Covid antibodies fall significantly without exposure! - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15130554
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54696873

Another nail for those who endorse lockdowns. Seems for you to maintain your natural protection i.e antibodies, you need a degree of exposure to the virus or your body will just forget it was a problem to begin with. It reminds me of the old wives tale to not over clean your kItchen to protect yourself from allergies.

The point here is even if we vaccinate, without irradicating the virus completely, we will also need to keep it within society for it to be effective. Meaning all the hard work of protective the vulnerable has been delaying the inevitable because at some point they will have to take responsibility for their own safety anyway. Something many on here said should have been the strategy to begin with.
#15131334
The article actually claims antibodies fall rapidly after infection, which could mean it's possible to catch the virus multiple times.

I would say that supports the view of people who support lockdowns and other methods of preventing the spread of infection.
#15131337
snapdragon wrote:The article actually claims antibodies fall rapidly after infection, which could mean it's possible to catch the virus multiple times.

I would say that supports the view of people who support lockdowns and other methods of preventing the spread of infection.


No. It specifically says those who are exposed to the virus maintain their immunity. Read the article.

Besides, if there is no such thing as immunity from Covid19, then it remains in society indefinitely and unless you suggest lockdowns indefinitely, they cannot be the solution. And if they aren't the solution now, they weren't the solution six months ago. Or the solution going forward.

Wear your tinfoil hat. We see where you're at in two years time.
#15131426
snapdragon wrote:I would say that supports the view of people who support lockdowns and other methods of preventing the spread of infection.


Sort of, but I disagree.

To me, this news says that there is basically nothing we can really do to stop it. Full lock downs won't eradicate this. Isolating 7.x+ Billion people is an unachievable goal.

I say let her rip through the population. Eventually COVID-19 will not be a big deal, like many other diseases. Sounds harsh, but I'm all for just letting her rip at this point.
#15131433
Rancid wrote:I say let her rip through the population. Eventually COVID-19 will not be a big deal, like many other diseases. Sounds harsh, but I'm all for just letting her rip at this point.


I agree with the principle, but I think we should keep the preventive measures in place until there is a vaccine. That is totally different to supporting lockdowns I might add. At this point, the virus is so prevalent in Europe that limiting not preventing people getting the virus is the only way forward. And we also know who to shield to limit deaths as well. Wales, where Snapdragon is from, is having a lockdown called a "Firebreak" and it seems not to have had the desired affect according to Drakeford, so it doesn't seem to be going to be extending there. Why I hear you ask? Because there are other affects away from Covid that lockdowns hinder and he and everyone in Wales are seeing them. And Lockdowns didn't work last time either. So why repeat the practice? Einstein people! Apart from that we are usually on the same page on this Rancid.

EDIT: Also, I will add it seems that the Covid vaccines will need annual boosters. So that eliminates the idea of vaccinating everyone (boosters will only be given to the vulnerable) or the idea this is going away. So it is time to change course on something that is sustainable because we are going to have to live with this.
#15131490
B0ycey wrote:I agree with the principle, but I think we should keep the preventive measures in place until there is a vaccine. That is totally different to supporting lockdowns I might add.


Sorry, yes. I tend to say "let her rip" cause it's controversial; so it's fun to make such a statement. However, I do agree that we should continue with precautions at least until a vaccine is ready and getting distributed
#15131500
B0ycey wrote:Also, I will add it seems that the Covid vaccines will need annual boosters. So that eliminates the idea of vaccinating everyone (boosters will only be given to the vulnerable) or the idea this is going away. So it is time to change course on something that is sustainable because we are going to have to live with this.


Why? I get a flu shot every year (my employer pays it). I wouldn't mind getting one for Covid on top.
#15131507
Rancid wrote:That's the thing though, we will need to continue chasing COVID with new vaccines every year. Hence, it's not going away, just like the flu isn't going away.


Not sure about that. I don't think Covid mutates as easily. We don't know how effective vaccines will be. Also, a lack of antibodies doesn't mean no immunity, to my knowledge, just not one of a certain kind.

It's all very complicated. :D
#15131509
Rugoz wrote:
Not sure about that. I don't think Covid mutates as easily. We don't know how effective vaccines will be. Also, a lack of antibodies doesn't mean no immunity, to my knowledge, just not one of a certain kind.

It's all very complicated. :D


I hope you are right.

In the meantime.

LET HER RIP!
#15131522
A variant of the coronavirus that originated in Spain has spread across Europe and now accounts for most of the new cases reported in several countries in Europe, according to a new study by Hodcroft et al. (2020). Each variant of the coronavirus has its own genetic signature, meaning it can be traced back to the place it first emerged. The new variant of the disease, identified as 20A.EU1, was first observed in Spain in June at frequencies of above 40% since July. This variant has increased from very low values prior to 15th July to 40-70% in Switzerland, Ireland, and the United Kingdom in September. France’s 21 sequences have stemmed from at least four introductions: two cluster directly with Spanish sequences and one stems directly from a parent with Spanish sequences. The remaining introduction is genetically further from the diversity sampled in Spain, and may indicate an introduction from another country, possibly the United Kingdom or Switzerland. Most European countries reopened their borders to EU and Schengen Area countries on the 15th June and travellers to and from Spain are responsible for the second wave in Europe. National borders within the EU should have been closed in the summer to ward off the coronavirus.



Abstract
A variant of SARS-CoV-2 emerged in early summer 2020, presumably in Spain, and has since spread to multiple European countries. The variant was first observed in Spain in June and has been at frequencies above 40% since July. Outside of Spain, the frequency of this variant has increased from very low values prior to 15th July to 40-70% in Switzerland, Ireland, and the United Kingdom in September. It is also prevalent in Norway, Latvia, the Netherlands, and France. Little can be said about other European countries because few recent sequences are available. Sequences in this cluster (20A.EU1) differ from ancestral sequences at 6 or more positions, including the mutation A222V in the spike protein and A220V in the nucleoprotein. We show that this variant was exported from Spain to other European countries multiple times and that much of the diversity of this cluster in Spain is observed across Europe. It is currently unclear whether this variant is spreading because of a transmission advantage of the virus or whether high incidence in Spain followed by dissemination through tourists is sufficient to explain the rapid rise in multiple countries.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20219063v1
#15131539
Rugoz wrote:Not sure about that. I don't think Covid mutates as easily. We don't know how effective vaccines will be. Also, a lack of antibodies doesn't mean no immunity, to my knowledge, just not one of a certain kind.

It's all very complicated. :D


It is very complicated. There is a study showing that people with certain blood types suffer more than others. Another study is about how T cells can strengthen one's immunity. Like you will have more T cells if you have had the flu recently and that people over 30 have less T cells.
#15131574
I imagine this happens with antibodies for literally everything?

The media is trotting out the "muh case numbers" thing without any increase in deaths again. I wonder how many times they will get away with this?

Related: Canadian health official gives COVID update while wearing clown costume, feeding the "clown world" meme :lol:
Image

Again going in circles because of your lack of l[…]

Listen I have no issue people organizing themselv[…]

"It's like heaven on earth..." http[…]

I really don't get it. You have a failed presi[…]