African-American Asphyxiated by Police in Minneapolis - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Donna wrote:This statement is contradictory. You're conceding that there is an element prejudice, but you refuse to describe it as hatred for black people? They are racists, my dude. Why should anyone try to understand them?

Of course they're being racist, and yes a lot of it is hatred and resentment. I'm giving you the reason why many of them are. I'm sure there are some if not many police who are just straight up racist a-holes and would be no matter if white people made up 90% of all criminals. But there are many police, even normally good people, who have worked for years and start racially profiling based on what they deal with every day. As I said, when you work for years & see that one particular demographic is committing crimes far more than other groups, you can grow prejudicial, and this can quickly turn into resentment and even hatred.

I've worked in jobs where I serve the general public. I can tell you that after a while there is natural tendency to start generalizing people based on what they look like and how they behave based on patterns you see, and you have to keep reminding yourself to not to do it.

For instance, I worked in a job where every single client had to fill out detailed forms. Most of the time, the people who dressed in dirty and worn clothes and generally looked low income often didn't fill out the forms correctly or got lazy and simply didn't bother completing them fully. Meanwhile, if someone came in with a shirt and tie their forms were usually completed properly. So then we you see someone dressed professionally the natural reaction is to start thinking even before they give you the forms "Oh, this will be easy, they probably have this filled out properly, and when a person comes in looking like white trash you sometimes say to yourself "This person probably didn't fill out their forms correctly". And if you think that way, most of the time you're correct, but sometimes not, so you need to fight the tendency to think that way. And all of my coworkers were the same way. That doesn't mean we all had racial hatred, most of the time it was just overgeneralizing, which can quickly lead to hatred, so you have to do everything to avoid it.

So when you say "They are racists, my dude. Why should anyone try to understand them?". Well, yes they are racists, but it's easier to fix the problem when you understand why these cops are behaving racist. It's not because they're all evil. I'm sure some of them are just ignorant hateful racist jerks and can't be helped. But other cops could benefit from training to help combat the kind of wrongful racial stereotyping they shouldn't be doing. Cops are human beings too. Empathize with your enemy.

The US does not have a crisis of poor young black men involved in crime. This is nothing more than an attempt to criminalize young black men and elevate the interests of white America above everyone else's, which is basically the same as arguing that protecting property is more important than the issues facing the black community.

Around 50% of the crime including violent crime in the USA is committed by blacks, who make up only 13% of the population. Among this 13%, the large majority is committed by poor young black males. Of course there's a crisis. They are human beings too, and we need to empathize with them, and ask why they are doing this. One of the key reasons is poverty, which has largely been brought about by generational racism throughout history.

The US has a crisis of inequality and racism. Crime is merely a symptom.

I think all 3 are a crisis, and all 3 create a feedback loop that perpetuates each other.
Istanbuller wrote:It is absolutely police brutality. But I can't really say police are racially motivated in this case. It appears racist but there is no evidence he was.

Of course, leftists don't miss this chance to attack on private properties and people on streets.

I agree. It's very difficult to know what was going through the minds of the cops. it very well could have included a racist element though, or not, we just don't know. At the very least it definitely was police brutality.
Donna wrote:Due to the symbiotic relationship between racism and inequality, I'm not sure how it has gone down since the 1960's.

How do you not understand how racism has been reduced in the US since the 1960's?

I'm not saying there's still isn't a lot of racism in the US, but it's certainly leaps and bounds better than the 60's. For instance, a black POTUS would never have been elected in the 60's or 70's.
Julian658 wrote: Interestingly when American blacks move to Japan the PTSD improves markedly because they have no history with the local population.

I can see that being the case for sure. But you also have to consider that gun crime and gun ownership in Japan is extremely low, so any American would also feel safer in Japan. Though i'd think African Americans might feel safer than the average American.
@Sivad

You spend a lot of time discussing how others debate, and how others see you.

You ignore the actual topic.

——————————-

Back to important stuff:

The city has not released the bodycam footage from the four fired cops. The logical assumption is that the footage will contradict the previously released police statement saying that Mr. Floyd resisted arrest.
Pants-of-dog wrote:[usermention=45209]
The city has not released the bodycam footage from the four fired cops. The logical assumption is that the footage will contradict the previously released police statement saying that Mr. Floyd resisted arrest.

Thankfully when there's a trial it will be released for the court to see and the truth will be revealed. Bodycams are wonderful.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Thankfully when there's a trial it will be released for the court to see and the truth will be revealed. Bodycams are wonderful.

That is how it is supposed to work.

Whether or not it works out that way remains to be seen.

But if it is going to be released eventually, why are they not releasing it right now?
Too many cops get off on charges, or are not charged, even WITH video footage or body cams.

See this?
Stephon Clark. Shot because he was armed with a cellphone.

Stephon Clark, the unarmed black man who was fatally shot by police in his grandmother's backyard, was struck eight times -- including six bullets in the back, according to a private autopsy commissioned by the family.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/stephon-clark ... d=54122396

Results?
Stephon Clark: police officers who shot man eight times will not be charged
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... no-charges

I doubt any police officer will be convicted of anything.
Sivad wrote:Should that cop even be charged with murder? It seems more like negligent homicide or depraved indifference manslaughter rather than murder because he wasn't trying to kill the guy. A life sentence might be justified though when a cop kills a suspect in custody with excessive force even if it is nonlethal force.

