Hello I'm new - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Please introduce yourself here.
By MissLaura
Hey. I just registered, so wanted to put myself out there and perhaps meet some like-minded individuals to debate cases, establish friendship, research projects, etc with.

My name is Laura. I'm 26, living in England, and just beginning my MSc in forensic psychology come October. I also have interests in forensic linguistics and forensic graphology that I hope to gain qualifications in sometime in the future.

I am currently working on a new project/research that some of you might be interested in helping me with. I am looking in to the history, the who, why, when, what, etc of acid attacks across the globe, with particular focus on their increase in western cultures and the psychology behind that.

I am also looking into ideas and options for UK prison reform, and hope to advocate for change when it comes to the convicted warehouse machine that the justice system has become.

I am also an avid lover of books, podcasts, and cats.
By Decky
Hello, I hope you enjoy it here.

Beer or cider?
Corbyn or Blair?
Trotsky or Stalin?
By noemon
Hello Laura, nice to meet you.

So who/what do you vote for?
By fuser
Welcome Aboard.

MissLaura wrote:I am also looking into ideas and options for UK prison reform

That's easy. Make Australia Communist. :excited:
By One Degree
Welcome. Do you have a theory on the acid attacks? Appears to be simply copycat to me. :?:
Decky wrote:Hello, I hope you enjoy it here.

Beer or cider?
Corbyn or Blair?
Trotsky or Stalin?
Hello, and thank you.

Neither. I don't drink.
If left with no choice, probably corbyn. He's a bit of a wet blanket, but he could be shaped by those around him to best serve the country. Blair caused too many issues in my opinion, and as for May.. well, I'm not a fan.
Trotsky.
You?
noemon wrote:Hello Laura, nice to meet you.

So who/what do you vote for?
Likewise.

I can't say I vote for one specific person. It's more about what they bring to the table in terms of legislation, reform, aid, etc.

As of late, I have been particularly involved in the reading of plans related to renewable energy, environmental cleansing of garbage, and concerns for animal welfare in and out of conservations and the wild. I also believe in prison reform for minor criminals - drugs, youth offenders, blue collar crime - they should not be warehoused for monetary gains of the powerful. It should be about reforming and preventing reoffending. We are too quick to punish without asking why it happens in the first place. I believe stronger sentences should be in place for both male and female abusers of children, without lesser punishment for women. I believe acid attacks should be on par with attempted murder in terms of life sentencing. You may not actually kill them, but their physical state, their emotional state.. their confidence, self esteem, their old life.. you might as well have if you hurt someone in that way. I believe animal abuse laws need adjusting and a register made of those who have hurt animals in the past to prevent reoffending.
I believe in ecological change. I believe in the NHS and the trains belonging to the people. That's just some of them. I could go on but I'll spare you from the boredom of my rambles.

What about you?
One Degree wrote:Welcome. Do you have a theory on the acid attacks? Appears to be simply copycat to me. :?:
Well from what I've looked at so far, it used to be more commonplace in Victorian Britain instead of the shame of divorce, or the humiliation of being cheated on. It was often mistresses and wives throwing it at one another from what I can see. It is also common punishment in cultures who hold family honour at high regard - case and point, a girl who just looked at a boy riding past on a motorcycle was maimed by her family. They claimed she had shamed them.
In modern society though, it is the ease of accessibility. Guns and knives are being clamped down on by law enforcement. Acid can be purchased in any supermarket or hardware store. Nobody thinks twice about clear liquid in a sports bottle. It's easy, it's quick, and it's invisible.
That's my opinion so far anyway. I'm still working on it, so that may change if and when more evidence comes to light.
By Decky
You?

Beer in the winter, cider in the summer.
Corbyn of course; he will reunite Ireland and finish the Tory party once and for all.
Stalin, always Stalin.

Decky wrote:
Beer in the winter, cider in the summer.
Corbyn of course; he will reunite Ireland and finish the Tory party once and for all.
Stalin, always Stalin.

Seems like quite a good idea having seasonal beverages. But, what about autumn and spring? Combination of the two? A dash of blackcurrant? I believe that is called a snakebite, but don't quote me on that. I'm more of a black coffee, strong tea kind of woman :)
By Decky
Yep half beer, half cider with a little blackcurrant would be a snakebite. :)
By Rancid
Welcome,

I need you to know that the US is superior to the UK in very single imaginable way.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Two things can be true at once: Russia doesn't ha[…]

Thank goodness saner heads and science is prevaili[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving b[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]