Julian Assange arrested in London - Page 16 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Prisoners' revolt and pressure from legal team and campaigners forces Belmarsh to move Assange out of solitary. WikiLeaks statement:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1220708757702877186
French “Yellow Vests” rally for Julian Assange outside London’s Belmarsh Prison

More than 100 “yellow vest” protesters travelled from France on Saturday, joining a demonstration outside London’s Belmarsh Prison in defence of imprisoned WikiLeaks publisher and journalist Julian Assange.

The participation of “yellow vests” in Saturday’s event testified to the global scope of support for Assange, with solidarity events held in Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Austria, Switzerland and Germany ahead of US extradition hearings which open in London on February 24...
Photos of the demonstration on Saturday the 25th.Jan.20 outside London's Belmarsh prison.

It was a glorious day, through to the night... Thank you all the attendees, and a special thanks to the French Yellow Vesters who have been with us on many occasions, to demonstrate their support for the freedom of information and the rights of Journalism which are being reflected today in the case of Julian Assange.

Attachments
a.jpg
Great news!

Will they release him now?

Council of Europe sides with Julian Assange

The attitude of European institutions is changing after years of silence. In this case, it was Andrej Hunko and Gianni Marilotti that convinced the European Assembly to speak up.

The moment that press freedom advocates have been waiting for so long has finally arrived. The European institutions are starting to officially state that they don’t want Julian Assange to be extradited to the U.S.

The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) has become the first one to step in and call for Assange’s immediate release, joining the call of the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture, Nils Melzer, who some months ago clearly stated that Assange should walk free.

The call was made on the 28th of January, 2020, when the PACE was debating on a resolution for the Member States included in a report on Threats to Media Freedom and Journalists’ Security in Europe.

Drafted by the Labour member of the British House of Lords, George Foulkes, the document opens stating that the Council of Europe and its Assembly are firmly committed to strengthening media freedom in all its aspects, including the right to access to information, the safeguard of editorial independence and of 'the ability to investigate, criticise and contribute to public debate without fear of pressure or interference'.

Several amendments to the report were proposed inside the PACE Committee on Culture, Science, Education and Media, and Lord Foulkes, who is part of it, was happy to accept the one on Assange.

Lord Foulkes said:

“UK colleagues supported it because we don’t want to see him extradited by the UK Government to the United States and facing centuries in prison.”

The Council of Europe is the continent’s leading institution on human rights and includes 47 member states, 28 of which are also part of the European Union. What this Parliamentary Assembly, made up of members of national legislatures says about freedom of the press is something civil society should take notice of.

In this light, you would hope that the work of Wikileaks and his founder can hardly be forgotten. Or maybe it could — it seemed to be surprisingly off the agenda until some weeks ago, but January 2020 seems to have marked a change of course.

At the beginning of the new year, an urgent alert on the Assange case was submitted by the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) and by the European Federation of Journalists (EFJ) to the new online platform that the Council of Europe implemented in order to ensure the protection of reporters by drawing attention to particularly pressing current issues.

The urgent alert on the Assange case quoted the statements made by UN Special Rapporteur on Torture Nils Melzer after visiting Assange in Belmarsh prison in May 2019.

He said:

“In addition to physical ailments, Mr Assange showed all symptoms typical for prolonged exposure to psychological torture."

Following that urgent alert, on the 27th of January, an event sponsored by German Member of Parliament Andrej Hunko, was held at the Council of Europe on the risks represented by possible extradition of Assange for the freedom of the press.

After an intervention by Nils Melzer via videolink, the audience had the chance to listen to the General Secretary of the IFJ Anthony Bellanger.

According to Mr Bellanger:

“The detention regime currently imposed on Assange appears to be unnecessary, disproportionate and discriminatory, and to perpetuate his exposure to psychological torture.”

Following Regis Brillat of the CPT (Executive Secretary of the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture), the discussion proceeded with Senator Gianni Marilotti, coordinator of the Italian Parliamentarian Intergroup for the Monitoring of Julian Assange case.

Given the unprecedented tough talk pronounced by some speakers against the guilty silence of some states on the persecution of an individual who can “only be accused of having disclosed real facts”, it is likely that this conference on Assange’s extradition risks has deeply influenced the development of the debate in the Assembly.

And, actually, there are some steps that happened behind the scenes.

One of these is the drafting by Hunko of an amendment (different from the one finally approved, which was written later) signed also by his Italian colleague Marilotti and aiming to modify the Assembly’s Media Report in order for it to mention Wikileaks publisher.

It suggested to add the following words:

“...and defend the freedom media and security of journalists, namely in the case of Julian Assange as his possible extradition to the U.S. would set a precedent and threaten journalists in all member states”.

Moreover, Hunko spoke with his British colleague author of the PACE Media Freedom Report, Lord Faulkes, highlighting the importance to add a clear reference to the case. The reply was positive and the discussion grew inside the Committee.

