Democrat voter feels 'cheated' by lack of opportunities after college: "Not the deal I made" - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
A woman, who considered herself a Democrat (party on Left) supporter, says she feels "cheated" by the Democratic Party.

Maranda Douglas said she had to move back in with her mom as costs rise and she struggles to find employment opportunities that fit her college education.

Douglas said her rent went up by $500 a month, so she had to move back in with her mother, along with her boyfriend and young son.

"It's really crippled us and puts at a disadvantage for trying to raise our family."

Despite President Biden (who was endorsed by the Democrat Party) touting job growth and a strong economy, Douglas feels discouraged with the lack of opportunities, saying jobs at Walmart and Instacart were "not the deal" she made when she decided to go to college.

Douglas said politicians do not keep their promises once they get into office.

"I hope that everyone takes the responsibility to educate themselves about how to vote. I'm not too sure if the Democratic Party is going to really be held accountable for what's going on by the people who do vote."

She explained that many voters will refuse to vote because of feeling "disgusted" with politicians in general.

"I'm an American. I went to university really excited about finding the way that I could contribute to society, that I can contribute to the economy. And I'm really proud of my degree and I'm looking for opportunities to serve. I kind of feel cheated," she said.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/florida-d ... -deal-made

Question: Did someone create an unrealistic impression for her what opportunities would await for her if only she got a college degree?
That's Fox trying to discourage Dems, if it wasn't sleazy, they wouldn't bother..

Most of the time Fox says Biden did too much for the little guy. Of course, they never saw a tax cut for the rich they didn't have an orgasm over.

Which is not to say this isn't a problem. But Republicans have no policy ideas. Their last platform, they pointed at Trump, and said 'whatever he says'.

The first step, there are several, would be to kill the insane Republican law that keeps college debt from being dealt with in bankruptcy court.
late wrote:The first step, there are several, would be to kill the insane Republican law that keeps college debt from being dealt with in bankruptcy court.

I think you are half right, but obviously we can't let this just be subject to the normal rules of bankruptcy, otherwise people would file bankruptcy right after getting their degree before having a job. In some other countries they have a means-tested policy of paying back the loan. The person will have to make payments based on how much they are earning, with a minimum repayment of something like 5% of their income.

The problem was simply bad law and overly simplistic thinking, not whether this policy was too far "Right" or too far "Left". Lawmakers didn't get creative and think outside the box to find a pragmatic solution.

Still, I am not sure this directly really addresses the issue. If there are many people who are finding their educational credentials not worth the "investment", then there is an underlying problem.
late wrote:Did you know there is a real world out there?

Do you?

If the debt is wiped out, give some thought to what will happen to the next generation of people who want to borrow money.
They could end up sore out of luck.

This debt relief will sabotage the entire premise on which the Student Loan program was based on.
Puffer Fish wrote:I think you are half right, but obviously we can't let this just be subject to the normal rules of bankruptcy, otherwise people would file bankruptcy right after getting their degree before having a job.

Why are you bending over and presenting your asshole to big banks that don't care about you? :eh:
Fasces wrote:I fail to see how allowing students to discharge private student debt in bankruptcy proceedings has any affect on US taxpayers... unless you're advocating for bank bailouts.

Are you advocating for bank bailouts?

Because Bluto thinks Banks are nice guys. That is why they charge you 24% interest on credit card debt and give you 1,5% on your savings deposits. :lol: :lol: because thay are all about justice.

Money money money money. That is all they care about. And Bluto is in love with money...he never heard of this song...by his hero Trumpster man.

:lol: :lol: :D
I wonder what this person took in college. Philosophy? Some useful trade?

All is hear "waaaah government look after me". The government should not be a proxy for your parents once you become an adult. If you spend your life being handed everything and entitled to everything then when you get out of school and it's time to become an independent adult you will not have the life skills to adapt, and you'll either have to learn quickly or become a dependent of someone once again, whether parents or government or spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend etc.

We live in tough economic times, inflation is not really the government's fault, sacrifices have to be made. Blaming someone else for your own problems is a way that some people protect their own ego from admitting fault.
late wrote:The first step, there are several, would be to kill the insane Republican law that keeps college debt from being dealt with in bankruptcy court.

That is a weird law if that exists.

Lesson #1: Don't sign bad contracts, especially if you're not sure you'll be able to live up to your end.

Lesson #2: Live within your means.
@Fasces

Do you think putting some risk on banks when making loans will help to resolve this issue? It sounds like it might. What is your opinion? I think banks lobbied to make student loans non-dischargeable in bankruptcy court so that they could have risk removed from themselves and transfer all that risk onto students who wanted the money to pay for education. What would be the tradeoffs for making student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy court? How can the U.S. ensure access to high-quality education and thus produce a well-educated workforce that will be good for the economy? Considering all the possible tradeoffs, what would be the optimal solution to this problem?
1. Reintroduce tracking in schools; make associate's degrees / trade certificates equivalent to college education. Get rid of the idea that everyone "needs" college.

