Florida Bans CRT in Schools - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#15176929
It's obviously a bunk subject and should be nuked from orbit and I find it unsurprising why it is finally being rolled back and openly under attack, it finally started threatening those with real institutional influence, those you can never threaten in the united states. ;

Daniel A. Farber and Suzanna Sherry argue that critical race theory lacks supporting evidence, relies on an implausible belief that reality is socially constructed, rejects evidence in favor of storytelling, rejects truth and merit as expressions of political dominance, and rejects the rule of law. Additionally, they posit that the anti-meritocratic tenets in critical race theory, critical feminism, and critical legal studies may unintentionally lead to antisemitic and anti-Asian implications.
#15176932
Igor Antunov wrote:It's obviously a bunk subject and should be nuked from orbit and I find it unsurprising why it is finally being rolled back and openly under attack, it finally started threatening those with real institutional influence, those you can never threaten in the united states. ;

You mean the Asians, @Igor Antunov? It's the Asians, right? :eh:
#15176933
Florida policy also now bans the 1619 Project from being taught.

I agree that public teaching shouldn't be political or moralizing, but I think this likely goes beyond that.

Locally, the debate has surged, as well. In Florida, a teacher is suing a local school district for allegedly retaliating after she spoke up about racism and hung a Black Lives Matter flag.

You shouldn't be doing political activism in a public school. The cause is irrelevant. If you disagree, imagine a teacher hanging a Confederate Flag in class and going on about pro-Confederate and pro-Trump rants. I'm sure that happens too, but it shouldn't.

We need to de-politicize our classrooms and do our best to be as objective as possible.

Edit: I don't think the 1619 Project should be taught in public schools. "The 1619 Project, inaugurated with a special issue of The New York Times Magazine, challenges us to reframe U.S. history by marking the year when the first enslaved Africans arrived on Virginia soil as our nation's foundational date".

This is factually incorrect. The nation was founded, legally, on July 4, 1776. The 1619 Project specifically argues that 1619 is the founding year of the nation, and then contains essays that attempt to convince the reader that this claim is true. It is a political activism project based on untrue historical claims based around subjective criteria, not legal ones.
#15176934
Istanbuller wrote:Countering cancel culture and woke-ism by canceling them. Good move, Florida.
Nice right-wing virtue signaling, there. :knife: You know, this is a prime example of cancel-culture, which cuntservatives have no problem using, when they want to.

Big surprise Florida doing this. There was still segregation in Florida, when I visited in 1990.
#15176935
Unthinking Majority wrote:Florida policy also now bans the 1619 Project from being taught.

I agree that public teaching shouldn't be political or moralizing, but I think this likely goes beyond that.


You shouldn't be doing political activism in a public school. The cause is irrelevant. If you disagree, imagine a teacher hanging a Confederate Flag in class and going on about pro-Confederate and pro-Trump rants. I'm sure that happens too, but it shouldn't.

We need to de-politicize our classrooms and do our best to be as objective as possible.

Edit: I don't think the 1619 Project should be taught in public schools. "The 1619 Project, inaugurated with a special issue of The New York Times Magazine, challenges us to reframe U.S. history by marking the year when the first enslaved Africans arrived on Virginia soil as our nation's foundational date".

This is factually incorrect. The nation was founded, legally, on July 4, 1776. The 1619 Project specifically argues that 1619 is the founding year of the nation, and then contains essays that attempt to convince the reader that this claim is true. It is a political activism project based on untrue historical claims based around subjective criteria, not legal ones.


I agree about the political activism, but these things could and indeed should be discussed in civics class. They are part of the American debate, for good or bad, and so warrant a discussion in that context. Same should apply to CRT itself, including discussing its philosophical foundations.
#15176936
Saeko wrote:
I never want to hear any Republicans make a goddamn PEEP about "Muh senzership!" ever again! >:

I probably need to do more research on CRT, but as of now I don't agree with blanket CRT bans.

However, would you be ok if police in Florida put anti-BLM bumper stickers on their squad cars? Or wear those Thin Blue Line patches on their uniforms? Both are totally inappropriate for a neutral apolitical public servant to do. So they're banned. Public servants are employees of the state, they don't have free speech rights while performing their duties.

As far as I know, school boards are allowed to determine curriculum rules? I'm sure if some conservative teachers in California started putting Confederate Flags up in their classrooms and taught that slavery was justified the school boards would ban that speech and the teacher would be disciplined. If they taught holocaust denial in the classroom they'd be disciplined. So let's not pretend right and left aren't moralizing and politicizing our classrooms constantly.

What we really have here is a culture war.
#15176937
wat0n wrote:I agree about the political activism, but these things could and indeed should be discussed in civics class. They are part of the American debate, for good or bad, and so warrant a discussion in that context. Same should apply to CRT itself, including discussing its philosophical foundations.

