Coronavirus: How Taiwan avoided crisis in spite of China links - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Beren wrote:Maybe Taiwan avoided crisis in spite of China links partly because they hadn't sucked up to China like Italy had. How about that? ;)

There doesn't seem to be a crisis in China like there once was considering how China has dealt with coronvirus.

Italy sucked up how again? If you mean Italy decided to work with China and therefore Italians deserve to suffer, fine. But at least some states Italy works with are loyal. Why are you upset?
skinster wrote:Why are you upset?

Who's upset? Both Italy and Serbia should be obviously grateful for China's help against the disease they've got from them while denouncing Europeans for not helping because they're suffering from the disease as well. God bless the Chinese for their willingness and abundant capacities to help their friends and allies! :lol:
skinster wrote:https://twitter.com/hausofIau/status/1239239961288851456?s=20

Really Skinster where on earth do you find the retards that write these tweets? Production comes from a combination of labour and capital. people without capital can produce very little.
This probably deserves its own thread or perhaps has beenmentioned elsewhere:

Taiwan is blaming the World Health Organization’s relationship with China for its failure to act on early warnings of human-to-human transmission of coronavirus.

Taiwanese health officials alerted WHO of the infectivity of coronavirus in late December 2019, but the organization failed to report the claims to other countries, according to a Financial Times report.

Weeks after receiving Taiwan’s warning, on Jan. 14, WHO repeated China’s claim that coronavirus was not contagious among humans. (RELATED: FLASHBACK Jan. 14: WHO Tells Everyone Don’t Worry Because China Says Coronavirus Isn’t Contagious)

Daily Caller
Verv wrote:This probably deserves its own thread or perhaps has beenmentioned elsewhere:

Taiwan is blaming the World Health Organization’s relationship with China for its failure to act on early warnings of human-to-human transmission of coronavirus.

Taiwanese health officials alerted WHO of the infectivity of coronavirus in late December 2019, but the organization failed to report the claims to other countries, according to a Financial Times report.

Weeks after receiving Taiwan’s warning, on Jan. 14, WHO repeated China’s claim that coronavirus was not contagious among humans. (RELATED: FLASHBACK Jan. 14: WHO Tells Everyone Don’t Worry Because China Says Coronavirus Isn’t Contagious)

Daily Caller

WHO made a comment, trusting China's actions. That has come back to tarnish WHO's reputation. If WHO doesn't act skeptically towards China, others will learn to not trust WHO.
Donna wrote:
Another curiosity of the pandemic is how little it is spreading in India (less than 400 cases and only 7 deaths), where the average temperature right now is around 35 C. It does make you wonder if warmer weather will have a retardant effect on the spread of the virus.

I wouldn't bet on it.

They haven't done a lot of testing so far. The population density is also quite high. If they don't resort to extreme measures, and I doubt they can, this could get very bad.
I think that Donna has a point and so does late.

But my take is that...

Those in India who have gotten it, undoubtedly got it abroad, and they are socially responsible citizens who probably came forward early and were working to cooperate with the authorities. I think none of them wants to be the one who is responsible for the virus getting out of control in India.

And so, the small numbers of people who went abroad and returned were self-quarantining and reporting a lot, which has kept the numbers low for a long time... And we may be about to see major problems. But, then again, as Donna said, it may be the case that the heat makes it spread less.

... yet, it is starting to spread a lot in places like Brazil, Malaysia, and India's neighbor, Pakistan, and I think that we will see it get worse because the cat may be out of the bag there.
Donna wrote:Another curiosity of the pandemic is how little it is spreading in India...

Frankly I do not believe that. Maybe India does not have sufficient ability or resources to test their sick enough. Maybe someone is suppressing information there.

EDIT: Oops. Member late has stated that. My bad.
Thunderhawk wrote:WHO made a comment, trusting China's actions. That has come back to tarnish WHO's reputation. If WHO doesn't act skeptically towards China, others will learn to not trust WHO.

The problem is, the WHO has no choice but to play China's game, as China holds the cards/power, and most of all, data. Can we really blame the WHO?

Donna wrote:Another curiosity of the pandemic is how little it is spreading in India (less than 400 cases and only 7 deaths), where the average temperature right now is around 35 C. It does make you wonder if warmer weather will have a retardant effect on the spread of the virus.

I was reading about this. The upshot is, they are not testing. That's why their "cases" are low.
Rancid wrote:The problem is, the WHO has no choice but to play China's game, as China holds the cards/power, and most of all, data. Can we really blame the WHO?

Agree to some extent. In fact, I blame the UN as a whole. The rules and the institutions were made when most of the places in the world now are not even independent and when those places gained independence problems arise. Many of them simply are not advanced enough to uphold the organisation's principles against biggie (or biggie wannabe's) manipulation.

Call me a tyrant or racist if that's the case, but if the voters are not up to standard I often consider removing (or at least suspending) substandard voters first.
Patrickov wrote:Call me a tyrant or racist if that's the case, but if the voters are not up to standard I often consider removing (or at least suspending) substandard voters first.

Preaching to the choir. I believe we should have an intelligence test at each voting booth. you have to pass it, before you are allowed to vote.
Rancid wrote:Preaching to the choir. I believe we should have an intelligence test at each voting booth. you have to pass it, before you are allowed to vote.

Agree in principle, but I admit technically it's not yet possible to conduct such a test in an entirely fair manner. Traditionally when such filtering got introduced the democracy quickly descended into oligarchy.

Especially when Down Syndrome is widely believed to hamper intelligence but there seem to be cases that some people with it are capable for government offices, not just voting.
Patrickov wrote:Agree in principle, but I admit technically it's not yet possible to conduct such a test in an entirely fair manner. Traditionally when such filtering got introduced the democracy quickly descended into oligarchy.

Especially when Down Syndrome is widely believed to hamper intelligence but there seem to be cases that some people with it are capable for government offices, not just voting.

Your right, I agree. That is the tragedy in all of this. :*(
There is no way to limit who can participate in a democracy in a way that doesn't undermine the very concept of democracy.

None of what you said implies it is legal to haras[…]

That was weird

No, it won't. Only the Democrats will be hurt by […]

No. There is nothing arbitrary about whether peop[…]