Chauvin found guilty of all 3 charges in death of George Floyd - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

It takes a real special brain to come into the Chauvin thread and say the real problem is that police aren't hard enough on black Americans. Good job, Rich. Your brain is very good.

What the fuck point are you trying to make? That police is brutality is inevitable, so why don't we copy the (imagined and hypothetical) more effective brutality of the countries that don't have our horrific multiculturalism? Do you think black Americans have a certain American exceptionalism to their ability to commit crimes that other nations' law enforcement do not have to deal with? Are you a broke brained weirdo who had to find a way to shoehorn black crime statistics into the Chauvin thread? I am just asking questions!
SpecialOlympian wrote:It takes a real special brain to come into the Chauvin thread and say the real problem is that police aren't hard enough on black Americans. Good job, Rich. Your brain is very good.

You don't have a good track record on interpreting my posts. You if I remember correctly were the poster who said "so you are a flat earther", when I said I believed the Earth was an oblate spheroid.

What the fuck point are you trying to make?

Multiculturalism doesn't make for nice policing. Irish Americans in recent times have probably been associated with policing more than any other ethnicity in the United States. Yet at the same time the Irish Catholics in Northern Ireland were the victims of brutal and racist policing. Given the immense difficulties we British have had in establishing, good policing and the rule of law in Northern Ireland, I would be hesitant before criticising others attempts to police the ghettos of the United States.
The suburbs of Toronto are far more multicultural than almost any US city, yet they are also some of the safest cities in the world.

Also:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... articles.1

Abstract
    Many scholars argue that diverse preferences and coordination failure stemming from high ethnic diversity results in high social frictions, leading to socio-political failure. Criminological theories suggest that crime is driven by very similar processes. The specialized literature on civil war, however, reports a diversity dividend, arguing that when two large groups (polarization) make up a society, the risk of armed violence is increased. Using data on global homicide rates from the period 1995–2013 for over 140 countries, we find that ethnic heterogeneity is associated with homicide rates in an inverted U-shape relationship. Measures of ethnic polarization confirm these results directly. The results suggests that ethnic polarization and ethnic dominance rather than diversity are what matter for personal security measured as homicide rates. The conditional effect of high diversity and income inequality is associated with lower homicide rates, results that reject the view that societal heterogeneity and income inequality drive social dislocation. Several possible intervening variables, such as unemployment among males and youth, ethnic exclusion and discrimination, good governance and institutional quality, as well as several demographic and political variables, do not affect the basic results. It seems that the heavy emphasis placed on ethnic diversity for explaining social dislocation and violence, in so far as it relates to a country’s homicide rate, seems to be misplaced.
If you ask white people around the world (here's where I say "I have white friends" and shit), they will tell you that white Americans come off INCREDIBLY entitled, lazy, and inarticulate as compared to paler-skinned humans born and raised in other nations. White Americans have grown to expect much and contribute much less in comparison, and due to a weak justice system are really not afraid of incarceration as they are in other countries.

Anecdotal. Take of it what you want.
Anecdotally, I have heard white people love being imprisoned (compared to other countries) because it's the only place they don't have to be afraid of being cancelled for their inherent racist tendencies. They can just join a white power prison gang and finally let loose. In fact, my white friends have told me that they live in such squalor and filth that going to prison is like a vacation for them.
Ganeshas Rat wrote:For example, industrious people of SAR and Zimbabwe.

US, Russia & Rwanda top the world in mass incarceration rates per 100k people.

Over the life course, about 1 in every 1,000 black men can expect to be killed by police in the US.

PNAS(Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA) wrote:
Police violence is a leading cause of death for young men in the United States. Over the life course, about 1 in every 1,000 black men can expect to be killed by police. Risk of being killed by police peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for men and women and for all racial and ethnic groups. Black women and men and American Indian and Alaska Native women and men are significantly more likely than white women and men to be killed by police. Latino men are also more likely to be killed by police than are white men.

Black people 40% of those arrested for drug violations.

The Drug War, Mass Incarceration and Race wrote:People of color experience discrimination at every stage of the judicial system and are more likely to be stopped, searched, arrested, convicted, harshly sentenced, and saddled with a lifelong criminal record. This is particularly the case for drug law violations. Black people comprise 13 percent of the U.S. population and are consistently documented by the U.S. government to use drugs at similar rates to people of other races. But Black people comprise 29 percent of those arrested for drug law violations and nearly 40 percent of those incarcerated in state or federal prison for drug law violations.

Similarly, Latinos make up 18 percent of the U.S. population but comprise 38 percent of people incarcerated in federal prisons for drug offenses.14 In 2013, Latinos comprised almost half (47 percent) of all cases in federal courts for drug offenses. National-level data on arrests of people of Latino ethnicity are incomplete. Yet among drug arrest incidents in 2015 in which ethnicity was reported, more than 20 percent of those arrested were Latino. State and local level data show that Latinos are disproportionately arrested and incarcerated for drug possession violations.
noemon wrote:
Over the life course, about 1 in every 1,000 black men can expect to be killed by police in the US.

Black people 40% of those arrested for drug violations.

Reactionaries who have issues with the Chauvin verdict don't care about any of this. They correctly recognize that their conservative ideology can not provide solutions for them, nor can it make their life better in material terms. Therefore, the purpose of government is to maintain an unequal status quo. The tortured logic is that if the government can not help you, then it can at least make other people less equal than you. They consider this to be good, and the ultimate expression of political power.

This is why, as I have stated consistently, rightwing/reactionary/conservative ideology is morally bankrupt and more of a personality disorder than a political alignment.
Rancid wrote:I recall reading about this a few months ago. Basically, there are a few strategies you can do when you prosecute. You can lay out varying degrees of a charge. Then let the jury select which are the appropriate one's to be guilty on. I recall reading/hearing that this is actually a VERY risky strategy, so it's not done very often. It has something to do with the fact that when juries acquit on a higher charge, they are actually much more likely to also acquit on the lower charges. Whereas, if you just start with the lower charge, you are more likely to get a guilty verdict. Basically, the prosecution took a risk here. They did this because they figured that they can get him guilty on at least one of these charges, but this move is still considered risky, as you increase the chance of losing them all.

The other strategy, is to go for a lesser charge to increase the odds you get a guilty verdict of some kind, even if it's lax for the crime. Basically, just going for a win of any kind.

The other is to simply try on the highest offense the prosecution thinks the person committed. This is much more common. The prosecution can focus all of their energy on just proving this one charge.

In general, the defendant has the right to demand a lesser included charge, as was done here. A defendant can argue that it was really third degree murder...not second.

Here, Chauvin's lawyer demanded the lesser included, but then argued his client was completely innocent. It was a terrible strategy. Defendants HAVE to be given the evidence that will be shown at trial. The instant the lawyer saw the video of the other cops begging Chauvin to get off Floyd's neck, he was dead...there was no possibility for an acquittal. He should've argued for a lesser charge or pled it out. I think they were really hoping the fact that he was a cop would get him off....as it has so many times in the past.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]