African-American Asphyxiated by Police in Minneapolis - Page 186 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

@Julian658 Black people are often arrested for being black, and not for committing any actual crime.

'Because they can get away with it': Why African Americans are blamed for crimes they didn't commit: Experts
African Americans make up 49% of wrongful convictions since 1989.

A panicked white woman in New York City's Central Park calls 911 to say that a black man threatened her and her dog.

A Florida mom claims two black men abducted her son, who had autism, and was later found dead.

But the harrowing story from Manhattan was just that -- a tall tale about about a potential assailant, but a bird watcher. And the supposedly terrified mother, police say, was never confronted by two abductors, but instead has been charged with killing her son.

Both the phony 911 call and the alleged kidnapping story follow, experts say, the stereotypical notion of black men as criminals and the ingrained racism that has existed in American society for generations. Although some may find it shocking that people are still resorting to these tropes, experts say that a culture of relative impunity has allowed it.

"It's because they can get away with it. They do it because the criminal justice system is not going to give them consequences," said Gloria Browne-Marshall, professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice.

Patricia Ripley, the Florida mom, was charged with first-degree premeditated murder on May 23 after Miami, Florida, police said that in her initial report her son, who was non-verbal, was abducted by "two black men" during a carjacking was a farce.

During the manhunt for the two vaguely described alleged abductors, police say they found surveillance video that allegedly showed 45-year-old Ripley attempting to drown her son in a canal. Police say neighbors heard screams and rescued the boy, but an hour later, Ripley allegedly drowned the child in another canal, police said. Ripley is expected to be arraigned on June 12 and it was not clear if she had an attorney. "We don't agree about what they said about my wife," said Aldo Ripley, the father of Alejandro Ripley, after Patricia Ripley's bond hearing on May 23.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/african-ameri ... d=70906828
SpecialOlympian wrote:Republicans don't want to bring black people into their tent because the fundamental core of their ideology is to advance whiteness.

Which is also the Democratic position, but to a lesser extent. Even if a viable third party were to emerge whiteness and the advancement of it would be core to their political goals because white people control the money and political power.

You miss the point:

The Reps want to be color blind.
The Dems prefer Race ID politics so they can practice condescending racism of low expectations. The white Democrats offer themselves as the saviors of the black people in America.

The idea that if Democrats in urban centers were replaced with Republicans that this would result in better outcomes for non-whites is laughable and nothing but a bad faith argument made by people who have no interest in sharing power with non-whites. For example, people who have been repeatedly carded for posting videos of black people being murdered. If anything, a Republican led urban governmental apparatus would be more interested in:

This is a hypothetical view. Not reality.

1) Expanding the powers of police and their capacity to enforce whiteness, such as Giuliani's Stop & Frisk policy. Which disproportionately targeted non-white New Yorkers.

A conservative NYC mayor generally reduces crime and homelessness.

2) More draconian punishments for minor crimes, specifically targeted at minorities to keep them in their place.

This keeps crime down. The best way to avoid the police is not to do crime.

3) A more gungho attitude toward private prisons and ensuring that they are fully housed and compensated for it.

That the local government feels it must support tax paying citizens is no surprise. That is why Cuomo is begging people with money to come back to the city. Many have left due to the BLM led violence.

Republican efforts to remove the black population from the Democratic voter base are not based in appeals to vote Republican. They are, correctly (from a strategic standpoint), focused on creating disillusionment with Democrats because they know they have nothing to offer black people who are not rich and able to operate in white circles of influence, such as Herman Cain. Further, they simply don't want them in their party. Your average Republican voter who jerks it to videos of black people being murdered does not want to hear his representative talk about how he will improve the lives of black Americans.

Republicans do not think blacks are inferior therefore they do not try to entice black people on the basis of skin color.
Godstud is correct. I do not expect an unrepentant racist like Julian to see this. The rest of us can see that HE is the one with the identity politics position. No blacks allowed.

I see that he made no attempt to refute my post.

