The Wuhan virus—how are we doing? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Yes, and it's a stupid thing to misname it, and it's only done for political reasons. US media is stupid, though. I'll give you that.

Note: I have not heard it named Wuhan Virus on any media station, even Fox News, so I doubt the veracity of your claim.
Godstud wrote:Yes, and it's a stupid thing to misname it, and it's only done for political reasons. US media is stupid, though. I'll give you that.

Note: I have not heard it named Wuhan Virus on any media station, even Fox News, so I doubt the veracity of your claim.

China reports third death from Wuhan virus and new cases of the mystery illness in other cities
Jan 20, 2020

[b]Wuhan virus outbreak: Trump offers US help to China

Jan 28, 2020

Wuhan coronavirus whistleblower doctor dies as confirmed cases top 30,000
By James Griffiths, CNN
February 7, 2020

A Wuhan doctor who attempted to warn the public about a potential new coronavirus outbreak died on Friday from the infection, as the number of virus-related deaths continued to rise taking the total in China to more than 600.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/asia/wuh ... index.html

Tucker Carlson Slams Media For Labeling ‘Wuhan Virus’ As ‘Racist’ After Having Previously Used the Term
By Zachary Petrizzo Mar 11th, 2020

Fox News host Tucker Carlson aimed at rival cable networks Wednesday night for labeling coronavirus the “Wuhan virus,” and then weeks later billing that term as “racist” and “derogatory.”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/tucker-carl ... -the-term/
Youtube videos and Fox News pundits are not sources of any note. Tucker Carlson is a fucking retard. :lol:

It's only being used by those who want to politicize the virus, instead of deal with it as the worldwide problem that it is.
Godstud wrote:Youtube videos and Fox News pundits are not sources of any note. Tucker Carlson is a fucking retard. :lol:

It's only being used by those who want to politicize the virus, instead of deal with it as the worldwide problem that it is.

You did not look close enough for one of those references was from your favorite left-wing fake news sources, CNN.
Opinion pieces are not the news, and as I already said, it's simply an attempt to politicize the pandemic.
Godstud wrote:You misnaming the virus, to make it political, doesn't help your argument. It shows an inherent dishonesty and bias of your argument.

Just letting you know...

I’m using one of the names that the press came up with for the disease the CCP allowed out into the world, using the time-honored custom (among others) of naming it after its place of origin. Just because the WHO later came up with its own designation and the CCP’s “useful innocents” in the MSM(D) suddenly decided their previous actions were unconscionable is no reason to stop using it.

Hindsite wrote:The Wuhan Virus was what it was first called.

Godstud wrote:No. That's patently false.

January 22 Business Insider headline: Here are the symptoms of the deadly Wuhan coronavirus and when you should be worried

January 24 USA Today headline: Something far deadlier than the Wuhan coronavirus lurks near you, right here in America (That “something far deadlier” was the flu, BTW—that headline didn’t age well.)

January 25 Foreign Policy headline: The Wuhan Virus: How to Stay Safe (they later changed the title in the article, but the original usage still shows in the article URL and in the name that shows up on the browser tab).

January 29 Bloomberg headline: 10-Year-Old Boy Raises Fears Wuhan Virus Could Spread Undetected

January 30 NPR headline: Your Questions About Wuhan Coronavirus, Answered

CNN, February 18:

“A new Chinese coronavirus, a cousin of the SARS virus, has infected hundreds since the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December....

“It's not clear how deadly the Wuhan coronavirus (label used an additional seven times in the article) will be, but fatality rates are currently lower than both MERS and SARS. Experts stress that it will change as the outbreak develops.”
So yes, the MSM(D) was happy to use “Wuhan virus” when they weren’t using “Chinese virus” instead, before the CCP complained about it and they suddenly decided the usage was racist. Now what does show an inherent bias and politicization is PoD’s continual use of “Trump virus.”

Pants-of-dog wrote:Your own sources say that the number of deaths from the Trump virus is being undercounted. And while some cases are temporarily marked as resulting from the Trump virus (even though the cause pf death was something else) those were removed later.

And even if you take out al the deaths like this, plus all the ones that are questionable, it still reduces the number insignificantly. 30 out of a thousand cases is nothing. That is less than statistical error.

Now, what does your spreadsheet look like when you use confirmed flu deaths instead?

Do you honestly think that the examples given are all the times deaths have been falsely attributed to the Wuhan virus? I’m using the numbers provided by the CDC for average numbers of flu deaths, if you have a better source then provide the link.
If you can use the "Wuhan virus" politically, then others can use the "Trump virus", in much the same manner. I am sure that PoD is responding to that, @Doug64.

Covid-19 is the name of the virus. There is no need to politicize it, as it's a worldwide virus. Pointing fingers only serves political ends, and nothing else.
@Doug64

You are comparing confirmed deaths of the Trump virus to estimated flu deaths.

The latter will be much higher. If you look at confirmed flu deaths, they are less than half the estimated deaths. If you were to compare confirmed deaths for both flu and the Trump virus, you would have the effect of doubling the percentage of Trump virus deaths compared to flu deaths.

To be concise, your spreadsheet is misleading.
The epidemic first gained international attention in Wuhan so the "Wuhan Pneumonia Epidemic" can be seen as an objective term, just like Loch Ness Monster.

The CCP having a glass heart is not our fault, but apparently a significant number of people on PoFo see it the contrary.
Godstud wrote:If you can use the "Wuhan virus" politically, then others can use the "Trump virus", in much the same manner. I am sure that PoD is responding to that, @Doug64.

I’m just using one of the names it was first given, if others want to make it political that’s their choice. You should ask why they choose to politicize it.

Covid-19 is the name of the virus. There is no need to politicize it, as it's a worldwide virus. Pointing fingers only serves political ends, and nothing else.

“Chinese virus” and “Wuhan virus” are also names for it, the same way that lion is a name for panthera leo. In both cases, the common names came before the scientists chose to add their own, and in both cases the new names don’t invalidate the old ones.

@Pants-of-dog Like I said, if you know of someone with better numbers updated regularly provide a link. Until then, I’ll use the numbers I have.
@Doug64

Why are you using numbers that you know are misleading?

If you continue to use these numbers even after you know they are misleading, it is logical to assume that you are intentionally trying to mislead people, Is that the case?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Why are you using numbers that you know are misleading?

I don't think he actually thinks the numbers he use are misleading. He's just challenging you to provide a more accurate set of figures.

It's more like that sentence of his was misleading.
Godstud wrote:If you can use the "Wuhan virus" politically, then others can use the "Trump virus", in much the same manner. I am sure that PoD is responding to that, @Doug64.

I would rather call it a Kung Flu virus or a Chinese Virus. :lol:
@Pants-of-dog What Patrickov said, mostly. For both us and our leaders, we have to make decisions based on the best information available to us, and this is the best available. If you know of better then let us know.
Godstud wrote:The Yankee Virus seems to be doing quite well. Yanks are catching it in droves!

If you correct for the age profiles of the two parties, you will see that this virus kills substantially more Democrats than Republicans. Just look at West Virginia According to the pathetic fantasies of Liberals West Virginia is full of older, stupid, ignorant White Trump supporters. If Liberals knew anything at all West Virginians should be dying in droves. I wouldn't be surprised if even in West Virginian there's more Democrat voters dying than Republican voters.
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Doug64

I did let you know:

Use the confirmed flu death numbers.

Please provide the link.
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Doug64

What link?

A link to those numbers for confirmed flu deaths you keep talking about.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]