The Wuhan virus—how are we doing? - Page 91 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Interesting how the states having such trouble getting their schools open are the Blue States--just goes to show how much influence the teachers' unions have, and how little those unions actually care about the children. Especially since Catholic schools have been showing everyone how it's done.

Also, Texas? For deaths per million, it's in the middle at 24 out of 52. For deaths last week, at 21 per million it's tied for 13th with Rhode Island, Michigan, and Delaware, but well below West Virginia (35); Iowa (33); California (32); New York (31); New Jersey, Massachusetts, & Kentucky (28). For the rate of decline, at -4 Texas is tied for 14th with Indiana, New Hampshire, & Alaska. That's twice California's decline of -2 (from 34), New Jersey stayed steady, and New York actually increased 3 (from 28). Massachusetts dropped by -9, though, but that brought it down from 37 while Texas's drop was from 23. So yeah compared to a number of states that are only gradually decreasing their lockdowns, Texas isn't doing badly.

And the MSM(D) continues to have the knives out for Florida Governor DeSantis, thanks to his success with keeping his state open. This time it's "60 Minutes" using deceptive editing to give the impression that he used the vaccine distribution with pay-to-play. Here's how the program edited the governor's statement to them:

Sharyn Alfonsi: Publix, as you know, donated $100,000 to your campaign, and then you rewarded them with the exclusive rights to distribute the vaccination in Palm Beach—

Ron DeSantis: So, first of all, that — what you’re saying is wrong. That’s—

Sharyn Alfonsi: How is that not pay-to-play?

Ron DeSantis: —that, that’s a fake narrative. I went, I met with the county mayor. I met with the administrator. I met with all the folks in Palm Beach County, and I said, “Here’s some of the options: we can do more drive-through sites, we can give more to hospitals, we can do the Publix. And they said, “We think that would be the easiest thing for our residents.”

Sharyn Alfonsi: The criticism is that it’s pay-to-play, governor.

Ron DeSantis: And it’s wrong. It’s wrong. It’s a fake narrative. I just disabused you of the narrative. And you don’t care about the facts. Because, obviously, I laid it out for you in a way that is irrefutable.

Sharyn Alfonsi: Well, I— I was just—

Ron DeSantis: And, so, it’s clearly not.

Sharyn Alfonsi: Isn’t there the nearest Publix —

Ron DeSantis: No, no, no. You’re wrong.

Sharyn Alfonsi: —30 miles away.

Ron DeSantis: You’re wrong. You’re wrong. Yes, sir?

Sharyn Alfonsi: That’s actually a fact.

And here it is with DeSantis' unedited reply:

Sharyn Alfonsi: Publix, as you know, donated $100,000 to your campaign, and then you rewarded them with the exclusive rights to distribute the vaccination in Palm Beach—

Ron DeSantis: So, first of all, that — what you’re saying is wrong. That’s—

Sharyn Alfonsi: How is that not pay-to-play?

Ron DeSantis: —that, that’s a fake narrative. So, first of all, when we did, the first pharmacies that had it were CVS and Walgreens. And they had a long-term care mission. So they were going to the long-term care facilities. They got the vaccine in the middle of December, they started going to the long-term care facilities the third week of December to do LTCs. So that was their mission. That was very important. And we trusted them to do that. As we got into January, we wanted to expand the distribution points. So yes, you had the counties, you had some drive through sites, you had hospitals that were doing a lot, but we wanted to get it into communities more. So we reached out to other retail pharmacies — Publix, Walmart — obviously CVS and Walgreens had to finish that mission. And we said, we’re going to use you as soon as you’re done with that. For Publix, they were the first one to raise their hand, say they were ready to go. And you know what, we did it on a trial basis. I had three counties. I actually showed up that weekend and talked to seniors across four different Publix. How was the experience? Is this good? Should you think this is a way to go? And it was 100% positive. So we expanded it, and then folks liked it.