I am surprised that the mods still allow gratuitious videos of people being killed. There is no point in posting a video of a white person being killed by police except to forward a really stupid notion that as long as a white person gets killed it is all even-up.
Julian658 wrote:You miss the point:

The Reps want to be color blind.

I got this far into your stupid post and lolled and thought, "Man, try harder Julian."

Drlee wrote:I am surprised that the mods still allow gratuitious videos of people being killed. There is no point in posting a video of a white person being killed by police except to forward a really stupid notion that as long as a white person gets killed it is all even-up.

If Julian is following Blackjack's lead and posting videos of black people being murdered for funsies then quote the post and @ Noemon because he will stomp that shit out quick. I haven't been following this thread very closely, but it would not surprise me if Julian was doing that.
https://www.oprahmag.com/life/relations ... th-racism/

Being "Color Blind" Doesn't Make You Not Racist—In Fact, It Can Mean the Opposite
    Experts say the belief makes improving things harder.

By Samantha Vincenty
    Jun 12, 2020

The idea of a color blind society, while well intentioned, leaves people without the language to discuss race and examine their own bias.

Color blindness relies on the concept that race-based differences don't matter, and ignores the realities of systemic racism.

Below, OprahMag writer Samantha Vincenty talks to sociologists Eduardo Bonilla-Silva and Meghan Burke about the problem with color blindness—and how to become anti-racist, instead.

To better understand how color blindness connects to bias—and counter-intuitively helps to uphold racism instead of rendering it powerless—I spoke to two people who literally wrote the book on the subject: Sociologists Eduardo Bonilla-Silva, author of Racism without Racists, and Meghan Burke, author of Colorblind Racism.

The concept of color blindness flourished after the civil rights movement.

"I'm not the first one to say this, but for many white folks, being labeled racist is among their worst fears," Burke says. "And as we're continuing to learn in this country, for many people of color, Black folks in particular, their greatest fear is not surviving an interaction with a police officer. So we're really talking about very different worlds of experience."

Burke says the roots of color blind racism were largely well-intentioned. "It borrows right from that last third of Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech, where he says that he wants people to see his kids for the content of their character, not the color of their skin. So I think it's easy for a lot of well-meaning white folks to hear that and say, 'Well, gosh, okay. Yeah. I don't want that to be the primary lens that I use to judge people's character."

Colorblindness denies the lived experiences of other people.

In order to understand how colorblindness winds up denying the lived experiences of other people, Burke continues, "it's also important to get clarity about what is meant by 'racism,' and some of the unintended harm that a colorblind framework can cause." To do that first requires a basic understanding of how Americans, and particularly white Americans, think about racism, and the big way sociologists believe that's evolved over the past 150 years.

So “I am color blind” now ends up meaning “I am racist and do not know it but I want to shield myself from the accusation”.
To ensure that white people are the enforcers of the law, which means they are not subject to laws while outgroups are.

Many police departments in the South started as slave catching patrols. So you do a little leg work and figure out what "enforcing whiteness" means. The North is not much better, although their police departments (or the precursors to them) were at least not based around the terrorizing of blacks to ensure that slavery could continue.
SpecialOlympian wrote:To ensure that white people are the enforcers of the law, which means they are not subject to laws while outgroups are.

So Black cops go around the streets doing that, too, being White enforcers of the law?

Pants-of-Dog wrote:So “I am color blind” now ends up meaning “I am racist and do not know it but I want to shield myself from the accusation”.

So if someone like Julian, who is a POC, says he's colorblind it means he hates people based on their skin pigmentation and doesn't even know he does.

But then again you were claiming POCs can't be racist in North America, what gives?

Pants-of-Dog wrote:I find most conservatives do not know what whiteness is, and simply assume we are talking about white people, and never look it up.

And then a few of them make moral accusations based on this misunderstanding.

