stop clutching your pearls about how "worrying" you find the behaviour of the "next crop of leaders." :lol:

Also, if you can find the time to condemn this random black UVA student's "racism" but remain eerily silent about actual, documented systemic racism in US society, I'd venture that "racism" isn't your primary concern. ;)

What is going on with one of my favorite too many white Welsh men on PoFo eh?

You gotta stop being so white Heisenberg....! Stop that whiteness in its tracks! One has to adopt an artificial identity that is about some generic shit that has nothing to do with Wales and beef pasties and Welsh language....got to be GENERIC whiteness my main man Heisenberg,

Do the Welshman rap!

Aqui....vamonos!

I am the man without a plan,

I got the ability to scan,

Looking for my truth,

In American diner booths,

Stealing my ideas for the brand new future,

I don't care my words of Welsh culture,

Has got you all gone vulture,

Death to those who don't like my whiteness,

because your hearts are filled with darkness.....

Yeah, Heisenberg, white boy gonna be the too much whiteness in the website....too much whiteness in this website....

GO WHITE BOY GO!

The crowd goes wild:

These are the real white people...too many white people!

Donna wrote:lol what is wrong with white Americans. At Bernie Sanders' Colorado rally on Sunday a brawl broke out because a black guy was wearing a "Black Guns Matter" shirt and a fragile piss-baby took issue with it. You are the most advantaged demographic on the planet but it's never enough.

Bar far and mostly nothing is wrong with white Americans. What is wrong with you (besides your ill-informed perceptions) whomever you are and where you are from.
By Donna
Finfinder wrote:Bar far and mostly nothing is wrong with white Americans. What is wrong with you (besides your ill-informed perceptions) whomever you are and where you are from.

:roll:

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]