President George H.W. Bush has passed at 94...... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

He wasn't the worst President. Not the best, but way better than the idiot that followed him by direct comparison.

Fittingly extended the Republican Party's reign to a solid 12 years and for that I will say he was ok(Kept the right Party in power). Dukakis was an easy kill for a seasoned pro though.

I never opposed the first Gulf War so I don't hold that against him.

Rest in Peace
Red_Army wrote:I hope his last moments were a horrifying reminiscence of his many crimes.

@Tainari88 I also appreciate you. I'm very hate filled and mostly a dick on this site. For instance I was going to say something dickish to @Eauz for the above comment, but after reading yours I realized that you're right. I'm almost always a dick here because I get annoyed and yell into the internet's void like most of us do, but every once in awhile I read a post and realize that it's wrong and I should probably be a better person. I will likely not improve, but every acknowledgement of your own weaknesses and shortcomings is a step towards betterment I think :D

edit: I very much appreciate everyone's concern about the earthquake. It was definitely something to remember and I hope all of you are safe in your lives regardless of how much I think your ideology should be ground to dust ;)

Lol. May he Rest In Peace, but he was a nonentity to me. Vanilla. I have no strong feelings about him.
Yes H Bush and Hafez Assad stood shoulder to shoulder in 1991. Clearly Hafez Assad was a passionate believer that American led military interventions in the Middle East could be a force for good.

A World Transformed, a 1998 book by former U.S. President George H. W. Bush and Brent Scowcroft.

I remember that my first essay assignment in Britain was about the 1991 Gulf War, for which I referenced his book. President Bush explained how the Cold War ended in "A World Transformed" as he witnessed it as a CIA director and *Vice President* under President Reagan. President George H. W. Bush was known as the last foreign policy president and he boasted about how he formed a huge international coalition before the Gulf War, which his son failed to deliver when he went after Saddam for the second time.
Last edited by ThirdTerm on 01 Dec 2018 20:47, edited 3 times in total.
ThirdTerm wrote:I remember that my first essay assignment in Britain was about the 1991 Gulf War, for which I referenced his book. President Bush explained how the Cold War ended in "A World Transformed" as he witnessed it as a CIA director under President Reagan.

He was CIA director under Ford not Reagan.
[center-img]http://i67.tinypic.com/212u45d.jpg[/center-img]

Under Bush Sr., the U.S. dropped a whopping 88,500 tons of bombs on Iraq and Iraqi-occupied Kuwait, many of which resulted in horrific civilian casualties. In February 1991, for example, a U.S. airstrike on an air-raid shelter in the Amiriyah neighborhood of Baghdad killed at least 408 Iraqi civilians. According to Human Rights Watch, the Pentagon knew the Amiriyah facility had been used as a civil-defense shelter during the Iran-Iraq war and yet had attacked without warning. It was, concluded HRW, “a serious violation of the laws of war.”
U.S. bombs also destroyed essential Iraqi civilian infrastructure — from electricity-generating and water-treatment facilities to food-processing plants and flour mills. This was no accident. As Barton Gellman of the Washington Post reported in June 1991: “Some targets, especially late in the war, were bombed primarily to create postwar leverage over Iraq, not to influence the course of the conflict itself. Planners now say their intent was to destroy or damage valuable facilities that Baghdad could not repair without foreign assistance…Because of these goals, damage to civilian structures and interests, invariably described by briefers during the war as ‘collateral’ and unintended, was sometimes neither.”
Got that? The Bush administration deliberately targeted civilian infrastructure for “leverage” over Saddam Hussein. How is this not terrorism? As a Harvard public health team concluded in June 1991, less than four months after the end of the war, the destruction of Iraqi infrastructure had resulted in acute malnutrition and “epidemic” levels of cholera and typhoid.
By January 1992, Beth Osborne Daponte, a demographer with the U.S. Census Bureau, was estimating that Bush’s Gulf War had caused the deaths of 158,000 Iraqis, including 13,000 immediate civilian deaths and 70,000 deaths from the damage done to electricity and sewage treatment plants.Daponte’s numbers contradicted the Bush administration’s and she was threatened by her superiors with dismissal for releasing “false information.” (Sound familiar?)

Bush snr refused to cooperate with a special counsel. The Iran-Contra affair, in which the United States traded missiles for Americans hostages in Iran, and used the proceeds of those arms sales to fund Contra rebels in Nicaragua, did much to undermine the presidency of Ronald Reagan. Yet his vice president’s involvement in that controversial affair has garnered far less attention. “The criminal investigation of Bush was regrettably incomplete,” wrote Special Counsel Lawrence Walsh, a former deputy attorney general in the Eisenhower administration, in his final report on the Iran-Contra affair in August 1993.

