Afghan President flees country-Islamic Republic surrenders. Taliban takes country. - Page 18 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

annatar1914 wrote:Anyway, the man allowed his own son to become a suicide bomber in an attack in 2017. I'd say he's pretty hardcore.

colliric wrote:You can't control what your kids do when they become teenagers and young adults.

If you have any sons of your own, you know that if they want to become suicide bombers, you can't really stop them. You just have to hope that they find less dangerous work that is just as rewarding.

colliric wrote:America's actual current closest ally is Israel, not the UK.

America's three best allies are Israel, Colombia, and Canadian mining companies - all of them love how well the USA displaces local populations with violence.
Beren wrote:Maybe we just shouldn't make such a fuss about a Taliban leader's son becoming a suicide bomber? I really believe it was a natural choice for him as well as his family. He could have been better off with it than if he had been an accountant for life. :lol:

In Islamist terms, it was actually an excellent career move. Becoming a 'martyr' is the ultimate fast-track promotion, like marrying the boss' daughter or something. His son is now up there in Paradise, being serviced by 24 doe-eyed virgins forever. Sounds like a sweet deal to me. :angel:
Potemkin wrote:In Islamist terms, it was actually an excellent career move.

In post-mujahidine Afghanistan, what other options would he have had?

Being on the payrole of the invaders?
Limb collector for funerals?

He probably chose the career path that he thought would make the most possible positive difference to the other people he grew up with and his community. If no other options existed that would make a positive difference to anyone else... this was a good and noble choice. Chasing out the invaders.
God, I wish I could go back to my naive time period in which I didn't understand the psychological motivations of Suicide Bombers.

Suicide Bombers know they're crazy. Basically "The world is absolutely nuts(which they're right about), so I'm going to commit suicide and take out a few of the other nutcases with me.... Allah will reward me in heaven!".

I told this to my own councillor once, "you can't talk them down, you either have to take them immediately out with a vengeance by force or try to reason with them by agreeing with everything they say, best chance of survival is the first one especially if you're not a Muslim, the passengers on United 93 came to the correct decision, but unfortunately did so slightly too late!" A young naive Millenial, hope it got through to her.
QatzelOk wrote:If you have any sons of your own, you know that if they want to become suicide bombers, you can't really stop them. You just have to hope that they find less dangerous work that is just as rewarding.

America's three best allies are Israel, Colombia, and Canadian mining companies - all of them love how well the USA displaces local populations with violence.

I wouldn't want my sons or daughters to become suicide bombers.

That is the main reason I never had any children, because if I did, I know in my heart of hearts they probably would be suicide bombers.
Crantag wrote:That is the main reason I never had any children, because if I did, I know in my heart of hearts they probably would be suicide bombers.

But the type of objectivity that is reflected in suicide-bombing... is a sign that your children really care about their community, and aren't selfish.

When faced with well-armed by completely selfish people, the poor suicide bomber can actually WIN, and thus, make life better for his community (that he leaves behind).
The US lost the war the Taliban will lose the peace.

They have no money. They have no clue about the urban economy.

The Taliban will probably splinter in war waging small kingdoms, and never ending war...

The famine is great now due to dry climate, under such circumstances to change economical system could end up not just chaos, but anarchy.
Sandzak wrote:The US lost the war the Taliban will lose the peace.

They have no money. They have no clue about the urban economy.

The Taliban will probably splinter in war waging small kingdoms, and never ending war...

The famine is great now due to dry climate, under such circumstances to change economical system could end up not just chaos, but anarchy.

The Taliban may indeed lose the peace. And funny thing is it may be sooner rather than later.

The Panjshir Valley is holding out. The son of Ahmad Shah Masood is resisting. This may pose a problem for the Taliban. Their march to Kabul has oftened been likened to a blitz. Except it wasnt. The Afghan Army- for a variety of reasons, or for whatever reason- did not fight. So the Taliban simply walked into Kabul. In the Panjshir the Taliban may have to actually fight for the first time. A real fight. Not just planting mines and doning suicide belts. The Panjshir valley is akin to a fortress. It held off the Soviets throughout the Soviet occupation. It also held out the Talibans during their 1996 to 2001 reign. If the Panjshir was a hard nut before, I fail to see how it is an easier nut this time.

The Taliban may have to bring up seige weapons and lay seige. For the last twenty years the Taliban has had to undertake any serious seige operations. I imagine the Panjshiris will make sure to heavily mine the approaches to their fortress. Hope the Taliban know how to operate US mine detection they may have liberated from the Afghan National Army. Because they are gonna need them. It tickles me the mere thought of the Taliban having someone else lay mines for their foot soldiers.

