Hello From The Ancient City... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Please introduce yourself here.
#15008595
My name's Steve. I live in Saint Augustine, Florida (America's oldest city).

I'm retired Navy, own my own photography-based business, and write and shoot for a couple of periodicals and shoot for a few different national companies.

Socially liberal, fiscally conservative, CWP holder and frustrated rock star...
#15008599
Hello Big Steve and welcome to the forum.

I am into photography as well as a hobby.

Enjoy the forum and when you get some time change your avatar to Black and White please as it is part of our tradition here.
#15008658
MistyTiger wrote:Welcome Steve.

Photos and music, great combo! What sort of photography is your specialty? Fave music artists?


I worked in the music industry after retiring from the Navy, working for a guitar company in California. I did some artist relations, so I got to know a lot of artists with whom I'm still friends today. So, it would be difficult to pick a "favorite". As far as the most fun I have shooting a show? That's easy: Barenaked Ladies. I've known those guys for years and their shows are a blast to shoot. Worst to shoot? Steve Miller. He just stands there with his guitar.

I do a lot of different types of photography, from concert photography to product photography to portraits. Concert photography is probably my favorite, although I don't do as much of it as I used to. Most of the time we get to shoot three songs and then we have to get out of the photo pit. Some bands; people I've become friends with over the years, allow me to shoot their entire shows and give me unfettered access, so that makes it a bit nicer. I also shoot auto and motorcycle racing. professional and amateur sports... pretty much anything that doesn't have the word "wedding" attached to it...
#15008662
BigSteve wrote:My name's Steve. I live in Saint Augustine, Florida (America's oldest city).

I'm retired Navy, own my own photography-based business, and write and shoot for a couple of periodicals and shoot for a few different national companies.

Socially liberal, fiscally conservative, CWP holder and frustrated rock star...


Welcome to the meat grinder.

What is your opinion on the gentle father of nations?
#15008665
BigSteve wrote:I worked in the music industry after retiring from the Navy, working for a guitar company in California. I did some artist relations, so I got to know a lot of artists with whom I'm still friends today. So, it would be difficult to pick a "favorite". As far as the most fun I have shooting a show? That's easy: Barenaked Ladies. I've known those guys for years and their shows are a blast to shoot. Worst to shoot? Steve Miller. He just stands there with his guitar.

I do a lot of different types of photography, from concert photography to product photography to portraits. Concert photography is probably my favorite, although I don't do as much of it as I used to. Most of the time we get to shoot three songs and then we have to get out of the photo pit. Some bands; people I've become friends with over the years, allow me to shoot their entire shows and give me unfettered access, so that makes it a bit nicer. I also shoot auto and motorcycle racing. professional and amateur sports... pretty much anything that doesn't have the word "wedding" attached to it...


Wow, what a blast! I like the Barenaked Ladies. Their songs are funny and seems like they don't take themselves too seriously. Did you ever work with The All American Rejects?

Haha, do not blame you for avoiding wedding photography, bridezillas and groomzillas exist! :eek:

Concert photography can be thrilling, I'm sure. It is great to see the artists who really know how to perform. Sports photography, another great area!

Which is your preferred camera brand? Nikon and Canon are both very good. I grew up liking Nikon.
#15008709
MistyTiger wrote:Wow, what a blast! I like the Barenaked Ladies. Their songs are funny and seems like they don't take themselves too seriously. Did you ever work with The All American Rejects?


I haven't, no...

Which is your preferred camera brand? Nikon and Canon are both very good. I grew up liking Nikon.


I'm a Canon guy. Have been since the 70's.

But "Canon/Nikon" is akin to "Ford/Chevy". Both are fine systems. I'm toying with the idea of going digital with medium format, in whch case I'd probably go with Hasselblad or Mamiya. That would only be for portrait and product work, though...
#15008845
ness31 wrote:I feel like I was tricked into this thread. Florida is not ancient. I was expecting something far more exotic..welcome nonetheless.


Well, it is when compared to the rest of the United States.

I recently went to Scotland, though. Photographing a church built in the 10th century certainly puts "ancient" into perspective...
#15008846
ness31 wrote:I feel like I was tricked into this thread. Florida is not ancient. I was expecting something far more exotic..welcome nonetheless.


St augustine is generous with it's architecture. You should visit if you have the chance.

That said, the oldest European settlement and buildings in the new world is found in my parents home town. The colonial zone in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Also known as Quisqueya! Mi gente!
#15008982
Rancid wrote:St augustine is generous with it's architecture. You should visit if you have the chance.


It's nice here, but we just have way too many fuckin' tourists...
#15009091
Rancid wrote:I meant to say gorgeous, not generous. :lol:


Lol, it still worked for me oddly enough. I just thought you meant a lot of time and effort went into the architecture..which I’m sure is the case judging by photos :p

I disagree with the OP. Pornography promotes fanta[…]

EU-BREXIT

Honda decided to close Swindon, Nissan partly ret[…]

@Hindsite Nothing you said is an argument. Wha[…]

Very Serious People

Why not? I'm intrigued by this notion, actually. […]