The Wuhan virus—how are we doing? - Page 101 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
MadMonk wrote:The Chinese political class royally fucked this up in December of 2019 and January 2020. After that their response has been far superior to most other nations and considering their 'weight class', unlike smaller nations like Taiwan or New Zeeland, they've been playing another sport entirely compared to the US or Brazil or more recently India.

More correct to say the Hubei political class. Beijing, by all accounts, acted swiftly and competently when it was finally informed of the situation.
Three Wuhan lab researchers were hospitalized in November 2019: report
No evidence at all. It's pure speculation.

China Set to Record Its First Population Decline in Decades

Censuses in communist countries have always been politically sensitive, since they often speak to failed policies or hidden disasters. Chinese officials have already delayed the release of the 2020 data—and it may later be buried, either not released or not covered by the media.
The declining figures have nothing to do with COVID-19 deaths. For the coronavirus to make a scratch on the Chinese population, the official death toll—4,636—would need to be hundreds of times higher. Although researchers say the actual figure could be five to 10 times more, deaths on an exponentially higher scale would have shown up on social media or in mortality data. (Chinese censorship is strong, but it is not all-powerful, as the documentation of state abuses in Xinjiang has shown.)
LIES, @blackjack21. That's all it is is lies.
They've already determined that Covid-19 was not made in a lab. They did this almost a year ago and only fuckwits with no intelligence continue to wear the foil hats of stupidity and pursue this bullshit like the morons that they are.
blackjack21 wrote:China Set to Record Its First Population Decline in Decades

Consequently this was also pure speculation and the opposite of truth, it is estimated that China recorded population growth for 2020 at 0.39%, or +6 million: https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202104/1222404.shtml

We will get concrete figures when the 2021 census is completed later this year.
@Doug64 The Drlee effect is still valid after all these years. (For those of you who don't know, the Drlee effect is your grammar going to shit as you're trying to call someone else stupid)

:roll:

You can't have herd immunity and open borders.

Two answers:

1. Technically untrue on the face of it.

2. We do not have, nor is either party advocating open borders.

Your anger at Republicans--rarely failing to point out that you are one of the people you are so angry at--belies the point that Coronavirus didn't start in the US and its spread in places like India has nothing to do with Republicans.

Regardless of where it started its spread in the USA and India have everything to do with their own government's tepid (at best) response. The fact that both had right-wing governments during the worst of it may be lost on you.

Biden has already ensured we won't get to herd immunity with his tolerance for human trafficking.

Nonsense. You must be used to a very naive audience. Oh wait. You are. Republicans.

So it boils down to people making their own choices. I got Pfizer BioNTech, because I know how it works and it's about 97% effective. So if you got Pfizer, you really don't need to sweat wearing the mask.

I don't wear a mask to protect myself you dolt.

Knowing how mRNA works, you probably also know that the virus was likely modified in the Wuhan lab. Yet, you seem to be pretty silent on that matter, and never seem to express any anger at the Chinese Communist Party. Why is that?

Again two answers:

1. I really don't care where the virus originated. I care how we defeat it. We are doing poorly.

2. I am not convinced, nor is the rest of the scientific community convinced, that the virus did originate in a Chinese laboratory. You are free to believe that if it makes you feel superior.

Why does the Chinese Communist Party get to fuck over the entire world population and not face any backlash for their actions? I find that absolutely mystifying.

Perhaps you should find the evidence and present it to the world, establishing that they did deliberately "fuck over the entire world population" and see what happens. Most of us are still waiting. Wouldn't it be exciting if you could post it here first so we POFO folks could be on the cutting edge?
Godstud wrote:LIES, @blackjack21. That's all it is is lies.
They've already determined that Covid-19 was not made in a lab. They did this almost a year ago and only fuckwits with no intelligence continue to wear the foil hats of stupidity and pursue this bullshit like the morons that they are.