But it is not clear at all what is going on in the Panjshir. On Friday the Taliban claimed, or factions of the Taliban claimed that the Panjshir valley, leading to celebratory gunfire that claimed a few Kabulist civilians. It looks like it was False. Both sides have been making wild claims. Very wild claims. But one thing is certain: if the Taliban had been making progress they would have quickly taken journalists up to the Panjshir to broadcast their victory to the world. The fact that no journalist is there suggests the Talibanis may not be having an easy time in the Panjshir
colliric wrote:https://youtu.be/nzthofay3iw

Those Russian kids have a good history teacher.

Well comentated by Putin.

He presented an excellent lesson of not just history, but also current affairs.

Putin is a very wise and intelligent person.

I respect him more than I respect a single American president.

He broke it down pretty well, and concisely.

He is very intelligent.

And America is a paper tiger, fuck this country.

But, I'm glad they decided to drop my criminal charges.

Land of the fucktards, and home of the dipshits.
Last edited by Crantag on 05 Sep 2021 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
And lest anyone want to talk shit to me, I am already 8/9ths of the way or so to attaining my Austrian citizenship. I basically just need to send in a couple more pieces of paper.

It is already a done deal.

It might take me a day, a month, or 5 years.

Who gives a shit.

America is a shithole country.

And, I am possibly going to Austria.

I might be in Austria in 5 months time.

Not a pipe dream, I've been around the world, and I am Austrian, I needed to beat my legal case before I could finalize attaining my citizenship in Austria.

Fuck America. America is a shithole, and full of shit.

Anyone wanna tell me "if you don't like America, get out", guess what, I'm fucking working on it.

@Politics_Observer, I don't blame you for liking your country, especially with all the shit it's put you through, but I do not share your pride at all, and I may be on my way to the exit. I may eventually renounce my American citizenship, if it all works out.

Or, maybe not. I might just stay in Oregon, and be a farm worker.

Time will tell.
QatzelOk wrote:But the type of objectivity that is reflected in suicide-bombing... is a sign that your children really care about their community, and aren't selfish.

When faced with well-armed by completely selfish people, the poor suicide bomber can actually WIN, and thus, make life better for his community (that he leaves behind).

For once, I agree with the above statement.

While my case is more like that I am unable to find a partner to breed with me, if I need to find a reason to justify my lack of willingness to bump up my breeding eligibility I would use a reason opposite to Member crantag's: That I don't think myself capable to educate my offspring to be suicide bombers instead of totalitarianism collaborators.
Crantag wrote:And lest anyone want to talk shit to me, I am already 8/9ths of the way or so to attaining my Austrian citizenship. I basically just need to send in a couple more pieces of paper.

It is already a done deal.

It might take me a day, a month, or 5 years.

Who gives a shit.

America is a shithole country.

And, I am possibly going to Austria.

I might be in Austria in 5 months time.

Not a pipe dream, I've been around the world, and I am Austrian, I needed to beat my legal case before I could finalize attaining my citizenship in Austria.

Fuck America. America is a shithole, and full of shit.

Anyone wanna tell me "if you don't like America, get out", guess what, I'm fucking working on it.

@Politics_Observer, I don't blame you for liking your country, especially with all the shit it's put you through, but I do not share your pride at all, and I may be on my way to the exit. I may eventually renounce my American citizenship, if it all works out.

Or, maybe not. I might just stay in Oregon, and be a farm worker.

Time will tell.

I beg to differ. We can get carried away in discussions and lose grasp with reality. America IS a great country. America is easily the Roman Imperium of its time. It straddles and dominates the present civilisation. I recall some poster in Ireland commenting on up coming elections there that he was much more likely to be affected by decisions taken in DC than in Dublin. And there is more than a little truth to that. So I am not sure how one moves around the peripheries of pax americana and is under the illusion one has left America. Western Europe, Australia, much of South America etc is part of pax America. The formal American borders may be at California and Florida, but it's influence extend far beyond that. I will sat you may have to take up residence with the Taliban, the Kims, to truly brag that you have left America.

Empires come and go. Maybe tomorrow it is Russia, China, or India that replaces the US as the world's Imperium. I would be glad that it was my good fortune to live under the American Imperium than any of the others. Maybe centuries down the road the Russian, the Chinese, the Indian may be shining example, who knows, but I am talking of how they are today.

America a shithole? Churchill comes to mind. America is the worst country in the world except for all the others.

Australia a perfect country? Except the aborigines are all dead. Or at the feet of pale faces. Why let such nasty pieces of history disturb one's perceptions? Just stick up that aquiline nose in the air, close one's eyes, sniff of the dry Tasmanian air and sigh: O Australia, what a shithole!

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]