Then Hunko handed the ball to the Italian Senator Gianni Marilotti, whose words as a speaker of the conference on Assange’s extradition seemed to wake up many parliamentarians by highlighting the clash between the extradition and European democratic values.

He stated:

We believe it is important to highlight the fact that the unfair treatment and human rights violations that he is apparently facing are not compatible with the foundations of the European democracies, which gave themselves laws and principles related to the respect of the human being that are not negotiable.

He went on by expressing a tough condemnation of the complicity shown by many states:

We should be surprised and in a certain way outraged in front of the cautious silence kept by some states not only on Julian Assange’s situation but also on the facts revealed by him through Wikileaks work. These silence seemed to authorise or support the US and the United Kingdom’s behaviour in relation to an individual who is apparently deprived of the right to prepare his defence and deprived as well of his right to dignified psychophysical conditions.

Enhanced by Hunko’s event speakers, the debate continued in the Media Committee of the PACE, where a new amendment on Assange emerged, tabled by Mr Stefan Schennach and other members.

It stated:

In this respect, consider that the detention and criminal prosecution of Mr Julian Assange sets a dangerous precedent for journalists, and join the recommendation of the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment who declared, on 1 November 2019, that Mr Assange's extradition to the United States must be barred and that he must be promptly released.

Noticing that the second amendment was even stronger, Mr Hunko withdrew the one he had proposed.

Another member of the Italian Intergroup, Alvise Maniero, during the final vote expressed satisfaction for this choice. “I hope my colleagues will show their courage by approving these amendments and its spirit, in that moment I will be able to joyfully approve the whole report on media freedom”, he stated.

And, since the Assembly finally approved a unanimous call for the release of Wikileaks publisher, the patient work of Hunko and Marilotti has been rewarded.

Marilotti had stated during Hunko’s event:

“We have to stop being silent and to stop the one that seems to be a global warning according to which we don’t have the right to know the truth about the facts and not even the right to disclose it to the public.”

This time, we can say the Council of Europe joined them.

Surely, others will follow.

Stardust wrote:Image

Both of these were very good. The latter had a massive turnout, was shocked to see so many out. The movement for press freedom is building very well in time for the court dates at the end of this month and the trial in May.
Yes, thank you both!
@Atlantis for sharing this valuable report about the new amendment by PACE. I agree that this is a really good sign, alongside the other great things which are happening with regards to the case of Julian Assange and the rights of journalism.

@skinster for attending the referred events. I agree that they were both great, and especially the one on the 4th.Feb titled 'Freedom of Speech, and the case of Julian Assange' with a massive turnout.

I was there too, and managed to take a few pictures. Here are some featuring the speakers: Nils Melzer, John Rees (the event organiser) & Tariq Ali, respectively:
Assange and Manning are still gulaged.

I get inspired and enraged every time I think of Manning, my heart swells with admiration for what an excellent person she is and then I get a deep seething rage in my chest at what those fucking swine are doing to her.
Sivad wrote:Assange and Manning are still gulaged.

I get inspired and enraged every time I think of Manning, my heart swells with admiration for what an excellent person she is and then I get a deep seething rage in my chest at what those fucking swine are doing to her.

Hmm... Too much emotion, and not much thoughts :eh:
Sivad wrote:Assange and Manning are still gulaged.

Assange situation is unlawful because Assange is a publisher.

Manning is not so clear cut because she was employed and obviously under NDA by the US government/contractors. Same goes for Snowden by the way. This doesn't mean that what they did is bad. It was actually important and good. The problem is that the law and any government can not forgive such transgressions against them on many levels. So although morally it is very questionable to gulag Manning and Snowden, there is no legal argument against it besides them having support from the regular people. (Which is not much of a legal argument)

For Assange it is different though. The UK or the US will have to twist their legal system upside down to charge him with anything serious or anything at all besides bullshit.
Wasn't Manning pardoned by Obama ?
She is back in jail because she refuses to testify against Assange.
I thought that incarceration was time limited, dependent on the length of the validity of the Grand Jury.
Okay, Sivad. I'll let you get on with that, while we continue to balance our thoughts and feelings :)
Petition by Reporters Without Borders:

Sign against Julian Assange's extradition to the United States

Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is firmly opposed to the possible extradition of Julian Assange to the United States, where he could be sentenced to up to 175 years in prison for charges that include publishing and providing journalists with information that served the public interest.

As a matter of urgency, please sign this petition calling for the United Kingdom not to comply with the United States’ request to extradite Julian Assange. Share this appeal using the #FreeAssange hashtag!
JohnRawls wrote:Manning is not so clear cut because she was employed and obviously under NDA by the US government/contractors.

Irrelevant.

No NDA gives you the right to conceil crimes.

Not of your own and not of others.

...Which Hamas refuses and wasn't ordered by the […]

@skinster so you confess that Hamas committed ma[…]

^ Wouldn't happen though, since the Israelis are n[…]

I was actually unaware :lol: Before he was […]