Japan To Dump One Million Tons Of Radioactive Fukushima Water Into The Pacific; IAEA Approves - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/japan ... a-approves
"Last week we wrote that ten years after the Fukushima disaster, Japan had finally come "clean", and admitted that it is "unavoidable" that it would have to dump radioactive Fukushima water in the Pacific Ocean. Fast forward to today when moments ago Kyodo confirmed what we already knew: the Japanese government decided to release treated radioactive water accumulating at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant into the sea, having determined "it poses no safety concerns to humans or the environment" despite worries of local fishermen and neighboring countries."
1.25 million tonnes of radioactive water at the site is processed to filter out all dangerous materials except for tritium that is considered to be relatively harmless. But when tritium is ingested, it can raise cancer risks. Japanese researchers developed a new filter enabling the removal of water containing radioactive tritium in 2018. The filter can be used to remove radioactive substance tritium from water stored at the Fukushima No.1 nuclear power plant. Japan should invest in the new filter to clean up the processed water before releasing it to the ocean prematurely. Storage tanks for treated water will be full in two years and there is enough time to consult Tatsuhiko Ihara who invented the tritium filter.

OSAKA -- A team of researchers from Kindai University and private companies in western Japan has developed a new filter enabling the removal of water containing radioactive tritium.

The researchers hope their technology will eventually be used in processing water leaking from the Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s crippled Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant. The wastewater contains tritium but the radioactive material cannot be removed with the current filtering technology.

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen. Water containing tritium has chemical features almost identical to water with ordinary hydrogen, and separating tritium water is difficult.

The research team, comprising professor Tatsuhiko Ihara of Kindai University specializing in inorganic material chemistry, and researchers from Osaka-based Toyo Aluminium K.K. and others, has developed an aluminium filter with extremely tiny holes 5 nanometers or less in diameter each. The filter can stop vapors of tritium water, and the separation rate was "almost 100 percent," according to a team representative.

At the Fukushima No. 1 plant, over 800,000 metric tons of radioactive water that leaked from the facility is stored on the premises. The research team will cooperate with local companies in Fukushima Prefecture and others to develop equipment that can be put to actual use to separate tritium.

The radioactive material exists in the natural environment, and the Nuclear Regulation Authority maintains that there should be no problem in releasing water containing tritium into the sea if its concentration levels are lowered sufficiently. This stance faces strong oppositions from local fishermen and others who worry about negative rumors about their catches due to the discharge of such water. The government has set up a panel of experts to examine how to process tritium water.
Last edited by ThirdTerm on 14 Apr 2021 04:20, edited 2 times in total.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Dumb idea: Build a nuclear power plant along a ridge of major tectonic activity.

Dumb idea: Dump radioactive water into the ocean.

Don't worry about it. This is barely an inconvenience.

I think we should try nuking hurricanes by the way.
Rancid wrote:Don't worry about it. This is barely an inconvenience.

I think we should try nuking hurricanes by the way.

Wasn't there a sequel of Sharknado that tried that?

It's been cleaned up as well as possible, so if you don't dump it in the ocean, there's no other real place for it to go unless Japan develops a space program and just rockets it into the heavens.
late wrote:It's called the dilution solution.

It'll be fine, while it sounds like a lot, the ocean is vast. You have to dump radioactive waste hotter than that for years to screw up the environment.

It still affects the immediate area. And Japan are big on fishing. So how far are their fleets going to go out to sea now?

I think people think the ocean is fair game but recently its ecosystem has been brought to light by coral decline and its links to holding back carbon. We have just had a big Netflix film that explains that the Ocean will have no major fish in it by 2048 and that will have an ecosystem collapse that affects all major problems we face today and you say it's ok to dump radioactivity in the Pacific, an ocean that you share and where the Thermohaline circulation pushes all that radioactivity towards the East Coast of America? It is not OK. And if you buy and eat Asian fish it really isn't ok. I don't know if the Japanese have exhausted all avenues and could only come up with this or not, but the idea that this is ok or that we will have no repercussions from polluting the ocean because it is vast is someone who doesn't understand that nuclear waste takes centuries to decay and will spread around the world via currents in that time.
Goranhammer wrote:It's been cleaned up as well as possible, so if you don't dump it in the ocean, there's no other real place for it to go unless Japan develops a space program and just rockets it into the heavens.

Japan does have a space program by the way. They were the guys that sent a satellite to collect rocks off an asteroid. Very cool and impressive. it took like 1-2 years to complete the mission.
B0ycey wrote:
It still affects the immediate area. And Japan are big on fishing. So how far are their fleets going to go out to sea now?

I think people think the ocean is fair game but recently its ecosystem has been brought to light by coral decline and its links to holding back carbon. We have just had a big Netflix film that explains that the Ocean will have no major fish in it by 2048 and that will have an ecosystem collapse that affects all major problems we face today and you say it's ok to dump radioactivity in the Pacific, an ocean that you share and where the Thermohaline circulation pushes all that radioactivity towards the East Coast of America? It is not OK. And if you buy and eat Asian fish it really isn't ok. I don't know if the Japanese have exhausted all avenues and could only come up with this or not, but the idea that this is ok or that we will have no repercussions from polluting the ocean because it is vast is someone who doesn't understand that nuclear waste takes centuries to decay and will spread around the world via currents in that time.

