President George H.W. Bush has passed at 94...... - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Funeral Details:
https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... f16826ec94

MSM is treating it as some weird big deal he wanted President Trump to attend. Bush opposed Trump politically because of Jeb's campaign and whatnot, not "to the grave, over my dead body".

Critize Bush all you want, but the dude was a patriot most of the time. Ain't no way he wasn't going to invite the current President to attend.
Red_Army wrote:@One Degree There was already section 504 and some other stuff that provided services. I was mixing up some legislation. The ADA was still very important for establishing rights for the disabled.

When did you go to High School?

I graduated 1966, but the school experience I mentioned was 1959.

Edit: @Red_Army You are apparently referring to federal programs but local communities offered services well before they got involved.
Last edited by One Degree on 04 Dec 2018 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
That's pretty cool that your school did that because it was not a federal mandate until 1973.

It's great that some local communities did the right thing before being obligated to do so, but the same could be said for every historical injustice. It still needs to be federally mandated or you would have thousands of children with disabilities being denied services as they were before Section 504, ADA, IDEA, etc.
Red_Army wrote:The handicapped were not allowed to attend public schools or any building that didn't make itself accessible through the goodness of their heart. I work in special education and the ADA is the only reason people with disabilities are granted access to any public or private services. Just because you don't know about the oppression (because of your willful ignorance) doesn't mean it didn't exist.

That's total crap. I have handicapped people in my own family that were able to access public facilities before the ADA. Failing to cater to every disability is not oppression.

Rich wrote:I have to say its fantastic to see the left descending into a pathetic fantasy world where H Bush was some hated figure by Muslims. Saudi Arabia, Egypt. Syria, Morocco, Kuwait, Oman, Pakistan, the UAE, Qatar, Bangladesh, Niger, Senegal and Bahrain all joined the coalition of the willing. Even Iran did their bit to aid the American led war effort by impounding Iraqi planes.

It is remarkable the sort of things these people believe, isn't it?

Rancid wrote:I think the ADA was a good thing. If you've been to a developing nation which typically don't have ADA equivalents, you would realize how shitty things are for he disabled.

Providing tax credits to businesses to make accommodations would have been more than adequate. Passing an unfunded mandate and sending trial lawyers to sue small businesses and line their own pockets is a deplorable thing to do. Opposing the ADA in no way implies opposing people with disabilities. It's just opposing big business and trial lawyers, which for some reason Red_Army suddenly loves.

Red_Army wrote:Before the ADA people with cognitive disabilities were automatically institutionalized.

That's bullshit. There have been people with cognitive disabilities roaming the streets as "homeless" both before and after the ADA.

Red_Army wrote:blackjack is going off in his typical wackjob fashion about some conspiracy to destroy small businesses through ramps. He also seems to think that leftists should be concerned with small business more than the working class because he doesn't understand things. I await his 5 page post responding to everyone who has ever posted.

No worries. I'm just nothing that someone who characterizes himself as "Red_Army" is a defender of country club Republicans and their legislation all of a sudden.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:Yeah ok so the US should have just let Saddam take Kuwait for himself?

Sure, why not?

The US couldn't afford to let Saddam have so much oil it would shift the balance of power in the region

Yawn, why should anyone care about the balance of power between Kuwait and Iraq? Honestly, it's not worth even debating.

Thats the way you win wars. with brutal assault on your enemies without caring about civilian deaths thats how all major wars were won

The way you win wars is to let some other fool sacrifice his wealth, population, and resources - then come in afterwards and pick up the pieces.
"I don't like him(Trump)," George H.W. Bush told historian Mark Updegrove for his 2017 book, The Last Republicans. "I don't know much about him, but I know he's a blowhard. And I'm not too excited about him being a leader."

:lol:
jimjam wrote:"I don't like him(Trump)," George H.W. Bush told historian Mark Updegrove for his 2017 book, The Last Republicans. "I don't know much about him, but I know he's a blowhard. And I'm not too excited about him being a leader."

Still he's invited to the funeral, lol.

Presidents stick together, heh.
quetzalcoatl wrote:Sure, why not?

Because Saddam was a Sunni Arab. We face three great threats, the Sunni Muslims, Han racist, nationalist Imperialist expansionism and the Black African population explosion. I would no problem with Shia power controlling non Kurdish Iran, non Kurdish Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain and Saudi Eastern province. We can't control everything, currently we can't control anything even our own borders.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:Bush did nothing wrong in 1991 Saddam was too aggressive and deserved a spanking
but removing Saddam completely was a major mistake

Bush sr showed greater intelligence than his son in 2003 but he still deserves some blame for what ultimately happened. The demonization of Saddam and maintanence of sanctions, even after the '91 war, paved the way for the ruinous failings of this century.
jimjam wrote:"I don't like him(Trump)," George H.W. Bush told historian Mark Updegrove for his 2017 book, The Last Republicans. "I don't know much about him, but I know he's a blowhard. And I'm not too excited about him being a leader."

...one track mind...

starman2003 wrote:Bush sr showed greater intelligence than his son in 2003 but he still deserves some blame for what ultimately happened. The demonization of Saddam and maintanence of sanctions, even after the '91 war, paved the way for the ruinous failings of this century.

The failings of this century have more to do with the division of power from the fall of the Ottoman Empire following WWI. Trying to build nations with tribes is difficult. Regrettably, the situation is not much different from what was depicted in Lawrence of Arabia.

For me, the interesting take away is that the left likes Bush now, because they beat him. Bush wanted to be liked by the left too--a fatal flaw of moderate Republicans since '68. Inheriting the Reagan legacy and triumph over the Soviet Union, he passed social and environmental legislation, raised taxes, and lost re-election. By contrast, his son--hated by the left--learned the lesson, cut taxes and was re-elected. Although, the son also passed social legislation, which was gutted by his successor.

The bottom line is that today, you cannot hope for bi-partisan consensus on the political right without underwriting your own political defeat. It's why McCain was lionized by Democrats after his death, while Republicans remembered his betrayal on ObamaCare, among other betrayals.
blackjack21 wrote:...one track mind...

it seems that it takes one to know one. looks like you and I have diametrically opposed minds on the subject of blowhards; and, man, does Donald blow hard :lol: .

BTW I applaud trump for moving against fentanyl.

Did he think the same about his own son? Because I wouldn't believe Trump is any worse.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Assuming it's true. What a jackass. It's like tho[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]

Let's set the philosophical questions to the side[…]