Students can discuss them I suppose, and debate. You can present ideas depending on how its taught. But is it appropriate to teach the 1619 Project as if it is fact? To make it curriculum on that basis?

I agree with the point on CRT. You can present ideas and theories, but you have to be careful as a teacher what you support as fact. I suppose it all depends on the context of how something is being taught, not merely what is presented in a classroom. Hanging a BLM flag or Confederate Flag on the wall and a teacher supporting its meaning is different than showing the flags to students and discussing their meaning without a teacher getting on their pulpit or taking a moral stand on them.
#15176938
Unthinking Majority wrote:Students can discuss them I suppose, and debate. You can present ideas depending on how its taught. But is it appropriate to teach the 1619 Project as if it is fact? To make it curriculum on that basis?

I agree with the point on CRT. You can present ideas and theories, but you have to be careful as a teacher what you support as fact. I suppose it all depends on the context of how something is being taught, not merely what is presented in a classroom. Hanging a BLM flag or Confederate Flag on the wall and a teacher supporting its meaning is different than showing the flags to students and discussing their meaning without a teacher getting on their pulpit or taking a moral stand on them.


I agree and I don't think either should be presented as a fact, that's why I'd leave it for civics class. There could also be a debate about the 1619 Project and present both sides of that debate as has been done by historians (there is no agreement among them about it as far as I'm aware), and up to what extent are its claims accurate. I don't see anything wrong in at least having that sort of discussion.
#15176940
Critical Race Theory is straight up Racist, so of course it should be banned.

It's a form of hate speech. That universities allow such shit these days is a good reason Australia needs HECS Fees reform. Tax payers shouldn't be forced to pay for people to learn that Racist bigoted crap. The debt should be between the University and the student. Not the Tax payer and the student.

Igor Antunov wrote:It's obviously a bunk subject and should be nuked from orbit and I find it unsurprising why it is finally being rolled back and openly under attack, it finally started threatening those with real institutional influence, those you can never threaten in the united states. ;


It's a shame the Free Palestine movement allowed that racial shit to infiltrate their otherwise nobel anti-zionist BDS movement.

Godstud wrote:Nice right-wing virtue signaling, there. :knife: You know, this is a prime example of cancel-culture, which cuntservatives have no problem using, when they want to.


It's not cancel culture..... It's taxpayers telling the government to stop spending their hard earned dollars on indoctrinating people with Racist anti-caucasian crap.

It's not cancel culture, it's democracy in action.
#15176973
Education is not racist, @colliric and you saying that CRT is, shows you have no fucking clue what it is. Go read about it a bit then get back to me.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/critical-race-theory

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/what- ... ck/2021/05
#15176989
Saeko wrote:I thought it was pretty clear he was talking about the Sentinelese? :eh:

I stand corrected, @Saeko. Thank you. :)
#15176993
I suppose it really isn't, but talking about education and Florida, in the same sentence, certainly feels like an oxymoron.

Sure, they will make it worse, but it's pretty awful already. It's Southern culture..
#15176994
This law.could make it illegal for teachers to discuss the impacts of the new voter laws, if those impacts can be shown to be disproportionately negative for people of colour.

In other words, this seems like a tool to stifle dissent.
#15177035
Godstud wrote:Education is not racist, @colliric and you saying that CRT is, shows you have no fucking clue what it is. Go read about it a bit then get back to me.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/critical-race-theory

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/what- ... ck/2021/05


Critical race theory is loosely unified by two common themes: first, that white supremacy, with its societal or structural racism, exists and maintains power through the law;[6] and second, that transforming the relationship between law and racial power, and also achieving racial emancipation and anti-subordination more broadly, is possible.[7]


Are you saying Wikipedia is wrong?

Critical Race Theory is racist since it implies White Supremacism still "exists and maintains power through the Law". That is categorically racist against the majority of Caucasians and fosters a racist attitude against hiring them, or treating them with respect.

There's way too many examples where proponents of CRT proved themselves to habour racist attitudes against Caucasians generally.
#15177042
KurtFF8 wrote:This isn't even close to following form the first part of what you wrote.


It fosters a racist attitude against the hiring of Caucasians and the treatment of Caucasians with respect.

CRT proponents have proven themselves to be generally racist against white people time and time again.

Several recent examples in my country of CRT believing primary school teachers forcing the young caucasian Boys(as well as boys of other races for the other thing mentioned) to stand up and "apologize for your sex and your race".
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 16

The Democrats believe in the exact same shit thes[…]

Did You Get Vaccinated?

How insanely spoiled and entitled do you have to […]

@Godstud , if the adults have been vaccinated, t[…]

If you see that money is status points, then you […]