Why? Because Bush snr, who was “fully aware of the Iran arms sale,” according to the special counsel, failed to hand over a diary “containing contemporaneous notes relevant to Iran/contra” and refused to be interviewed in the later stages of the investigation. In the final days of his presidency, Bush even issued pardons to six defendants in the Iran-Contra affair, including former Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger — on the eve of Weinberger’s trial for perjury and obstruction of justice. “The Weinberger pardon,” Walsh pointedly noted, “marked the first time a president ever pardoned someone in whose trial he might have been called as a witness, because the president was knowledgeable of factual events underlying the case.” An angry Walsh accused Bush of “misconduct” and helping to complete “the Iran-contra cover-up”.
Sounds like a Trumpian case of obstruction of justice, doesn’t it?

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/01/the ... f-justice/
Zionist Nationalist wrote:Yeah ok so the US should have just let Saddam take Kuwait for himself?
The US couldn't afford to let Saddam have so much oil it would shift the balance of power in the region

Thats the way you win wars. with brutal assault on your enemies without caring about civilian deaths thats how all major wars were won

Let's be frank here; although a case can be made for your statement regarding Oil and giving Saddam Hussein too much power, the real reason for concern on your part about Saddam Hussein's invasion and occupation of Kuwait was his opposition to Israel.

Saddam Hussein was an Arab Fascist who enjoyed the support of the United States for many years, as long as he was fighting Iran especially. But with peace and a weakened Iran, there was an opportunity for multiple Elite factions to make use of the situation in Kuwait to begin the age we're in today.

They'll be after Israel too someday.
Gen. Augusto Pinochet's death on Dec. 10 means the Bush Family can breathe a little bit easier, knowing that criminal proceedings against Chile's notorious dictator can no longer implicate his longtime friend and protector, former President George H.W. Bush. Although Chilean investigations against other defendants may continue, the cases against Pinochet end with his death of a heart attack at the age of 91. Pinochet's death from natural causes also marks a victory for world leaders, including George H.W. and George W. Bush, who shielded Pinochet from justice over the past three decades.
Over those intervening 30 years, Pinochet allegedly engaged in a variety of illicit operations, including terrorism, torture, murder, drug trafficking, money-laundering and illicit arms shipments – sometimes with the official collusion of the U.S. government. In the 1980s, when George H.W. Bush was Vice President, Pinochet's regime helped funnel weapons to the Nicaraguan contra rebels and to Saddam Hussein's Iraq, an operation that also implicated then-CIA official Robert M. Gates, who will be the next U.S. Secretary of Defense.

When Pinochet faced perhaps his greatest risk of prosecution – in 1998 when he was detained in London pending extradition to Spain on charges of murdering Spanish citizens – former President George H.W. Bush protested Pinochet's arrest, calling it "a travesty of justice" and joining in a successful appeal to the British courts to let Pinochet go home to Chile. Once Pinochet was returned to Chile, the wily ex-dictator employed a legal strategy of political obstruction and assertions of ill health to avert prosecution. Until his death, he retained influential friends in the Chilean power structure and in key foreign capitals, especially Washington.

https://www.globalpolicy.org/component/ ... 29616.html

Human rights violations in Pinochet's Chile were the crimes against humanity, persecution of opponents, political repression and state terrorism committed by the Chilean Armed Forces, members of Carabineros de Chile and civil repressive agents members of a secret police, during the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet in Chile from September 11, 1973, until March 11, 1990.
According to the Commission of Truth and Reconciliation (Rettig Commission) and the National Commission on Political Imprisonment and Torture (Valech Commission), the number of direct victims of human rights violations in Chile accounts for around 30,000 people: 27,255 tortured and 2,279 executed. In addition, some 200,000 people suffered exile and an unknown number went through clandestine centers and illegal detention.
The systematic human rights violations that were committed by the military government of Chile, under General Augusto Pinochet, included gruesome acts of physical and sexual abuse, as well as psychological damage. From September 11, 1973 to March 11, 1990, Chilean armed forces, the police and all those aligned with the military junta were involved in institutionalizing fear and terror in Chile.

The most prevalent forms of state-sponsored torture that Chilean prisoners endured were electric shocks, waterboarding, beatings, and sexual abuse. Another common mechanism of torture employed was "disappearing" those who were deemed to be potentially subversive because they adhered to leftist political doctrines. The tactic of "disappearing" the enemies of the Pinochet regime was systematically carried out during the first four years of military rule. The "disappeared" were held in secret, subjected to torture and were often never seen again. Both the National Commission on Political Imprisonment and Torture (Valech Report) and the Commission of Truth and Reconciliation (Rettig Report) approximate that there were around 30,000 victims of human rights abuses in Chile, with 27,255 tortured and 2,279 executed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_r ... %27s_Chile

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]