Black voters ordered off bus; Georgia county defends action - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

How do you know seniors already had transportation to got to the ballots and how does this delegitimatize their request for BVM to take them there?

Because the local officials said so.
Probably because they want to vote as well. It isn't just senior citizens.

They were not members of the community. They could not vote there.
Because they have probably done this before (such as taking seniors to vote) and didn't have to ask the permission of the people in charge.

Pure speculation. There is nothing to support this. Even if true, you still ask permission each time.
Not even high school groups go to senior citizens to assist without getting permission first.
That is just not how it works with facilities that deal with seniors.

Edit: @Oxymandias
Having lived in senior housing, I will assure you if a bus pulled up and started loading senior citizens, the police would be called. It is simply not done without notice.
Oxymandias wrote:http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/black-voters-ordered-off-bus-georgia-county-defends-action-1
Based on this , it seems to me that these seniors were being infantilized by the county . https://www.huffingtonpost.com/randall-horton/stop-infantilizing-old-people-please_b_8969134.html Senior citizens should not forfeit there civil rights simply due to entering assisted living .
@One Degree

Because the local officials said so.

You still didn't answer my second question. How does this de-legitimatize the senior's request to BVM to take them to vote?

They were not members of the community. They could not vote there.

Pardon? The bus wasn't just for senior citizens.

Pure speculation. There is nothing to support this. Even if true, you still ask permission each time.
Not even high school groups go to senior citizens to assist without getting permission first.
That is just not how it works with facilities that deal with seniors.

After re-reading the article, it seems that BVM had done this before and had legitimate reasoning for taking them to vote:

The center is owned and run by Jefferson County. It's a place for activities, not long-term or even short-term living. Visitors come and go as they please. So when they asked the Black Voters group to take them to the voting precinct, which is just around the corner, they did not expect push back.

"These are grown people. We're not talking about children." LaTosha Brown continued, "These are grown adults, they have the right--they come to the center as a patron of the center. They're not a resident of the center, nobody has control or authority over them."

So this isn't speculation.
You still didn't answer my second question. How does this de-legitimatize the senior's request to BVM to take them to vote?

Yes, I did. I said I was not aware this had definitely been established. Did they call them? Why did they request to be picked up somewhere other than where they lived. They were obviously solicited. The bus showed up and senior citizens ran out and asked for a ride to vote? Bullshit.

Pardon? The bus wasn't just for senior citizens.

So what? Why did the group need more than the driver?

After re-reading the article, it seems that BVM had done this before and had legitimate reasoning for taking them to vote:

I doubt it. See above comment. The scenario is highly suspect no matter how they may have got the seniors to ‘ask’. It totally fails the smell test.

@Deutschmania
That article has nothing to do with this situation. I have never heard a senior complain Security was too tight.
@One Degree

Yes, I did. I said I was not aware this had definitely been established. Did they call them? Why did they request to be picked up somewhere other than where they lived. They were obviously solicited. The bus showed up and senior citizens ran out and asked for a ride to vote? Bullshit.

How are they obviously solicited despite not only asking them out of their own volition but also being established members of the community and thus can't be solicited. This is speculation on your part. Yes, they did call them prior to the bus arriving, they themselves say that in the article and it showed up where they lived because BVM wanted to do them a courtesy and not force them to walk somewhere else since, you know, they're senior citizens.

So what? Why did the group need more than the driver?

Probably because blacks have a higher poverty rate than whites so some people need a bus to take them to vote.

I doubt it. See above comment. The scenario is highly suspect no matter how they may have got the seniors to ‘ask’. It totally fails the smell test.

I did. It's only speculation that the seniors were forced to ask them on your part.
How are they obviously solicited despite not only asking them out of their own volition but also being established members of the community and thus can't be solicited. This is speculation on your part. Yes, they did call them prior to the bus arriving, they themselves say that in the article and it showed up where they lived because BVM wanted to do them a courtesy and not force them to walk somewhere else since, you know, they're senior citizens.

The scenario shows some type of solicitation was required.
You argue it was not where they lived and now you are arguing it is where they lived. Which is it? Were they at home or were they at the senior center? You can’t argue both.

Probably because blacks have a higher poverty rate than whites so some people need a bus to take them to vote.

That has nothing to do with why it would take more than one person to drive the bus. Your weak deflections show this doesn’t make sense to you either.

I did. It's only speculation that the seniors were forced to ask them on your part.

It is not simple speculation. It is speculation based upon the ‘smell test’. It is what is used in court when presenting circumstantial evidence.
KurtFF8 wrote:Looks like a clear cut case of voter suppression to me. Anyone who says otherwise is either quite ignorant of the history of voting rights in places like Georgia or is just so blatantly racist that facts don't matter in cases like this.

https://www.wrdw.com/content/news/Black ... 38561.html

The county claimed it was a "misunderstanding."

You quote the same original news story that we are all discussing as evidence that some of us are ignorant? What did you think started the discussion?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

we ought to have maintained a bit more 'racial hy[…]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]