And I can tell you, if you look at a place like Palm Beach County, they were kind of struggling at first in terms of the senior numbers.
    I went, I met with the county mayor. I met with the administrator. I met with all the folks in Palm Beach County, and I said, “Here’s some of the options: we can do more drive-through sites, we can give more to hospitals, we can do the Publix, we can do this.” They calculated that 90% of their seniors live within a mile and a half of a Publix. And they said, “We think that would be the easiest thing for our residents.” So, we did that, and what ended up happening was, you had 65 Publix in Palm Beach. Palm Beach is one of the biggest counties, one of the most elderly counties, we’ve done almost 75% of the seniors in Palm Beach, and the reason is because you have the strong retail footprint. So our way has been multifaceted. It has worked. And we’re also now very much expanding CVS and Walgreens, now that they’ve completed the long term care mission.

Sharyn Alfonsi: The criticism is that it’s pay-to-play, governor.

Ron DeSantis: And it’s wrong. It’s wrong. It’s a fake narrative. I just disabused you of the narrative. And you don’t care about the facts. Because, obviously, I laid it out for you in a way that is irrefutable.

Sharyn Alfonsi: Well, I— I was just—

Ron DeSantis: And, so, it’s clearly not.

Sharyn Alfonsi: Isn’t there the nearest Publix —

Ron DeSantis: No, no, no. You’re wrong.

Sharyn Alfonsi: —30 miles away.

Ron DeSantis: You’re wrong. You’re wrong. Yes, sir?

Sharyn Alfonsi: That’s actually a fact.

The Democrat in charge of Florida's emergency management, Jared Moskowitz, responded to 60 Minutes' accusation by re-upping his denial of the same accusation of month ago. And the Democratic mayor of Palm Beach County, Dave Kerner, has stated that 60 Minutes' "reporting" is not just based on bad information but intentionally false.
And yet again Doug believes that the deaths are nothing compared to his idiotic political narrative. Sigh.

Typical of Republicans and Trump supporters. They would rather you die than lose a few cents revenue.
Rancid wrote:Scheduled my shot! Doing the J&J.

Hopefully no blood clots come from this.

It's was a smear campaign to get AZ to fulfil their contracts Rancid. Apparently you have a significant greater chance of getting the same clot by going on an aeroplane given it was like 37 cases from 20 million vaccinations along with also finding the same clot in people who took the Monderna and Pfizer vaccines. It was also LOWER than chance. Which means it may even REDUCE clots. How is that for irony.
Drlee wrote:And yet again Doug believes that the deaths are nothing compared to his idiotic political narrative. Sigh.

No, I think like an economist. "One death is too many" makes a great sound bite, but it would be catastrophic if we actually put it into practice--such as banning private ownership of cars because we kill ~40,000 a year on our roads.

Besides, if states that don't have restrictions are doing as well as if not better than states that do, can we really say that the restrictions are helping all that much?

The US death rate kicked up 1 per million, but that might be because of Oklahoma--the state had it's rate of death shoot up 407 per million over the last week, but that was almost certainly a reclassification of previous deaths. Per the New York Times, over the past week that state's rolling seven-day average of deaths has plunged from 15 per day to zero.

An example of why the number of deaths matters more than the number of cases--Utah is fifth out of fifty-two for confirmed cases per million, and 47th out of fifty-two for deaths per million.

And Alabama, Colorado, Indiana and New Mexico have joined the ranks of states over 90% open for in-person schooling. That makes nineteen out of fifty states. Only California remains below 30% open, and only Hawaii and Oregon between 30-40%.
Doug64 wrote:An example of why the number of deaths matters more than the number of cases--Utah is fifth out of fifty-two for confirmed cases per million, and 47th out of fifty-two for deaths per million.

Let me guess an explanation for those numbers in Utah. Mormons don't smoke, so mormon seniors in Utah are going be healthier and especially have much healthier lungs than the rest of the country.