"They've"? That's your appeal to authority? Rand Paul asked some interesting questions to Dr. Fauci about gain-of-function research. It seems there is reason to believe that gain-of-function research may be the source of covid. Naturally, anyone involved in creating a virus that created a global pandemic killing millions of people is going to deny it. So I do not expect to get the "truth."

Igor Antunov wrote:Consequently this was also pure speculation and the opposite of truth, it is estimated that China recorded population growth for 2020 at 0.39%, or +6 million: https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202104/1222404.shtml

We will get concrete figures when the 2021 census is completed later this year.

I don't think Chinese statistics are particularly reliable.

Igor Antunov wrote:lol wsj just based an entire wuhan lab article now doing he rounds on a bad google translation, where three covid positive test samples in a lab became 3 lab workers positive with covid... i can't even be bothered anymore.

Fake news! The only thing I subscribe to now is Barron's, but I only read it every third week or so. I've cancelled cable, Fubo, Netflix, etc. I still have Amazon and YouTube, but I do not put much faith into the news either.

Drlee wrote:Regardless of where it started its spread in the USA and India have everything to do with their own government's tepid (at best) response. The fact that both had right-wing governments during the worst of it may be lost on you.

Well, we cannot dismiss where it started. The fact that it started in a country governed by a totalitarian communist party seems to be lost on almost everyone. That it spread throughout Europe, which has a mix of center, center left and center right governments suggests that it does not have anything to do with democratic systems as such.

Drlee wrote:Nonsense. You must be used to a very naive audience. Oh wait. You are. Republicans.

That would include you, would it not? Or are you no longer doing the political tranny thing anymore?

Drlee wrote:1. I really don't care where the virus originated. I care how we defeat it. We are doing poorly.

Who's we? I'm vaccinated and confident I'll survive this. Aren't you looking forward to idiots being eliminated from the gene pool? Or are you a fan of dysgenics? Thanks to Donald Trump pre-purchasing vaccines and allowing emergency use, America is among the most vaccinated country per absolute doses and per doses administered per 100 people in the industrialized world. According to CNN Health, the United States has administered 285,720,586 doses of vaccines. Now if by "we", you mean Sierra Leone, well yes they're fucked. But they were fucked before covid.
I haven't the time nor the crayons to spell it out for you @blackjack21.

Research shows COVID-19 was not manufactured in a lab
By The Associated Press
September 17, 2020
https://apnews.com/article/archive-fact ... 9391149002

Why misinformation about COVID-19’s origins keeps going viral
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... -check-cvd

I suppose if your only sources are Breitbart and Faux News, then you really are naive enough to believe anything, and likely buy the "made in a lab" nonsense uttered by complete morons(American propaganda).

Have you ever thought that the USA is the one making all the propaganda? Probably not. You aren't an intellectual by any stretch of the imagination. Your walls of text are empty, as usual.
Godstud wrote:I suppose if your only sources are Breitbart and Faux News, then you really are naive enough to believe anything, and likely buy the "made in a lab" nonsense uttered by complete morons(American propaganda).

I read an article about the "lab accident" hypothesis a few months ago in a "respectable newspaper". Bottom line: It cannot be ruled out and there are open questions about how, when and where the virus was transmitted to humans.
From what I understand, the lab hypothesis is incorrect.

Gene sequencing of Covid 19 shows that it is very close to natural strains of coronavirus, and does not have the chimeral aspects normally associated with artificial gene sequencing.
SARS-CoV-2's genome was unlikely to have been genetically engineered does not preclude the possibility that the virus escaped from a lab. It could have been a naturally occurring virus that jumped from lab animals to lab workers accidentally. The Wuhan facility could have been the original site of that leap. According to the Wall Street Journal, three employees of the Wuhan Institute of Virology sought hospital care in November 2019 with flu-like symptoms, citing a U.S. intelligence report. However, News Corp. from Australia acquired WSJ in 2007 and its credibility is now in question. The U.S. intelligence report could have been fabricated by minions of News Corp.