2. Make student debt dischargeable in bankruptcy. Make federal loans usable only at public or community universities. Expand federal loans for non-collegiate education and training. Expand federal grants to identified high achievers and in subjects of need.

3. Make public state universities free or near free for in-state/local residents with strict regulatory caps on tuition.

4. Fundamental education funding reform - divorce it from property taxes entirely and distribute equally on basis of need.

5. Give federal government the ability to develop and institute a national curriculum with consistent standards to measure achievement nationally and divert resources to states and regions that are falling behind.

6. Expand and regulate the charter school industry alongside the public school system to provide alternatives for kids/families not suited or interested in traditional education. Ban religious education. This would be even more efficient if we do the China thing and encourage boarding schools.

7. Improve worker incomes and worker leisure time so people have the fucking time to stay at home and parent and educate their kids rather than depend on a resource-starved state provided teacher to do it for them. Stop expecting teachers to be parents without parental rights... stop expecting teachers to be social workers, psychologists, nutritionists, and so on while we're at it.

A lot of this shit is unworkable because the US is the world's most archaic government with a terrible constitution, pre-dating industrial public education.
Fasces wrote:You cannot discharge student loan debt in bankruptcy as a matter of US law. Banks take no risks in offering student loans, so they offer students a lot of loans for dumb degrees.

What do you mean the banks take no risks? What happens if a student just doesn't pay?

In the case of, say, a mortgage the bank can start a foreclosure process. But that's not an option for a student loan - there is no collateral to do something like this. That's why those loans can't be discharged.
wat0n wrote:What happens if a student just doesn't pay?

Court ordered wage garnishment, routine and repeated seizure of any assets, they keep your tax returns, they get your social security checks or any other welfare, and you suffer piss-poor credit for the entirety of your life are all things the US and state governments presently do.
Tainari88 wrote:Because Bluto thinks Banks are nice guys. That is why they charge you 24% interest on credit card debt and give you 1,5% on your savings deposits. :lol: :lol: because thay are all about justice.

Money money money money. That is all they care about. And Bluto is in love with money...he never heard of this song...by his hero Trumpster man.

:lol: :lol: :D

Look, you're a half-assed floozy. I get that. I'm not holding that against you, but work this out in your mind.

A student takes a tax payer (government) backed loan (they're all government backed today), the money is forwarded to the educational institution and the money is spent on salaries of professors, housing and buildings.

Since the money is ALREADY spent, who the hell do you you think is going to be left holding the bag? The bank is a pass-thru. Is this really THAT complicated for you? Are you denying this is what will happen?

Unless you are advocating clawing the money back from the schools, which I know GD well you aren't. You do still realize that 4 minus 2 is 2, correct?

I'm not sure WTF Trump has to do with this concept.
Fasces wrote:I fail to see how allowing students to discharge private student debt in bankruptcy proceedings has any affect on US taxpayers... unless you're advocating for bank bailouts.

Are you advocating for bank bailouts?

The bank doesn't hold the money. They forward it to the educational institution, since they're an arm of the government on student loans. The educational institution ALREADY has been paid.

Is this rocket surgery?
Fasces wrote:1. Reintroduce tracking in schools; make associate's degrees / trade certificates equivalent to college education. Get rid of the idea that everyone "needs" college.

2. Make student debt dischargeable in bankruptcy. Make federal loans usable only at public or community universities. Expand federal loans for non-collegiate education and training. Expand federal grants to identified high achievers and in subjects of need.

3. Make public state universities free or near free for in-state/local residents with strict regulatory caps on tuition.

4. Fundamental education funding reform - divorce it from property taxes entirely and distribute equally on basis of need.

5. Give federal government the ability to develop and institute a national curriculum with consistent standards to measure achievement nationally and divert resources to states and regions that are falling behind.

6. Expand and regulate the charter school industry alongside the public school system to provide alternatives for kids/families not suited or interested in traditional education. Ban religious education. This would be even more efficient if we do the China thing and encourage boarding schools.

7. Improve worker incomes and worker leisure time so people have the fucking time to stay at home and parent and educate their kids rather than depend on a resource-starved state provided teacher to do it for them. Stop expecting teachers to be parents without parental rights... stop expecting teachers to be social workers, psychologists, nutritionists, and so on while we're at it.

A lot of this shit is unworkable because the US is the world's most archaic government with a terrible constitution, pre-dating industrial public education.

Oh, fuck all this central-planning bullshit. This is what we have already with loose monetary policy of a central bank and you want more of it. :lol:
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@Rancid anyone who applauds and approves genocida[…]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be als[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]