Saudi Arabia-Jamal Khashoggi - Western Hypocrisy - Page 25 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Patrickov wrote:I think Trump should also disclose whatever truth he gets. Despite appreciating him a lot on making the Chinese Commies panic, I am pretty much offended by the fact that he effectively blamed every one of us on Khashoggi's death. Does he expect us to have done something to stop this from happening?

I don't recall President Trump blaming anyone for Khashoggi's murder, but those that have been charged for the murder by the Saudi government. They certainly know better than anyone else since it happened in their embassy in Turkey. From what I understand there are people getting murdered somewhere in the world everyday. Neither President Trump or any of us have the power to prevent every murder in the world. And it would be irresponsible for President Trump to disclose whatever truth he gets, because he has a responsibility for America's national security.
Red_Army wrote:It is pretty funny how all the Dem scum and liberals are acting like the US relationship with Saud began with Trump. It's been a disgusting incestuous mess for a few decades and Trump's just joined enthusiastically, but some dipshits would act like it was a first love.

They know better, unless they are stupid. It is just that anything Trump does will be criticized, because that is their M.O. now.
blackjack21 wrote:That would just drive them to other partners, most likely Russia. However, Britain and France will certainly jump in as well if they can.

That's what I said. I said "Even if arms sales are cut to Saudi Arabia, well, it's very cut-throat in the competition in the arms race; another state will just get the weapons and equipment anyway. Maybe those beloved democracies like China, Turkey or the Congo (yes the civil war is getting worse with no end in sight still!)"
Hindsite wrote:I don't recall President Trump blaming anyone for Khashoggi's murder, but those that have been charged for the murder by the Saudi government. They certainly know better than anyone else since it happened in their embassy in Turkey. From what I understand there are people getting murdered somewhere in the world everyday. Neither President Trump or any of us have the power to prevent every murder in the world. And it would be irresponsible for President Trump to disclose whatever truth he gets, because he has a responsibility for America's national security.

Trump said "The vicious world" was responsible for Khashoggi's murder. That term by default includes everyone.
Patrickov wrote:Trump said "The vicious world" was responsible for Khashoggi's murder. That term by default includes everyone.

I don't agree. There are some in the world that are not vicious. I am pretty sure Trump used it in the following definition:

vi·cious.

1.deliberately cruel or violent.

"a vicious assault"

synonyms:

brutal · ferocious · savage · violent · dangerous · ruthless

I would put ISIS and many other Muslim groups in that category, but I would not describe most Christians as being vicious. But I guess you could claim I am bias, since I claim to be a Christian instead of a Muslim. Praise the Lord.
I think what always has to be remembered is that Khashoggi basically signaled to others that he was in Saudi intelligence and implied he rolls very deep. He's a prominent sub-elite from a family that has been known to the King for a very long time, right.

Acting like he is some completely innocent journalist that was unfairly targeted is being a bit naive.

This guy should not be affecting US foreign policy.
Turkey's Erdogan Uses Khashoggi in PR War, But Some Look to His Record

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is attempting to leverage the international backlash over the brutal killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi to damage his arch rival Saudi Arabia, analysts warn.

Erdogan’s latest attempt to exploit the Khashoggi killing came last week, when he told state-run Turkish television: ‘I cannot understand America’s silence. … We want everything to be clarified because there is an atrocity, there is a murder.”

Despite his high dudgeon, experts say Erdogan has orchestrated a massive crackdown against political opponents in Turkey -- especially since the July 2016 coup attempt he blamed on Turkish expatriate dissident Fethullah Gulen, who resides in Pennsylvania.

Amnesty International, the human rights organization, noted that Erdogan used the coup to arrest some 10,000 political opponents.

Once imprisoned, the organization reported many were subject to brutal “beatings and torture, including rape.”

Another human rights group has chronicled at least 117 murders of detainees at the hands of Erdogan’s regime.

The Committee to Protect Journalists says Turkey's Erdogan’s is the “biggest jailer of journalists” in the world, and the group currently counts 68 imprisoned colleagues there.

Erdogan has leveraged the 2016 attempted coup to conduct a purge and consolidate power. Among the reasons Western leaders are increasingly alarmed by his authoritarian presidency:

Over 50,000 citizens have been arrested, and over 150,000 lost their jobs, ostensibly because they did not actively oppose the coup attempt. Soner Cagaptay of the Washington Institute for Near Eastern Policy has stated Erdogan “has demonized, brutalized, and cracked down on [citizens] who are unlikely to vote for him.”

He has filed lawsuits or arrested thousands of people for the crime of “insulting the president,” an offense punishable in Turkey by up to four years in jail.

He supported the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamist groups during the Arab Spring, alienating erstwhile allies Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

Erdogan, the leader of a NATO-member nation, purchased an S-400 surface-to-air missile system from Russia two years ago, reducing NATO interoperability and security.

He has publicly denied that Hamas is a terror organization, and has allowed Turkey to be used as a safe-haven for Hamas operatives.

On Friday, Bloomberg reported that Erdogan helped embattled strongman Nicolas Maduro remove nearly $1 billion in gold bars from Venezuela, stashing them inside Turkey. “It’s not the first time that Turkey has positioned itself as a work-around for countries facing U.S. sanctions,” Bloomberg News reported, “potentially undermining Washington’s efforts to isolate governments it considers hostile or corrupt.”

When Iran was suffering under withering U.S. sanctions over its rogue nuclear program, he inked three trade deals with the pariah nation. Phillips says his regime “has helped Iran evade U.S. sanctions to the tune of billions of dollars.”

In what many saw as an attempt to pressure U.S. leaders into handing over his rival Gulen, his forces imprisoned American Pastor Andrew Brunson for over two years on threadbare charges before letting him return home.

Last month, Erdogan snubbed Trump national security chief John Bolton during his visit to Ankara, saying Bolton made “a serious mistake” by pledging the United States would not abandon the Kurdish fighters who shed their blood to help the Trump administration decimate ISIS. Erdogan has branded the Kurds terrorists, and bitterly opposes the establishment of an independent nation for the displaced Kurdish people.

Erdogan even once threatened to launch attacks on U.S. Special Operations forces working with the Kurds in Syria, stating “Don’t force us to bury in the ground those who are with terrorists.”

Trump administration officials would prefer to maintain good relations with both Saudi Arabia and Turkey, but that is increasingly difficult given Erdogan’s broadsides.

The Turks allowed known militants to cross their country going to Syria. They allowed wounded ISIS fighters to receive medical treatment inside Turkey. Also, a lot of the oil that ISIS controlled was leaking over the border into Turkey. One of the reasons ISIS expanded so quickly in Syria is that Turks saw ISIS as the lesser threat, compared to the Syrian Kurds.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Russia doesn't have endless supply of weapons and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]

Starlink satellites are designed to deorbit and bu[…]