China pokes US in the eye with global digital rules proposal - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Atlantis wrote:It sets a precedent. If Europe and China take the same measures against Facebook or other digital platforms, corporate America is going to take a hit.

The European Court of Justice has already ruled against data transfers from Europe to the US because the US does not respect our private data.

The 5-eyes alliances is far more intrusive than China will ever be.

How this all plays out may change after the 2020 election. There are many things on hold at the present time. Interestingly, de Tocqueville noted this cessation of government action during campaign season. The difference between then and now appears to be the earlier onset of campaignitis in politicians and their parties.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.
I think Mr Twain said it best, and earlier than most;

Mark Twain:
They are a harmless race when white men either let them alone or treat them no worse than dogs; in fact they are almost entirely harmless anyhow, for they seldom think of resenting the vilest insults or the cruelest injuries. They are quiet, peaceable, tractable, free from drunkenness, and they are as industrious as the day is long. A disorderly Chinaman is rare, and a lazy one does not exist.
- Roughing It
This was a surprisingly smart play by China since they're usually comically bad at "soft power."

I think we all know how this will go through; it will be ignored and people will act like the proposal didn't happen.

After all, what danger does something like TikTok really pose? That China finds out which Korean dances high school girls are imitating this week? It's obviously about something else.

I think I wrote this before but the west would be smart to try and compete qualitatively against China since any successful destabilization of that country might only make the situation worse. It's too bad that there is so little courage to go against the anti-economic growth and other traitorous movements in the west. Trump is not perfect but he's the closest thing to an appropriate reaction that America is going to produce.

Also, not a lot of people realize this but I'm not sure there is any real nexus between de-growth and anti-consumerism. Normies need jobs, anti-consumerism is a choice. If anything, technology only makes it even easier to do in some ways, such as the dudes growing their own food in apartment buildings with 'ponic systems. The truth is that people are just not as interested in it as they like to imagine.
Wulfschilde wrote: such as the dudes growing their own food in apartment buildings with 'ponic systems.

You mean trust fund kids blowing huge amounts of money on uneconomical fads. There is no way they're paying less than $5+ per singular tomato or strawberry with such setups. Of course most won't follow suit.

China's greatest soft power display since the 90's has been to just do nothing overly reactionary to obvious provocations. And it's the best course of action possible, because in 15-20 years they will be ahead in quantity AND quality on ALL fronts.
Igor Antunov wrote:You mean trust fund kids blowing huge amounts of money on uneconomical fads. There is no way they're paying less than $5+ per singular tomato or strawberry with such setups. Of course most won't follow suit.

China's greatest soft power display since the 90's has been to just do nothing overly reactionary to obvious provocations. And it's the best course of action possible, because in 15-20 years they will be ahead in quantity AND quality on ALL fronts.

I generally agree with you but you're wrong about the cost of hydroponics. $5 a tomato man?
Wulfschilde wrote:I generally agree with you but you're wrong about the cost of hydroponics. $5 a tomato man?

Yeah dude in a limited space the costs are ridiculous, hydroponics are more expensive than regular home gardens, and those are totally not worth it, I speak from 1st hand experience. I tried to cultivate an economical veggie patch network in my backyard. Nope. Waste f time and money. It's much cheaper just buying groceries. And I have 600sqm to work with. Rooftops considerably less.

People tend to forget that the French now have a s[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]