Go ahead, just define "whiteness". And while at it, please also define "blackness".
Pants-of-dog wrote:Please note that a conservative has now provided an example of not knowing what whiteness is, and misunderstanding me in order to accuse me of a moral failing.

My point stands even stronger.

Go ahead and define it, if you make your words up that burden falls on you.

If not, then I'll simply follow this Smithsonian's infographic, which summarizes all the insanity of the current lefty identity politics. Under its concepts, listening to scientists as means to justify lockdowns, mask wearing and vaccines to deal with the pandemic is a form of whiteness since it's placing an "emphasis on the scientific method" :eh:
Pants-of-dog wrote:https://www.oprahmag.com/life/relationships-love/a32824297/color-blind-myth-racism/

Being "Color Blind" Doesn't Make You Not Racist—In Fact, It Can Mean the Opposite
    Experts say the belief makes improving things harder.

By Samantha Vincenty
    Jun 12, 2020

The idea of a color blind society, while well intentioned, leaves people without the language to discuss race and examine their own bias.

Color blindness relies on the concept that race-based differences don't matter, and ignores the realities of systemic racism.

Below, OprahMag writer Samantha Vincenty talks to sociologists Eduardo Bonilla-Silva and Meghan Burke about the problem with color blindness—and how to become anti-racist, instead.

To better understand how color blindness connects to bias—and counter-intuitively helps to uphold racism instead of rendering it powerless—I spoke to two people who literally wrote the book on the subject: Sociologists Eduardo Bonilla-Silva, author of Racism without Racists, and Meghan Burke, author of Colorblind Racism.

The concept of color blindness flourished after the civil rights movement.

"I'm not the first one to say this, but for many white folks, being labeled racist is among their worst fears," Burke says. "And as we're continuing to learn in this country, for many people of color, Black folks in particular, their greatest fear is not surviving an interaction with a police officer. So we're really talking about very different worlds of experience."

Burke says the roots of color blind racism were largely well-intentioned. "It borrows right from that last third of Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech, where he says that he wants people to see his kids for the content of their character, not the color of their skin. So I think it's easy for a lot of well-meaning white folks to hear that and say, 'Well, gosh, okay. Yeah. I don't want that to be the primary lens that I use to judge people's character."

Colorblindness denies the lived experiences of other people.

In order to understand how colorblindness winds up denying the lived experiences of other people, Burke continues, "it's also important to get clarity about what is meant by 'racism,' and some of the unintended harm that a colorblind framework can cause." To do that first requires a basic understanding of how Americans, and particularly white Americans, think about racism, and the big way sociologists believe that's evolved over the past 150 years.

So “I am color blind” now ends up meaning “I am racist and do not know it but I want to shield myself from the accusation”.

With PC people there is no logic. Color blindness is the ultimate goal in a non-racist world. That was the dream of MLK. I know quite well many want to cling to the noble victim status, but color blindness is the ultimate goal.
Drlee wrote:Godstud is correct. I do not expect an unrepentant racist like Julian to see this. The rest of us can see that HE is the one with the identity politics position. No blacks allowed.

I see that he made no attempt to refute my post.

I am surprised that the mods still allow gratuitious videos of people being killed. There is no point in posting a video of a white person being killed by police except to forward a really stupid notion that as long as a white person gets killed it is all even-up.

SpecialOlympian wrote:Are you acting like a retard on purpose? Do I need to dumb things down for you?

Go ahead and do it. Let's see what idea is dumber here: Black cops being white enforcers of the law, AKA "enforcing whiteness", or that perhaps not everything, including culture, has to do with race. Let's see if these ideas hold up to scrutiny when taking them to their logical conclusion.