You get radiation every second of every day. It's a question of how much. That won't harm even the locals. If it was airborne, that would be different, but still a local problem.

The Brits used to grind up their nuclear waste and pump it all into the ocean. The locals started getting all sorts of cancers and other diseases. That concentration was thousands of times higher than this will be, and went on for years.

There is a medical study in Japan, it tracks the health of people that got exposed to radiation by the nuclear blasts in WW2. Last I knew, it was still going, meaning some were still alive, all these years later.

Not saying that's a good thing, just that people get overly wound up about some things, and this is one of them.
Goranhammer wrote:It's been cleaned up as well as possible, so if you don't dump it in the ocean, there's no other real place for it to go unless Japan develops a space program and just rockets it into the heavens.

It would be interesting to understand why dumping in the ocean is the only option actually. I'm assuming building a lead based basin underground within Fukushima which can then be filled in with concrete hasn't been considered due to cost or maybe it is more complicated than that. Although I suspect dumping one million tons of waste is going to affect them the most so I do hope they know what the fuck they are doing. But considering you are American and this may wash into your waters, if you are OK with this then so am I. :lol:
late wrote:You get radiation every second of every day. It's a question of how much. That won't harm even the locals. If it was airborne, that would be different, but still a local problem.

The Brits used to grind up their nuclear waste and pump it all into the ocean. The locals started getting all sorts of cancers and other diseases. That concentration was thousands of times higher than this will be, and went on for years.

There is a medical study in Japan, it tracks the health of people that got exposed to radiation by the nuclear blasts in WW2. Last I knew, it was still going, meaning some were still alive, all these years later.

Not saying that's a good thing, just that people get overly wound up about some things, and this is one of them.

It may be treated but it is currently in tanks and from my understanding they cannot remove all the radioactive waste from them. To me it would make more sense to build one big tank and pump it with concrete than sticking it into the sea. I understand that is expensive but if all Japans neighbours are calling this dangerous and so are their fisheries then I would say the Japanese PR bullshit is just that as their neighbours are going mad over this and rightly so. It is also radioactive waste and significantly more than the few particles that can get through our atmosphere I might add which take decades to decay. And given that plastic is effecting the fish in our sea, I don't understand why you think radioactive waste that is harmful to us will be ok for small fish in any case. So we will have a ocean ecological event that will happen in Asia I expect. Nonetheless given Japanese currents head towards America and they are happy for this to happen, then I would be fine for all this to head your direction actually and then come back to me in a decades time when your fish stock is deemed unedable.
B0ycey wrote:
It may be treated but it is currently in tanks and from my understanding they cannot remove all the radioactive waste from them. To me it would make more sense to build one big tank and pump it with concrete than sticking it into the sea. I understand that is expensive but if all Japans neighbours are calling this dangerous and so are their fisheries then I would say the Japanese PR bullshit is just that as their neighbours are going mad over this and rightly so. It is also radioactive waste and significantly more than the few particles that can get through our atmosphere I might add which take decades to decay. And given that plastic is effecting the fish in our sea, I don't understand why you think radioactive waste that is harmful to us will be ok for small fish in any case. So we will have a ocean ecological event that will happen in Asia I expect. Nonetheless given Japanese currents head towards America and they are happy for this to happen, then I would be fine for all this to head your direction actually and then come back to me in a decades time when your fish stock is deemed inedible.

So, stuck in panic mode..

The best way to dispose of most nuclear waste is in geologically stable deep sea beds.

The problem here is almost completely political, people don't understand and they are afraid.
late wrote:So, stuck in panic mode..

I would say that yes. They haven't dumped it into the sea for ten years and now they are running out of tanks it is deemed safe? :?:

The mere fact that it is radioactive means it is dangerous. Saying we can tolerate xyz of radiation is missing the point that we don't live in an x-ray theatre. All fish who live in the Japanese sea will be exposed to this waste and will continue to be exposed to this waste forever once they dump this into the ocean. By eating Japanese fish we also expose ourselves to this radiation. I have no doubt this is about cost rather than safety but I don't understand why they want to dump into the sea fully. But I don't trust the Japanese PR bullshit and neither should their neighbours. I know it is expensive to bury radioactive waste but that is the consequence of a nuclear power plant that explodes under your watch. It shouldn't be a consequences for Japans neighbours in any case many if whom have costal communities that rely on healthy fish stock.
B0ycey wrote:
I would say that yes. They haven't dumped it into the sea for ten years and now they are running out of tanks it is deemed safe? :?:

The mere fact that it is radioactive means it is dangerous.

You get hit with radiation every second of every day.

If they have a short moratorium on fishing in the immediate area, no one will ever be in danger. The idea that that poses a risk a long distance away is ridiculous.

Real Progressives study energy issues...
late wrote:You get hit with radiation every second of every day.

If they have a short moratorium on fishing in the immediate area, no one will ever be in danger. The idea that that poses a risk a long distance away is ridiculous.

Real Progressives study energy issues...

I told you that decaying radioactive waste is not the same as emitted radioactivity that has been filtered out by the atmosphere. Besides, if this water is safe as you claim, then Japan should source it into their water treatment plants and let their citizens drink that water. I doubt the Korean peninsula would give a shit if Japan drank their own waste as long as it doesn't pollute their waters. And this isn't a one off event in any case. It is to continue for ten years and will infiltrate fishing stock in the meantime because they are unable to clean all radioactivity out of the tanked water.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]