Texas Six Week Abortion Law - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By B0ycey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58406496

It seems strange to me that the US have such polarised views on abortion. But six weeks means you have to basically have an abortion as soon as you have missed your period. That is in essence making abortion illegal. Although I suspect most people will just cross a state border anyway. Which means the law is pointless... or perhaps it is isn't. Clearly it is another political move. Republicans are mainly ProLife and Democrats ProChoice. And Texas is roughly 60/40 in favor of the new law. So what better way to stop Texas becoming a swing state than to bring Roe VS Wade to the forefront and making it clear to the majority which party is ProLife. :hmm:
You want to have women keep the babies but you want women to not get paid the same as men doing the same job? Lol. Republican logical thinking sucks. No preschool and daycare help and no real support systems but you are fighting for the family. Whatever.
For republicans this has nothing to do with babies just as their Second Amendment rhetoric has nothing to do with guns. It is entirely about building a minority party in racist states that is powerful enough to rule the country.

They have already succeeded. They will power through the next election. They will own the governorship in California shortly and use that state as a national billboard.

The democrats have lost this issue and will lose the mid terms for three reasons:

1. They are exceptionally weak and leaderless. The administration has failed to stiffen President Biden's spine and go straight after the major issues....Voting rights, Covid and minimum wage.

2. There is no organized opposition at all to Republican chicanery. Where are the protests? Where are the petitions? Can you even imagine during the Obama administration this standing for any time at all? The Democrats need to force legislation on abortion and make every republican in the congress vote on it. They won't.

3. (Sorry @Tainari88) Women are a very weak political group in the US. When Liz Cheney stood up for the Jan 6 and other issues, did women support her? Nope. Are we seeing millions of women in the streets over this? Nope. And we will not.

Women need to understand something and I say this with the voice of a stern uncle:

I am a white conservative Republican man. I already own the show. "I" own both houses of the government and the presidency. I own the SCOTUS. In much of America and most religious traditions I own the home. Even when my wife has her own income and a powerful job I still control what she does if not what she thinks. Think a kinder and gentler but no less in-charge American Taliban. You are going to be paid less, have less political power and generally little real voice in government until you take it ladies.

I have no sympathy for women in America. None. I am sympathetic to their issues at some level. I might even find it in my best interest to help them on some issues. BUT UNDERSTAND THIS LADIES. My grandmother was not allowed to vote when she was 21. Prompted by the ACTIONS of women seeking the vote, men GAVE women the vote. They did not take it. They had no mechanism to do that at the time other than making a cogent argument and withholding sex. Today women, if they work in a fairly organized way, can TAKE political power and drive the issues. They are NOT doing that in any meaningful way.

On a list of 10 most powerful women in America you see this:

10: Ellen Degeneris: A discredited talk show lesbian women under fire for abusing her staff.

9: Sheryl Sandberg COO of Facebook. Someone you have never heard of and playing ghost behind Mark Zuckerburg. She simply does not matter at all for women's rights. A mere token. Where is her voice?

7. Michelle Obama. Nice. I love her. Quiet as a church mouse on the issues. She could lead the charge. She is not leading the charge. She, after all, has her big piece of the pie.

5. Virginia Rometty. Chairman of IBM. Who? Anyone want to tell me where she is on the issues?

4. Nancy Pelosi. And we are all enjoying her silence and inability to lead the House of Representatives. Where is the voting rights legislation Nancy? Where is the challenge to these abortion bans? She has lost every single issue since taking charge again.

3. Melinda Gates. Really? A women who's major claim to fame is that she was married to a rich guy and likes to give away his money is number 3. I want to see those massive checks from your divorce settlement rolling into democratic coffers.

And Drum Roll Please:

1. Oprah Winfrey. Talk about do nothing. Where is she on the issues? Where are the huge checks? Where is the leadership? When is the last time you saw this black woman take to the air and unequivocally state that voter suppression is wrong and call out the politicians who are supporting it by name?

That is the state of women's rights in the US. It is nowhere. Women could not even get an equal rights amendment passed.

But that is OK ladies. We men have been running the show for millennia. We will keep doing it. Like the Taliban in Afghanistan we will give you the rights we feel you deserve. And when we want to have sex we will even listen politely and nod when you are complaining about real political issues. Be a dear and fetch my slippers honey.
As we speak, a women has a dead baby in her belly, in Texas.

She can't get an abortion, a Texas organisation that helps women with reproductive issues is trying to save her life. They should be able to get her to another state, before she dies.

But they have to arrange it, and that takes time.

This is barbaric, and that the Supreme Court would allow it is yet another demonstration of it's corruption.

We should either give Texas back to Mexico, or place it in some sort of receivership so we can require it to meet the basic standards a civilisation needs.
Drlee

Wasn't the right to vote a progressive movement in the USA? Didn't it start with land owners who paid property taxes? And women, who numbered amongst the tax payers, had the right to vote? Eventually all men could vote, and under the fullness of time women likewise were granted the vote. This suggests to me the vote was granted, at least in part, by the political party who campaigned to include these non voters.j

And women advertised their desire to vote, quite visably.

If women in Texas don't like this anti abortion issue refuse to shop at walmart. Or anywhere, full stop, including Amazon, Saturdays. Then do it. Promote the Democrats. Remind the men they're partnering they'll be on the hook for the unwanted child for freaking ever.
Last edited by Stormsmith on 02 Sep 2021 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
late wrote:This is barbaric, and that the Supreme Court would allow it is yet another demonstration of it's corruption.