Look at all of those fools in the redneck states not getting their shots. Darwinism happening before our eyes (which many of them also don't believe in lol).
Doug64 wrote:No, I think like an economist. "One death is too many" makes a great sound bite, but it would be catastrophic if we actually put it into practice--such as banning private ownership of cars because we kill ~40,000 a year on our roads.

The fact that we allow ourselves to kill each other en masse in one stupid way does not mean that it is intelligent to kill each other en masse in some comparable way.

Besides, if states that don't have restrictions are doing as well as if not better than states that do, can we really say that the restrictions are helping all that much?

I do not think that is the case.

Here in Canada, that is definitely not the case. Here, those provinces that went for a full lockdown and zero cases had far less economic impact and deaths.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Look at all of those fools in the redneck states not getting their shots. Darwinism happening before our eyes (which many of them also don't believe in lol).

Darwin didn't write anything about vaccines or rednecks. He wrote about natural survival of species that adapt to their environment. Vaccinations and Lockdowns are not natural adaptations, they are unnatural human activities.

And if there's one thing more dangerous than not believing in Darwin - and that is...believing in things that aren't Darwinian at all, and then calling them "Darwin" so that you don't look like a clueless witch-burner.

"That witch needs to be burned to help our species adapt without magic."

Perhaps technology is the real witch?

ImageShe believes in magic! Burn her!
QatzelOk wrote:Darwin didn't write anything about vaccines or rednecks. He wrote about natural survival of species that adapt to their environment. Vaccinations and Lockdowns are not natural adaptations, they are unnatural human activities.

And if there's one thing more dangerous than not believing in Darwin - and that is...believing in things that aren't Darwinian at all, and then calling them "Darwin" so that you don't look like a clueless witch-burner.

"That witch needs to be burned to help our species adapt without magic."

Perhaps technology is the real witch?

ImageShe believes in magic! Burn her!

Technology is how humans adapt to their environment, @QatzelOk. Our technology is as 'natural' as beavers building a dam, or sheep eating sapling trees so the grassland they eat doesn't become a forest, which they can't eat. Of course, there is no guarantee that our adaptation will be a good adaptation, one which will be sustainable over the long term. We could, after all, 'adapt' ourselves into extinction. Which 90% of all species have done since life began more than three billion years ago....
QatzelOk wrote:Darwin didn't write anything about vaccines or rednecks. He wrote about natural survival of species that adapt to their environment. Vaccinations and Lockdowns are not natural adaptations, they are unnatural human activities.

Darwinism means those who can adapt will survive and procreate, while those unable to adapt will die. Vaccines and lockdowns are adaptations that prevent death. Those that refuse will have higher rates of death. Darwinism.

QatzelOk don't be a hypocrite and go to the hospital if you start having chest pains because of ewww technology.
Unthinking Majority wrote:
Darwinism means those who can adapt will survive and procreate, while those unable to adapt will die. Vaccines and lockdowns are adaptations that prevent death. Those that refuse will have higher rates of death. Darwinism.

QatzelOk don't be a hypocrite and go to the hospital if you start having chest pains because of ewww technology.

Darwin was talking about species.

You're way out of your depth.
Unthinking Majority wrote:
The members of a species who fail to adapt (morons who don't take vaccines) will die and not pass on their genes. It's a simple concept.

It is simple, it's just not Darwinian...
Scheduled my shot! Doing the J&J.

Hopefully no blood clots come from this.

You should be fine. The actual numbers from Europe show lower clot incidents in those vaccinated than in the general population. Sigh.

I am not going to even look at Doug's absurd numbers nor give credence to his unintelligent conclusions except to say that he is in line with his hero, Trump's ideas. And those of his murderous followers.

With proper restrictions, this plague would have been pretty much over long ago. But Republicans are more economist than humanist. Or Christian.

My wife asks people, "are you Jesus Christians or Republican Christians?"
And in Texas, over a month after the governor opened up the state the rate of deaths and hospitalizations continue to decline, the former faster than the latter. For the country as a whole, over the past week 28 states had their death rates drop, five held steady (including Alaska at 0), and 17 had their rates increase. That doesn’t exactly look like a “Fourth Wave” to me.