This is an open-and-shut manslaughter case. Another area where things go wrong in these sorts of cases, is that people get so pissed off that they don't follow the law and instead look for the maximum penalty. That makes the case much more difficult to prove. You can pretty much have a slam dunk conviction on manslaughter and put this officer away for 7-10 years.

Pants-of-dog wrote:What makes you think he was not trying to kill Mr. Floyd?

It's easier to kill someone with a gun.

Saeko wrote:Irrelevant. If you intend to hurt someone and that person dies as a result, US law sees it as murder, even if you didn't intend to kill them.

Police cases are different in that the police generally use force to effect arrests. So they will have to charge him with excessive use of force to address that part of the law that exempts law enforcement, but not civilians. It's a similar issue with medical doctors. For example, giving someone a shot with a hypodermic needle or conducting a surgery can be construed to be a criminal stabbing unless performed by someone licensed.

Unthinking Majority wrote:Why did they edit the footage to cut right before they were trying to put him in the back of the police cruiser and he started acting up?

Who edited the footage? If it's the media, it was probably to incite riot. I'm guessing the victim resisted arrest, which is a frequent reason that excessive force gets used.

Unthinking Majority wrote:He didn't intentionally try to kill him. But the cop is ridiculously stupid and negligent for what he did, as are the other officers, especially not checking him after he went unresponsive.

Reckless conduct does constitute intent. So even if he says, "I didn't mean to do it," his conduct still resulted in a death. So there is a firm foundation to sustain a manslaughter charge.

Sivad wrote:No, that would be voluntary manslaughter according to Minnesota law:

Right.

Saeko wrote:609.195 MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE.

(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

I understand the sentiment here entirely. However, you then have to prove "evincing a depraved mind," and the police can point to training they've received as an affirmative defense, which they can't do in a manslaughter charge. This is the problem with overcharging when you have someone dead to rights.

Julian658 wrote:The cop in question must be retarded. Why would anyone do this knowing the history of riots and black men dying of asphyxiation? Why would a person throw away his career, pension, and risk prison? He has to be totally nuts. How about his fellow cops? One of them was a black dude.

As I said, this mostly happens in Democrat-controlled venues.

Amy Klobuchar didn't prosecute officer at center of George Floyd's death

This fucks things up for Biden, because I think he was going to pick Klobuchar, and now he can't. It also forces Biden's hand now to pick a black woman as his VP.
Before she became a senator and a top contender for former Vice President Joe Biden's vice presidential spot, Klobuchar spent eight years as the Hennepin County attorney, in charge of prosecution for Minneapolis. And while in that position, Klobuchar declined to prosecute multiple police officers cited for excessive force, and did not prosecute the officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck as he protested, The Guardian reports.

And you'll notice that Maxine Waters blames this on Trump with virtually nothing to support her assertion. Yet, we have a previous complaint against the officer and yet another Democrat letting it slide.

Black men in America have to legitimately think overtime about their safety when it comes to police encounters.

Yes they do. However, the black community has to start taking the problem of resisting arrest seriously. Too much of black culture is NWA-style "Fuck tha police!", and it leads to felony arrests.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Race is not a biological thing, and is instead a social construct like culture is.

Skin color is a biological thing. There is such a thing as a refractive index.

Unthinking Majority wrote:On the other hand, we also have to empathize with what the police deal with every day. They are more scared when they pull over a young black man than an old white lady.

Sure, but that in no way excuses what happened in this case. They had someone in cuffs. If someone dies when you have them in cuffs, you've got some explaining to do.

Julian658 wrote: They also suffer from racial PTSD and once they are confronted by police they tend to resist. Once the PTSD kicks in and the amygdala fires up it is very hard to remain calm.

That is the tragic reality.

Julian658 wrote:However, cops are incredibly brutal in America and the number of killings is astronomically high. They will even shoot moribund people on the ground if the move their hands.

A lot of them are ex-military. They also have PTSD.

Donna wrote:The US does not have a crisis of poor young black men involved in crime. This is nothing more than an attempt to criminalize young black men and elevate the interests of white America above everyone else's, which is basically the same as arguing that protecting property is more important than the issues facing the black community.

Oh it most certainly does. When you take the murder stats, you get a disproportionately higher rate among blacks than among whites. When you control for gender and age, you're looking at black men between 14-40 who commit a statistically significant disproportionate number of violent crimes. It's simply ridiculous to pretend it's not an issue.

Unthinking Majority wrote:One of the key reasons is poverty, which has largely been brought about by generational racism throughout history.

All of the industrial jobs were shipped offshore.

Unthinking Majority wrote:Bodycams are wonderful.

They are. Obama +1 for that one.
blackjack21 wrote:Which political party runs Minneapolis? Isn't that in Ihan Omar's congressional district?

It just so happens that Minneapolis has a Jewish mayor and an African American police chief, just like Charlottesville did back in 2016. Kinda weird that this kind of chaos Just happens to occur around this combination of leadership.
A man who shot a guy trying to loot his pawn shop has been arrested on murder charges. I feel bad for him.

That looter who got shot is basically a martyr for equality and his sacrifice moves us towards a more fair and just world.

The only thing I don't agree with is that the looters aren't social distancing. Don't they realize that by not social distancing while burning down buildings they are basically killing people's grandmas?
Last edited by Wulfschilde on 29 May 2020 05:55, edited 1 time in total.

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]