Well the subject is subjective and basically runs down party lines, so a Republican majority Court was never going to stand in the way of this but they have at least left it open for appeal. However from my understanding the Texas law does allow abortions past 6 weeks if your life is in danger so your example doesn't make sense. Nonethelsss abortions will just take place outside statelines so if a mother really does want an abortion, sure it would be more effort, but the option remains for her anyway. Besides, this law is political and people should understand that.
B0ycey wrote:
Well the subject is subjective

and basically runs down party lines, so a Republican majority Court was never going to stand in the way of this

However from my understanding the Texas law does allow abortions past 6 weeks if your life is in danger so your example doesn't make sense.

Nonetheless, abortions will just take place outside statelines so if a mother really does want an abortion, sure it would be more effort, but the option remains for her anyway. Besides, this law is political and people should understand that.

When did science start being subjective?

Actually, this is new. Until now, the court would simply not allow anything this nasty.

Clinics are working their way through how they are going to deal with the new law. But you are basically right, this should be temporary, when the women's life is in danger.

In some areas, as many as 85% of women can't afford to go out of state for an abortion, they are quite poor. That organisation I mentioned has been helping them, but it's hard to say how things are going to play out with the new law.

Women will die as a result of this, this isn't simply a matter of politics. It's about cruelty, and how much cruelty we will allow to be inflicted.
Well an opinion is about as subjective as one thing can be @late. And whether abortion should be legal or not is an opinion. :roll:

Having said that, I do think that pregnant women are being used as a political football. That isn't right. And it certainly isn't right if the women's life is in danger.
B0ycey wrote:But six weeks means you have to basically have an abortion as soon as you have missed your period.

It's possible women who are sexually active may now start needing to get routine ultrasound checkups every 3 weeks.
B0ycey wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58406496

It seems strange to me that the US have such polarised views on abortion. But six weeks means you have to basically have an abortion as soon as you have missed your period. That is in essence making abortion illegal. Although I suspect most people will just cross a state border anyway. Which means the law is pointless... or perhaps it is isn't. Clearly it is another political move. Republicans are mainly ProLife and Democrats ProChoice. And Texas is roughly 60/40 in favor of the new law. So what better way to stop Texas becoming a swing state than to bring Roe VS Wade to the forefront and making it clear to the majority which party is ProLife. :hmm:

It will have an impact. Recall abortions are mostly done by lower class, uneducated, immigrants. I saw an estimate that say's this will affect about 85% of abortions. Only about 15% of people will have the means to go to another state.
Rancid wrote:It will have an impact. Recall abortions are mostly done by lower class, uneducated, immigrants. I saw an estimate that say's this will affect about 85% of abortions. Only about 15% of people will have the means to go to another state.

What is the cost of an abortion compared to interstate travel? I am assuming you guys pay for abortions right? But I don't know. You reckon 85% of abortions will be affected, I take your word for that. But if it does, it won't stop them from happening. They will just go under ground. :hmm:
B0ycey wrote:
What is the cost of an abortion compared to interstate travel? I am assuming you guys pay for abortions right? But I don't know. You reckon 85% of abortions will be affected, I take your word for that. But if it does, it won't stop them from happening. They will just go under ground. :hmm:

There are a lot of services funded by the federal, state, and not for profits that will often provide the abortion free of charge. This is how poor people are able to get abortions basically. I do not know the cost. Pro-life people will often try to limit how much money can be given for these services.

They have been somewhat unsuccessful at attacking the money, so that is why they are doing it this way now.
Rancid wrote:There are a lot of services funded by the federal, state, and not for profits that will often provide the abortion free of charge. This is how poor people are able to get abortions basically. I do not know the cost. Pro-life people will often try to limit how much money can be given for these services.

They have been somewhat unsuccessful at attacking the money, so that is why they are doing it this way now.

Man, Republicans are fuckwits. Like abortion isn't political anywhere else in the Western World and Republicans would rather force the poor to have large families so they can wave their bibles in the air in glee.
B0ycey wrote:
Man, Republicans are fuckwits. Like abortion isn't political anywhere else in the Western World and Republicans would rather force the poor to have large families so they can wave their bibles in the air in glee.

America is a fucking weird ass country. That's all I can say.

yes, republicans and the evangelicals they are tied to are fuckwits.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58424249

Wow. Biden is making a stand. He has asked government to see what they can do to help women in Texas. If anyone was in doubt that this was going to be political, you best think again. Perhaps it might deflect attention away from Afghanistan. I don't know. But the polarisation between Republican and Democrats hasn't gone away since Trump. The next battlefield. Roe VS Wade.
B0ycey wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58424249

Wow. Biden is making a stand. He has asked government to see what they can do to help women in Texas. If anyone was in doubt that this was going to be political, you best think again. Perhaps it might deflect attention away from Afghanistan. I don't know. But the polarisation between Republican and Democrats hasn't gone away since Trump. The next battlefield. Roe VS Wade.

Roe V Wade has always been a battlefield and hot political topic though. These things just ebb and flow.

I would say Abortion and Gun Control are the two original polarization topics in American politics. It's been this way for decades on those two topics. This particular issue is more of the same to me. Only difference is, it looks like conservatives have finally found a way to cement effective bans at the state level.
Rancid wrote:Roe V Wade has always been a battlefield and hot political topic though. These things just ebb and flow.

I would say Abortion and Gun Control are the two original polarization topics in American politics. It's been this way for decades on those two topics.

Well I agree they both have been political, but they are more a side issues in who people vote for. What you now have is a Democrat President going against a Republican SCOTUS and a Republican Governor. It is also during a time that Afghanistan is the main news. I suspect it is a deflection tactic to shoo up Democrat support. Or perhaps to gain a few swing voters in the Mid Term. But what it will also do is piss off Republicans and make them defend this policy with all their might. We haven't heard the last of this. And it certainly has nothing to do with abortions now.

It is possible but Zelensky refuses to talk... no[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]