You are also free to comment on whether stuff like using science to justify the lockdowns done to stop the pandemic - which follows quite directly from the Smithsonian's infographic - is a form of whiteness. In fact, let's take it even further: Are people who are against lockdowns like @blackjack21 or the Trump supporters who in fact went out to protests violating the stay at home orders actually less culturally white than those African Americans who support them, based on science, to stop the spread of SARS-CoV2? :eh:

If you think all or some of the above traits of whiteness mentioned by the Smithsonian are bullshit, I actually agree. The one about using the scientific method, for instance, is perhaps one of the most serious ones (but is far from the only one) and sounds like the 19th century racist crap that came straight out of Europe used to justify colonialism in Africa and elsewhere at the time, just switch "culture" for "race" and you get that, pretty much. But then again you would have to be specific about what "whiteness" is and thus about what is "enforcing whiteness" supposed to mean.
    Racial Color-Blindness and Diversity Education

Racial color-blindness refers to the denial, distortion, and minimization of race and racism in the U.S. (Bonilla-Silva, 2003; Thompson & Neville, 1999). Scholars have conceptualized racial color-blindness as a set of attitudes, or ideology, that reflects unawareness of various forms of racism (e.g., institutional and blatant) and White privilege (Bell, 2003; Neville, Lilly, Duran, Lee, & Browne, 2000). Previous research among White students indicates that greater racial color-blindness is associated with higher levels of modern racism and belief in a just world (Neville et al., 2000), negative attitudes toward affirmative action (Awad, Cokely, & Ravitch, 2005), and greater irrational fear of racial minorities (Spanierman & Heppner, 2004). Moreover, higher racial color-blindness also has been associated with lower levels of openness to diversity, less engagement in diversity courses and campus-sponsored diversity activities (Spanierman, Neville, Liao, Hammer, & Wang, 2008), and more positive perceptions of campus climate than those with lower color-blind racial attitudes (Worthington, Navarro, Loewy, & Hart, 2008).

Taken together, these findings attest to the importance of addressing students’ racial color-blindness and thus increasing students’ awareness of racism and White privilege as critical elements of diversity education. Moreover, one form of racial color-blindness that is particularly relevant for White university students is unawareness of White privilege, as diversity education has a strong emphasis on educating White students about White privilege (Adams et al., 2007; Johnson, 2006). Thus, additional research is warranted that examines how White students respond to White privilege education.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... po=9.72222

So color blindness makes one more racist because it makes one blind to racism.
wat0n wrote:Go ahead and do it. Let's see what idea is dumber here: Black cops being white enforcers of the law, AKA "enforcing whiteness", or that perhaps not everything, including culture, has to do with race. Let's see if these ideas hold up to scrutiny when taking them to their logical conclusion.

You are also free to comment on whether stuff like using science to justify the lockdowns done to stop the pandemic - which follows quite directly from the Smithsonian's infographic - is a form of whiteness. In fact, let's take it even further: Are people who are against lockdowns like @blackjack21 or the Trump supporters who in fact went out to protests violating the stay at home orders actually less culturally white than those African Americans who support them, based on science, to stop the spread of SARS-CoV2? :eh:

If you think all or some of the above traits of whiteness mentioned by the Smithsonian are bullshit, I actually agree. The one about using the scientific method, for instance, is perhaps one of the most serious ones (but is far from the only one) and sounds like the 19th century racist crap that came straight out of Europe used to justify colonialism in Africa and elsewhere at the time, just switch "culture" for "race" and you get that, pretty much. But then again you would have to be specific about what "whiteness" is and thus about what is "enforcing whiteness" supposed to mean.

Lmao you're dumb as shit bro. Nice job immediately pivoting because you have meaningful nothing to say.
I previously used an example of a black security guard being ordered to follow black kids around the store to prevent shoplifting, and explained how this is an example of a black person reinforcing racism and racist stereotypes because of their position.

The same could be said for cops: no matter what the colour of their skin, they help enforce whiteness. And this is because whiteness is inherent in the system, and so anyone who actively supports the system (like a cop) ends up reinforcing whiteness despite the colour of their skin.

You just don't know what lurks within. :lol:[…]

My take from this discussion is that @QatzelOk w[…]

Semafor. :lol: The Intercept :lol:

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This is why they are committed to warmongering.[…]