Unthinking Majority wrote:Let me guess an explanation for those numbers in Utah. Mormons don't smoke, so mormon seniors in Utah are going be healthier and especially have much healthier lungs than the rest of the country.

That could well be true, I haven’t seen any numbers for survival rates for Utah broken out by age or religion, much less age and religion. But my point is that if you just go by the number of cases Utah looks like a disaster, when it’s actually doing better than most and much better than some.

Look at all of those fools in the redneck states not getting their shots. Darwinism happening before our eyes (which many of them also don't believe in lol).

Or it could be a case of those states falling down on the job when it comes to distributing the vaccines they’ve received and letting people know they’re available—just because the states have received the vaccines doesn’t mean their citizens have.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Stupid people die more than smart people = natural selection.

Strictly speaking, only a species as a whole can adapt or evolve. The individual doesn't adapt to its environment, nor does it evolve; it just does what it's gonna do, what it was genetically programmed to do. If what it does (or doesn't do) gets it killed before it can reproduce, then that particular set of genes, that particular strategy for survival, is effectively discarded by the species.
@Potemkin, don't forget the part played by sheer dumb luck/acts of God. IIRC, entire species of plants went extinct with the dinosaurs because the asteroid hit after they'd already started germinating. Timing was everything.

@Drlee, yes, the numbers provided by the CDC and WHO, among others are so absurd. :roll:

And here's a shocker, CNN's chief medical correspondent, Sanjay Gupta, is actually willing to publicly admit that there's a real possibility that the Wuhan virus came from the Wuhan lab:

CNN's Sanjay Gupta: 'There's reason to suspect' coronavirus escaped Wuhan lab
Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN’s chief medical correspondent, said “there’s reason to suspect” the coronavirus escaped accidentally from a Chinese lab, supporting comments from former CDC Director Robert Redfield that critics have dismissed as a conspiracy theory.

Dr. Gupta, a neurosurgeon, recently interviewed Dr. Redfield for a CNN special in which the former Trump administration official said it was his personal opinion that “the most likely etiology of this pathogen in Wuhan was from a laboratory,” instead of a wet market as China has claimed.

Dr. Redfield‘s comments came after a World Health Organization investigation concluded in March that it was “extremely unlikely” the virus had leaked from Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Dr. Gupta, however, said Dr. Redfield‘s opinion was an “informed” one that could be supported “just from an Occam’s razor standpoint.”

“He’s an experienced virologist,” Dr. Gupta said on Mediaite’s “The Interview” podcast Thursday. “He was also head of the CDC at the time this was happening, which means that in addition to everything that we know, he had access to raw data and raw intelligence that was coming out of China.

“My point is that it’s a much more informed sort of thing for him to be saying than for anybody who may have expertise in virology, because he has a lot more knowledge and information that he has that maybe he can’t share, but is informing his opinion,” he said, adding, “It’s still an opinion.”

Dr. Gupta said he gave Dr. Redfield multiple opportunities during the March 26 interview to clarify his remarks, but that he “really was quite adamant that this was the origin of the virus.”

“I was not as shocked by what he said as the fact that he said it,” Dr. Gupta said. “There’s reason to suspect that this is the origin of the virus. It’s a big virology lab right in Wuhan that happened to be studying bat coronaviruses. Just from an Occam’s razor standpoint, finding the simplest explanation, it would make sense.”
The structure of the Covid virus closely resembles the very natural and completely evolved coronavirus found in the wild near Wuhan.

Now, lab designed viruses are usually chimerical, using pieces that are clearly pulled from wildly diverse sources.

The coronavirus has none of these diverse pieces.

I believe the current theory is that it passed from bats to another species to humans, and was then spread at the now infamous market.

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Only Zionists believe that bollocks and you lot ar[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]