A Murdoch media exclusive about China covering up the origin of Covid-19 appears to be based on an unclassified US state department reference paper

Rupert Murdoch’s Sydney tabloid, the Daily Telegraph, went big with a Saturday morning splash and six pages of reporting attributed to “a dossier prepared by concerned western governments” – and the story was quickly amplified and exaggerated by Trump’s media backers in the United States.

It gathered steam in subsequent reporting as something even more weighty: the New York Post called it “a damning dossier leaked from the ‘Five Eyes’ intelligence alliance” while Fox News host Tucker Carlson asked why it was so hard for some people to accept “objectively that the evidence suggests [coronavirus] came from a lab” in Wuhan, China. Carlson’s program contained a graphic that claimed: “Dossier was compiled by intel agencies of the US, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand.”

But there was a problem: the document at the heart of the reporting did not contain any genuinely new information, it did not outline any direct evidence of the lab leakage theory, and it wasn’t culled from intelligence gathered by the Five Eyes network.

Instead, the material – now reported to have been authored by the US State Department – was a fairly straightforward timeline and summary of publicly available material. A source likened it to a “reading list” or “reference paper”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -bombshell
Last edited by ThirdTerm on 26 May 2021 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
ThirdTerm wrote:
SARS-CoV-2's genome was unlikely to have been genetically engineered does not preclude the possibility that the virus escaped from a lab. It could have been a naturally occurring virus that jumped from lab animals to lab workers accidentally. The Wuhan facility could have been the original site of that leap. According to the Wall Street Journal, three employees of the Wuhan Institute of Virology sought hospital care in November 2019 with flu-like symptoms, citing a U.S. intelligence report. However, News Corp. from Australia acquired WSJ in 2007 and its credibility is now in question. The U.S. intelligence report could have been fabricated by minions of News Corp.

My guess is the reporting is accurate, but what it means is not.

We just don't know. We used to have pretty good cooperation with China, but clearly that's not the way it is now.

It's pretty important to restore that, but I'm not sure how we go about doing it, after all that has happened.
Fasces wrote:Wasn't given a choice. I have Sinopharm, my partner has Sinovac.

Got my 1st dose. I requested Sinopharm but only Sinovac available.
See you on the other side, brother.
AFAIK wrote:Got my 1st dose. I requested Sinopharm but only Sinovac available.
See you on the other side, brother.

I'm hoping we'll have reciprocal recognition soon and I can make a quarantine-free trip to Kampot or Phnom Penh. Good luck!
Godstud wrote:I haven't the time nor the crayons to spell it out for you @blackjack21.

It seems that you do, and are infused with passion for the subject.

AP wrote:AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. Scientists say the molecular structure of SARS-CoV-2 rules out the possibility that the virus was created in a lab.

THE FACTS: A draft study associated with a group founded by former Trump adviser Steve Bannon is giving new life to social media claims that the coronavirus was manufactured intentionally in a Chinese lab.

That's the AP's assessment. Coronaviruses have been modified before. Here's an example from 2015: A SARS-like cluster of circulating bat coronaviruses shows potential for human emergence
Using the SARS-CoV reverse genetics system, we generated and characterized a chimeric virus expressing the spike of bat coronavirus SHC014 in a mouse-adapted SARS-CoV backbone.

(footnote omitted)

Evaluation of available SARS-based immune-therapeutic and prophylactic modalities revealed poor efficacy; both monoclonal antibody and vaccine approaches failed to neutralize and protect from infection with CoVs using the novel spike protein. On the basis of these findings, we synthetically re-derived an infectious full-length SHC014 recombinant virus and demonstrate robust viral replication both in vitro and in vivo. Our work suggests a potential risk of SARS-CoV re-emergence from viruses currently circulating in bat populations.

It seems they have been playing with these viruses for awhile.

Senator Paul has led the effort to cancel funding of any gain of function research in China.
Senate chamber cheers after Paul's amendment banning funding of gain-of-function research in China passes unanimously

Godstud wrote:I suppose if your only sources are Breitbart and Faux News, then you really are naive enough to believe anything, and likely buy the "made in a lab" nonsense uttered by complete morons(American propaganda).

The above quotes are from Nature.com. Notice some of the names pointing to Wuhan, China?

Xing-Yi Ge
Key Laboratory of Special Pathogens and Biosafety, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China

Zhengli-Li Shi
Key Laboratory of Special Pathogens and Biosafety, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China

Nature denies any ties too.

30 March 2020 Editors’ note, March 2020: We are aware that this article is being used as the basis for unverified theories that the novel coronavirus causing COVID-19 was engineered. There is no evidence that this is true; scientists believe that an animal is the most likely source of the coronavirus.

The reason some people think it was engineered is because of the Wuhan lab, which was working on coronaviruses; and, because a Chinese virologist claimed as much. So it could very well be that a non-engineered virus made the jump from animals to humans among the virologists who were obviously playing with exactly these bat coronaviruses at the Wuhan lab.

Godstud wrote:Have you ever thought that the USA is the one making all the propaganda? Probably not. You aren't an intellectual by any stretch of the imagination. Your walls of text are empty, as usual.

Chinese Virologist Claims China Created And Deliberately Unleashed Coronavirus
Yeah, it couldn't be because a Chinese virologist claimed that China created and deliberately spread the virus, and then promptly disappeared. That couldn't be the government of China suppressing troubling opinions of people in the know. Where is she? Perhaps they were experimenting with black holes and she fell into one. Right? I mean it's totally possible.

Pants-of-dog wrote:From what I understand, the lab hypothesis is incorrect.

That does not rule out a lab accident, where the virus made the jump from a bat population to a human population. Scientists depend on government funding. If they fuck up and cause a global pandemic that has killed 3.4M people world wide, naturally they are going to deny it. Who wants to admit to that?

ThirdTerm wrote:SARS-CoV-2's genome was unlikely to have been genetically engineered does not preclude the possibility that the virus escaped from a lab. It could have been a naturally occurring virus that jumped from lab animals to lab workers accidentally. The Wuhan facility could have been the original site of that leap. According to the Wall Street Journal, three employees of the Wuhan Institute of Virology sought hospital care in November 2019 with flu-like symptoms, citing a U.S. intelligence report. However, News Corp. from Australia acquired WSJ in 2007 and its credibility is now in question. The U.S. intelligence report could have been fabricated by minions of News Corp.

Yeah, but why would the transmission of a bat virus that's circulating in an area far from Wuhan break out in Wuhan?
Once we prove the virus was created by man then everyone will know Trump wasn't an incompetent fuckup and he will be president again. If we all believe strongly enough then we can prove that I'm not a moron who doubled down hard betting on a stupid horse.

Don't worry everyone. Soon I will be proven right. This will not change the actions of the previous administration, but it will provide a small and insignificant recontextualization that will make my embracing of a loud, orange idiot slightly less laughable.

As someone who truly believes with my heart and soul in an ideology that has demonstrably proven itself incapable and unwilling to protect Americans or improve their material conditions this is literally my only avenue for political action besides buying jerseys for NFL teams with racist names. Please, it's all I have, please give me this. Only through collective action can we honor the dead by absolving Trump of a small portion of the blame.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Once we prove the virus was created by man then everyone will know Trump wasn't an incompetent fuckup and he will be president again.
:roll: This ridiculous theory has already been disproven, scientifically. Only idiots and cultists give it credence.
It has not been disproven to my satisfaction. I have free speech and you have to listen to me because you have to free listen. If you don't listen to me then you're censoring me.

Also we need to discuss the last election and whether it was valid to get to the heart of this. Please engage with me, this is the only way I can conceive of participating in civics. There are no liberals I can shout at on Parler and I miss you.

@FiveofSwords You still haven't told us how yo[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]